October 02, 2024, 03:30:48 AM

Author Topic: Possible replacements for Chester to front STP - THE YOUTUBE CANDIDATES THREAD!  (Read 4936 times)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
He is what he is. We've been preaching for years about how he could change and how great it'd be but the honest truth is he's almost 50 years old and is not gonna change now. The best we can hope for is a halfway decent, halfway healthy Scott for the next decade or so.

And the only thing I learned from those youtubes is how calamitous America's obesity epidemic is becoming.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
At this point, it's all about the damage to his voice. He doesn't have "touring voice", he has severe damage to his vocal chords and what appears to be a weakened lung capacity. I don't think any amount of effort can bring him back to a condition that can objectively be described as 'good'... At least not for STP's catalog.

It's kind of moot, because the man clearly just doesn't give a shit about his voice. Almost every photo I've seen of him behind the scenes for the current tour he has had a cigarette in his hand. His voice has been a on a downward spiral since 2007, and I just think it's beyond the point of no return.

He gave some fairly strong performances earlier in the year, especially after he recovered from the Corpus Christi debacle... I think that is the best shape his voice can be in now, and while that works fine for playing 5-6 STP/VR songs a night, there's no way he has the stamina to do an 18 song set of STP songs day in and day out.

Basically, the best we can hope for from Scott is 'good for Scott', not 'good.'

These are all valid points... I guess part of me is still holding out for a miracle.

I don't want this to be the end of STP.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
At this point, it's all about the damage to his voice. He doesn't have "touring voice", he has severe damage to his vocal chords and what appears to be a weakened lung capacity. I don't think any amount of effort can bring him back to a condition that can objectively be described as 'good'... At least not for STP's catalog.

It's kind of moot, because the man clearly just doesn't give a shit about his voice. Almost every photo I've seen of him behind the scenes for the current tour he has had a cigarette in his hand. His voice has been a on a downward spiral since 2007, and I just think it's beyond the point of no return.

He gave some fairly strong performances earlier in the year, especially after he recovered from the Corpus Christi debacle... I think that is the best shape his voice can be in now, and while that works fine for playing 5-6 STP/VR songs a night, there's no way he has the stamina to do an 18 song set of STP songs day in and day out.

These are all valid points... I guess part of me is still holding out for a miracle.

Even if that 'miracle' did happen, what would we get? Scott doesn't hold himself to a high standard of performance, he obviously has no interest in being in the same room as the rest of the band. All that we would get would be another greatest hits tour, this one worse than before because of Scott's continuing decline in vocal quality, maybe we'd get another STP album where Scott mails in some half assed vocals like in S/T and Art of Anarchy. We're not going to get Blaster featuring STP. We're not going to get a tour like Scott's solo tours where he at least seems interested in the music. Just a band going through the motions all over again.

The very last thing I want to see is Scott back in STP. We've been down that road before, and all it brought us was mediocrity.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Even if that 'miracle' did happen, what would we get? Scott doesn't hold himself to a high standard of performance, he obviously has no interest in being in the same room as the rest of the band. All that we would get would be another greatest hits tour, this one worse than before because of Scott's continuing decline in vocal quality, maybe we'd get another STP album where Scott mails in some half assed vocals like in S/T and Art of Anarchy. We're not going to get Blaster featuring STP. We're not going to get a tour like Scott's solo tours where he at least seems interested in the music. Just a band going through the motions all over again.

The very last thing I want to see is Scott back in STP. We've been down that road before, and all it brought us was mediocrity.

Keep thinking your going to punch yourself out.  Aren't you tired of bashing Scott, yet?  Jeez.  It sounds personal..........Did he fuck your Mom in the ass and not call her the next day?  Give it a rest already.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
He looks ready to me! https://www.instagram.com/p/-C72njnyyi/

Hey look, management heeded our words and started doing more on that social media account. Kudos.
Bleeda blooda

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
You've seen right through me, Pepper. Deep down, I know that Scott is an amazingly dedicated, stand up guy who is every bit as talented and committed now as he was in his peak... But alas, he ignored me when I waved to him at the airport years ago, and since then I have dedicated my entire life to sullying this great man's reputation.

I am ashamed of this facade, and I apologize for perpetuating it for so long.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Scott Weiland has an absolutely kickass band now, I don't want to see him back in STP because I think it would just be another miserable half assed, forced affair.

But I would love to see him record an album with his new lineup. And ditch the fuzz as well, Castillo and Maybury are far too talented to be drowned in that, they could make a feral rock album if they wanted too.

CoreurpletinyNo4ShangriY

• I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES! I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES!
  • Pilot
  • I know the questions but I lost the answers
    • View Profile
Scott Weiland has an absolutely kickass band now, I don't want to see him back in STP because I think it would just be another miserable half assed, forced affair.

But I would love to see him record an album with his new lineup. And ditch the fuzz as well, Castillo and Maybury are far too talented to be drowned in that, they could make a feral rock album if they wanted too.

I agree about ditching the fuzz. They could make a less jack white-esque record. Maybe something like Purple or No4. Danny and other drummers are also responsible for the blaster studio tracks so imagine an album with Castillo on drums. That would be killer.
STP Shows: 9/5/10 - 7/26/11 - 8/6/11 - 9/10/11 - 8/24/12
STP with Chester: 9/6/13 - 4/25/15
Weiland Shows: 11/28/12 - 3/12/13 - 8/14/13 - 9/14/14
- 3/10/15 - 11/28/15

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

I agree about ditching the fuzz. They could make a less jack white-esque record. Maybe something like Purple or No4. Danny and other drummers are also responsible for the blaster studio tracks so imagine an album with Castillo on drums. That would be killer.

I agree with all of this. I also think it would be great if Scott got Brendan O' Brien to produce the next record, he did such a great job on the STP records and 'Libertad'. I get that Scott was intentionally going for that fuzzy garage rock sound on 'Blaster' and I enjoy the album but yeah I think he should go for a cleaner sound next time round, it'd be nice to hear everyone properly in the mix.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
A Brendan O'Brien produced Wildabouts with the current lineup would slay so hardcore. Hope Scott's management is watching and listening!!
Bleeda blooda

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
It's odd really that none of the band mention him that much. Scott's recent comments are the most anybody has said about Brendan for a while.

But he was there for every album through the first run, I don't see how that cannot be a huge deal for them. He's always been like the 5th Beatle to me.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Even I would be interested in an O'Brien produced Wildabouts album, but I don't think they can afford him. The last album was pledge funded and sold horribly, I don't see them having the money for O'Brien.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Now that the band really are considering random no name singers to front the band I feel this topic has become relevant again. Do you think any of the guys in this threads original post will apply and do you think any of them could cut it?
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long