July 03, 2024, 05:00:44 AM

Author Topic: Scott Weiland found Dead  (Read 85761 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Weiland found Dead
« Reply #465 on: December 21, 2015, 10:41:53 PM »
I don't want to get all philosophical on here, but I'm glad that some of you can faithfully say that "he's in a better place". For me, I don't have that. I was brought up believing it, but somewhere along the way, I lost it. And so I approach the subject as, when a person passes, they cease to be. I know some folks may view that as a sad thought or way to live. But it's all I have right now. And for that reason, it makes me view someone's passing as a more definitive end. Thus reading those phrases of "wherever he is, hope he finds serenity" leave me somewhat empty - though I understand and appreciate the intention.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

facepollution

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 21, 2015, 11:32:49 PM »
I don't want to get all philosophical on here, but I'm glad that some of you can faithfully say that "he's in a better place". For me, I don't have that. I was brought up believing it, but somewhere along the way, I lost it. And so I approach the subject as, when a person passes, they cease to be. I know some folks may view that as a sad thought or way to live. But it's all I have right now. And for that reason, it makes me view someone's passing as a more definitive end. Thus reading those phrases of "wherever he is, hope he finds serenity" leave me somewhat empty - though I understand and appreciate the intention.

I totally hear where you are coming from.  I guess I'm glad he's not fighting that battle anymore - he didn't seem to be getting any happiness from his music, he just seemed to be going through the motions.  I don't think it would have been impossible for him to have found happiness again without drugs/alcohol, but it seemed like the odds were always massively stacked against him.

Jukebox Casualty

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 21, 2015, 11:33:34 PM »
I'm still baffled he was insurable for a tour. Guess the can-do spirit is alive and well in rock and roll. ;)

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2015, 12:52:17 AM »

I'm an atheist. I also think Scott has ceased to exist entirely.

I think that nowhere is probably a better place than where he was.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2015, 01:39:59 AM »

I'm an atheist. I also think Scott has ceased to exist entirely.

I think that nowhere is probably a better place than where he was.
Same....I believe he is exactly where he was before his life started. Nowhere.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2015, 02:09:21 AM »
Probably need to stay away from the religious and philosophical debate on this particular thread. Never ends well as we all have different opinions.

Fear 2 Stop

• Rightous Bald Dude
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • ╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2015, 02:22:07 AM »
Probably need to stay away from the religious and philosophical debate on this particular thread. Never ends well as we all have different opinions.

+1

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2015, 05:12:14 AM »
I can't believe how torn up I still am over this. I thought it would get better but it seems to get worse. I guess it is just the reality of the talent that we lost. Listening to certain songs just tears my heart out, but I guess it just makes the music that much more powerful. So thankful to have all this music to remember him by and all the memories of the concerts I was lucky enough to attend. Scott was truly amazing.

Jukebox Casualty

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2015, 05:16:02 AM »
I can't believe how torn up I still am over this. I thought it would get better but it seems to get worse. I guess it is just the reality of the talent that we lost. Listening to certain songs just tears my heart out, but I guess it just makes the music that much more powerful. So thankful to have all this music to remember him by and all the memories of the concerts I was lucky enough to attend. Scott was truly amazing.

I can relate. It impacted me more than I ever thought it could and feel like I'm still processing it.

VeiledTrickerySTP

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »

I'm sure this is how Beatles fans felt when John Lennon was killed. That was out of nowhere. With Scott the signs were there and what is most tragic is no one did anything at the end. Someone should've yanked him off tour and forced him into rehab.

Just remember the good times. No one gave Scott a chance to live to 48. We should feel lucky in that respect. He was able to get clean enough to strike gold and have a second multi platinum band with Velvet Revolver. He had the opportunity to have two kids. It could've been more like Layne so let's be thankful for what we got.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #475 on: December 22, 2015, 08:19:32 AM »
Chris Cornell on the 'glamorizing' of Scott and other rock stars deaths http://www.alternativenation.net/chris-cornell-glamorizing-scott-weiland-kurt-cobain-layne-staley/

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Jukebox Casualty

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 22, 2015, 02:28:22 PM »
The tendency to glamorize these sort of lives and deaths doesn't just apply to music; you see it in literature as well. In my opinion, it's seems to be a peculiarly American phenomenon as well. We applaud the self-destructive streak in artists as some sort of badge of authenticity. Or else snicker over how far the exceptional can fall.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 22, 2015, 04:57:15 PM »
The tendency to glamorize these sort of lives and deaths doesn't just apply to music; you see it in literature as well. In my opinion, it's seems to be a peculiarly American phenomenon as well. We applaud the self-destructive streak in artists as some sort of badge of authenticity. Or else snicker over how far the exceptional can fall.

This is so sad but so true... I mean literally a few months ago I was reading 'this guys a fucking mess', 'he's a junkie', some people were even making fun of him and his deteriorating health and then the moment he died everyone switched to 'R.I.P. Scott, you were a legend and a tortured soul' etc. I'm not just talking about on this forum (although I did see some of it here) but the whole internet and media in general, I mean even Dean and Chester (to a lesser extent) were mocking him in interviews a few months ago...
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 22, 2015, 05:18:55 PM »

This is so sad but so true... I mean literally a few months ago I was reading 'this guys a fucking mess', 'he's a junkie', some people were even making fun of him and his deteriorating health and then the moment he died everyone switched to 'R.I.P. Scott, you were a legend and a tortured soul' etc. I'm not just talking about on this forum (although I did see some of it here) but the whole internet and media in general, I mean even Dean and Chester (to a lesser extent) were mocking him in interviews a few months ago...

If I ever used harsh words against Scott, and I'm sure I did, it was never to insult him, it was because I genuinely cared and didn't know what else to say. How else can one react after seeing that performance in Texas without saying "Scott, wake the fuck up!". On the flip side, there were plenty of people here in denial who wouldn't let their brains believe what their eyes were seeing, and I think some of the more negative reactions were in response to that, wishing those fans would wake up as well.

Dean comparing Scott to Chester by saying he had the strength of a baby in comparison was rough, and I'm sure he regrets making those statements publicly now, but I truly believe they were made under the same pretenses they were made by fans here, out of frustration and concern, not hate or ridicule. I think a lot of us out there just couldn't understand why he was wasting his talent and putting his well-being in jeopardy night after night. It was difficult to watch embarrassing performances like the one in Texas or those renditions of WTRG on Purple to the Core and respond on here without speaking the truth about where he was in his life.

Everything I've ever said about Scott, good and bad, has come out of love. I believe that of everyone here too, as we're all here for the same reason.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Xylonjay

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 22, 2015, 05:45:04 PM »
dear scott,

never had a chance to really speak to you, the way I would have wanted to.
met you once for 3 seconds in 2001 in ny, at tower records. you and the rest of stp had just released shangri, and you were doing a signing. I wished you good luck that day and told you I loved your music.
what I really wanted to tell you was to please stay healthy, you have so much to live for, your blessed with so much talent, good fortune and luck, please stick with stp and please please stop doing drugs.

this morning, I woke up to a text from my friend who lives in la, saying "god...scott weiland is dead".

him and I had just recently seen you perform in ny 5 days ago. ive been along time stp/scott fan since 92 and ive seen you perform live many many times. ive grown old with you throughoutt the years!

waking up to the news that you passed away, reminded me of the time in '98, when I was waiting around irving plaza in nyc to see your solo 12BB tour, but only to find out that you were arrested for drugs, earlier that day.
I wish that that was the case this time around once again, unfortunately its not.....

scott, you were one of a kind, amazing, talented, one of the most charismatic frontmen of our time. your voice, your style, your control of the stage was truly like no other. you had all the attributes of a rock god. along with all the flaws.

like most of you all here on this site, scott, you influenced my musical taste and opened my eyes and ears to other musicians and musical styles, that I may not have listened to otherwise; bowie, beatles, jobim, Coltrane.

whenever your new cd came out, id run to the store and pick it up. id listen to your songs on repeat and try to make sense of all the intricate lyrics. id flip though the cd insert and look at all the pictures. your songs always painted a picture and took me away to another world. id often wonder, what were you thinking when you came up with those words and melodies? i'll never know....

like many of your other fans, your music was the soundtrack to my life. through the good and the bad....

listening to your songs while having drinks with friends, getting into arguments with girlfriends and making love to them a few hours later....
the time I enjoyed listening to you most was when I was home alone or driving my car alone. that was my time.
my time to really feel the passion in your music and sing it as loud as I can.
you songs and voice helped me to connect and feel my emotions at times.

your music is so important to me!

it saddens me to know that I will never again be able to hear you sing a new or old song live again, I will never be influenced or moved like that by you again.

sitting here reflecting....I think what also hurts is that a chapter in my life has now ended.
a part of my youth is now gone. im no longer a kid.
walking into your concert  5 days ago....  looking forward to seeing you scott "do your thing", always energized me.
it brought me back to a time that I was young and free.
its hard to explain...I was 17 back in '92. I was young and free, and  life was easy.
almost 25 years since that time, life is so much different.
I will never experience that feeling again.

I have so many images of you in my head and hear so many of your songs....

as I sit here, still in shock,
I know that the world keeps spinning and life goes on.
you, your smile and your music will always be in my heart mind and soul.
you rocked and I will miss you for that !!!

and that's what I would have liked to have said to scott.

rik and brett, thanks for all the great work you guys do, throughout the years.

my condolences to scotts family, may time help to ease your pain.

Beuatiful. My sentiments exactly. It's been three weeks now and it still doesn't seem real. RIP Scott