September 20, 2024, 02:36:58 PM

Author Topic: New online persona....  (Read 5368 times)

toahiaph

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
New online persona....
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »
As a long time fan (20+ years) I think I may be done with the all Mighty Weiland.
I will still continue to love the old music and consider STP my favorite band but I just cant take the fakeness anymore. [size=78%]All these new social media postings just make me shake my head. .[/size]

My experience was nothing like his social media is making it out to be.  Showing off a picture with a fan and her STP tattoo, yet I was told very specifically not to mention any of my STP tattoos to him and he HATES when fans get STP tattoos.  Going on about how his fans bring him to tears with their stories of how long they have listened and how he changed lives. Yet when I went up and shook his hand he told me he "didn't want to hear that shit" when I tried to tell him I was a long time fan.

Whoever is behind the "new" Weiland should really portray him for who he really is.

Rant over!

Melissa

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: New online persona....
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 03:50:25 PM »
If you don't mind me asking... When was your experience?  I ask because the experience you reference seems to reflect a lot of the meet and greet experiences people were having last winter/spring; but I don't think I've heard any bad meet and greet stories since about May.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 03:54:52 PM by NickLorenza »

toahiaph

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 04:00:23 PM »
 It was March 14th 2015. (Boston Ma - Brighton Music Hall)

I will never pay to find out how he is now, maybe he has changed but I can't see a turn around like that happening over night.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 04:02:01 PM by toahiaph »
Melissa

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 04:16:06 PM »
That sounds about par for the course given the time frame you mention.  As bad as your experience was, can you blame him or his management for attempting to do some PR work and damage control with the recent online persona? I don't think there's anything wrong with attempting to make positive changes.  As far as him changing overnight goes....  I don't know Scott, never met him personally.  I know he has bipolar disorder and I also don't know exactly what meds he might take.  Meds do change people's behaviors.  Maybe he's on meds now that work better for him and make him less irritable?  Or maybe he's learned to just stop acting his ass thanks to a stern talking to from his management.  Or maybe he couldn't stand the thought of the combination of that viral "Vasoline" performance along with the bad press from spring tour meet and greets dominating his Google rankings.  I don't know, but I haven't heard bad meet and greet stories in a while and I applaud him making more of an effort as of late.

STPGurl

• Original Bad Girl
  • Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
  • Sucker for SRW
    • View Profile
    • SWBGC
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
This is just my opinion and not fact - but -

I believe Tommy or Nick is handeling Scotts social media during the current tour. Both are active on social media platforms and genuinely enjoy meeting and talking with fans.

Scott has never been tech savvy ("never really spoke computer language..." 😉) and has made no attempt to hide that fact. Could Scott have learned how social media works, downloaded an app to edit the collage I posted after the show (some photos were changed in the one Scott posted to Instagram - it wasn't the same as the one I posted), reposted it, AND tagged me? Maybe. I'm not the kind of girl that likes to bet, but if I HAD to I would guess he has someone helping him with his social media platforms.

Either way, I think it's good that his accounts are more active and fan-friendly.
How could they not notice it?! Because it's a little mint.  It's a Junior Mint!

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 05:09:24 PM »
I was at the same Boston show. He didn't say anything to me, because he completely ignored me. Didn't even look at me, just put his arms around me and flipped off the camera. It bothered me for a night, then I got over it.

Maybe it's possible that his behavior earlier in the year and the backlash that came with it led him to change the way he's been acting. On this most recent tour I've read some nice things. Nobody will ever know if that's the case or not, but I'm not personally angry or offended by what he did. I think it's good someone is making an effort to make him seem like he's not an asshole, and I think deep down he isn't an asshole. Alcohol and drugs will make you that way.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 05:32:35 PM »
He acted like a real ass to me last week at his show in Kentucky. I think the drugs and such have amplified him being an ass...but, I think he must have been one all along. Nice people don't totally forget how to be nice.
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »
I don't think it's as simple as everyone's making it. Never met the guy, only opportunity I had was at a VR meet and greet where he didn't show up, so take this for what it's worth.

I'm sure he has good days and bad days just like everyone else, and that will be reflected in his attitude. But yes, I'm sure years of drug/alcohol abuse and being treated the way he has by the media has not helped things, and, while I'm not saying this is necessarily true in Scott's case, could have turned him into more of a dick around people he doesn't know. I think it's especially true for the media thing; certain people are definitely angry drunks or rude drunks, and Scott can certainly fall under one of those categories, but if I had to put my money on the reason behind why he occasionally comes off like such an asshole in these situations is the distrust he's developed towards people he doesn't know due to the things people in the media have said about him.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but I would bet that's where it comes from.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 08:44:07 PM »
This is just my opinion and not fact - but -

I believe Tommy or Nick is handeling Scotts social media during the current tour. Both are active on social media platforms and genuinely enjoy meeting and talking with fans.

Scott has never been tech savvy ("never really spoke computer language..." ) and has made no attempt to hide that fact. Could Scott have learned how social media works, downloaded an app to edit the collage I posted after the show (some photos were changed in the one Scott posted to Instagram - it wasn't the same as the one I posted), reposted it, AND tagged me? Maybe. I'm not the kind of girl that likes to bet, but if I HAD to I would guess he has someone helping him with his social media platforms.

Either way, I think it's good that his accounts are more active and fan-friendly.

I'm 99% certain it's Tommy. He's pretty much always at Scott's side these days, it seems. Interviews, meet and greets, etc. I think he's pretty much Scott's handler these days.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:47:07 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 01:55:25 AM »
I feel ya...I saw Him at The El Rey & the Grammy Museum & I just don't feel the connection...2 me, it's just 4 Guys up there...It's painful & it's heartbreaking...Painful cuz I've listened 2 STP 4 over 20 & I consider Him in the Top 5 Fave Vocals & Inspirations (funny, singing His Songs have actually helped Me sing Stevie Nicks a lot better...then when I have a "Challenge" song, I just think, "How would SWeiland sing it" Bingo  :) )

Alas, somebody decided 2 post the "Evil Vasoline" video & it has caused serious damage on all levels...like, when He sang it at the Show, I couldn't help but think, "maybe they should put that song away 4 awhile" why did I have 2 click on it, man...

Music has always been My First Love & even My X couldn't understand it so 2 C a Guy that I Admire a great deal Musically, spiral downwards 2 this situation, yes I can say it hurts & it's difficult 2 listen 2 the Albums...So maybe  all this social media is probably Damage Control & most likely either a staff member, his Wife or like U Guys said, His bandmates R doing the posting...whatever the deal, after reading postings of PPL's terrible experiences of meeting Him in person & how he doesn't like doing them, then I have 2 doubt that's Him posting that stuff cuz it's worse online than in person so why would He deal w/ that? I also have serious reservations about wanting 2 meet Him cuz I would hate 2 have 2 experience His evilness & destroy whatever is left which is why it's so heartbreaking cuz I really would like 2 have a conversation w/ Him about all things Music...

It's a Strange Love 4 Sure

8) :-*
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 02:43:16 AM »
Guys, lets not forget the man is bipolar. Mood swings and sh*t.

When I met him in London last september he was not talkative at all. Like I posted on my review, he seemed high. But he went out after the show was over to meet the fans and I was the second person to get to talk to him and I literally told him the same thing, that his music has changed my life and that im probably his biggest fan in my whole country. He didnt go beyond the "thank you" but agreed to sign my ticket and afterwards even pose for a picture (WHICH IM STILL LOOKING FOR; I LOST IT. THAT GERMAN WOMAN TOOK IT AND RAN AWAY, HELP ME FIND IT, PLEASE!). I wish he had said something more, but Im happy I got to tell Scott Weiland what I think about his music and how much it means to me.

My point is, perhaps he just had a bad day back in Boston, consequence of whatever personal issue could be, or due to him being bi polar. Fame is tough, and Scott doesnt even feel comfortable around people. He just said it on Brett's interview. What if that day he wasnt feeling it at all yet he HAD to deal with it beacuse of the paid meet and greet?
Seems like you left me when you broke down

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 05:07:01 PM »
I think that Scott should stop selling meet & greets, and only go out and meet people when he is in the mood for it. I know he needs the money, but it would actually help with his public image if he did this.

I only met him once (and this was a bit before his dismissal from STP) at the hotel where he was staying here in Argentina (me and 3 other friends waited for him to come out) and he was really nice and sweet to us that day. We were probably lucky that he was in a good mood and willing to talk to us. When I went to see STP at Huntington in 2012 we never got to see Scott, he pretty much hid from fans, probably because he wasn't in the mood to deal with talking to strangers. And I think that is actually better than him meeting people in a bad mood and being dismissive or rude.
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 07:24:14 AM »
Short of getting a cool autograph or something that makes for long term memorabilia, there's really no reason to meet these people. The worst thing is to meet someone that you are a huge fan of and have their own biases come out on you (maybe they'll just decide right away that they don't like you, a kind of judgement that many people make), or to find out that they are just asswipe people.

Enjoy the music. Realize that these people will do nothing for your life outside of the music which you've probably paid for and that's that.

The root of what I am saying is coming from the fact that most fandom exists by virtue of believing somehow that something about these people could rub off on you as a fan, or be a benefit to your life. If you are really a fan of the music, there's really not much more to it short of supporting the music.  Even a picture with a celebrity is fairly lame. Once you get past the "Cool, I was there!" factor, you realize the picture just captured a moment where you were in the same room rather than capturing any kind of relationship.

Just my .02.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 07:25:56 AM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 04:35:02 PM »
Someone replied with the following to Scott's Facebook post about the Nashville show:

"Thanks Scott for not signing my vinyl last night for a REAL fan...People don't fall for this new Scott..Major prick outside the PAID meet and greetI drove three hours to go to this show...never again"

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 05:59:31 PM »
Someone replied with the following to Scott's Facebook post about the Nashville show:

"Thanks Scott for not signing my vinyl last night for a REAL fan...People don't fall for this new Scott..Major prick outside the PAID meet and greetI drove three hours to go to this show...never again"

That's also maybe not entirely fair either. We have no idea the circumstances under which he didn't sign this guy's vinyl. Maybe the guy was 35 feet away screaming in a crowded room for a signature. Who knows?
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015