October 02, 2024, 03:34:04 AM

Author Topic: Possible replacements for Chester to front STP - THE YOUTUBE CANDIDATES THREAD!  (Read 4937 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Okay, so I think one thing we all agree on around here is that STP need a guy who is already a huge fan of the band just like Chester was but they also need someone with no other band ties who can commit 100% of their time to STP. These following people tick both boxes. I figured I'd save the Deleo's & Kretz some time and hit Youtube myself in search of possible candidates. I'll post my favorites here and if you find someone who you think is good enough for the job that I may have missed please feel free to post a link in this thread. Let's get these guys working on some new music again!!

Guy singing 'Crackerman' whilst driving - This guy certainly looks the part with the shades and goatee and also proves he can multitask as he growls along to 'Crackerman' whilst taking his eyes off the road. He also has a screamto rival Chester's as displayed during the solo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY8xnM7a3V8

Guy singing 'Interstate Love Song' out of key and pulling strange faces - If you were a fan of some of Scott Weiland's worst shows this could be your guy... He looks like he's quite possibly high and sings many notes in the wrong key... It's kinda like being at the Corpus Christ show all over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJvBil9zAV0

Overweight Scott Weiland lookalike nails 'Wicked Garden - This guy not only proves he can sing (even adding his own little touch on certain parts) but he also LOOKS like an overweight version of Scott Weiland with a beard! Well a cross between him and Santa Clause anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhsDgCY97g

School kid performs 'Plush' in class - The Deleo's were saying in interviews after recruiting Chester that they wanted a younger healthier guy. Well this guy is younger and healthier than Scott and Chester but he may have other commitments like homework.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOv2ucmGtOw

Guy in glasses and Where's Waldo jumper performs 'Sex Type Thing - If it's passion in a performance you want then look no further than this guy. Not only can he nail that Scottie growl from the 'Core Days' but he's also very expressive with his hand movements. He forgets the words a few times though and has to look at the words but he'd be fine with a teleprompter and a change of clothes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkGaDCtuj-o

Guy who looks like Eric Kretz performs a solid version of 'Plush' - If you're just looking for a guy who can do a decent job of singing the songs then here's your guy. I actually prefer his version of 'Plush' to 'Chester's. It could get confusing for the Deleo's though when they're trying to work out which one is Eric.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwnBthBtkTE

European guy singing 'Interstate' - Perhaps you fancy a bit of STP but with an accent?? I'm not sure where Cesar is from exactly but he can sing and even films his videos in slow motion and black & white like a pro.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5PjbaKM8SQ

Girl performs 'Creep' on acoustic - So the guys decided that they loved playing with Joss Stone so much that they want a female singer but Joss is too busy you say? Well look no further, not only can this girl sing STP she can play the guitar too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV29mH0Nmww

Spaced/Drugged out girl performs 'Plush'... Eventually - Maybe they want a female but one with that spaced out vibe that Scott had going on during the reunion. She seems to be having problems getting the song to start but after that she's away!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9w5E2Qr3KI

Someone's dad performs 'Trippin on a hole...' - Perhaps this could be the new look for STP?? After all they are no spring chickens. This guy isn't dressing like a rock star or pretending to be younger than he is either. He's a dad and he's drunk and he wants to sing!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbOHMGRbDOg

The 'Lounge Fly's' perform an hour of STP classics - If they want someone who will dress up like Scott Weiland like Chester had started doing a bit towards the end then the singer from 'The Lounge Fly's' is the guy for the job... He looks far too comfortable in the nazi outfit though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX2f7iMATEg

That's all for now, I'm sure there are many more hopefuls out there just waiting for this gig!!

Also please comment on who you think would be the best out of the above singers... I'm going with the Eric Kretz lookalike!!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:42:48 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

mothball

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Of all the vids you have listed here, Cesar knocked it out of the park and none of those other guys even came close. Not even close. Dude was competent and the rest of them were clowns. The girl singing Creep, Kayla, was the best female vocalist by a mile.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
European guy singing was great.  The Kretz lookalike was pretty solid too.  Acoustic female was good.  Some of the other videos, Scott's vocals playing at the same time did a good job hiding their weak performances, but kudos to them for putting it out their on the web.

With the Lounge Fly's, the instruments are holding it down pretty tight, but the singer is just failing.  I also have an issue with cover bands who mimic way too many aspects of the real band.  The wardrobe, the movements, other mannerisms (all the singer is missing is a travel thermos with a tea bag sticking out of it, along with a Gatorade on the drum riser)....when it seems overintentional, it just rubs me the wrong way.  The singer should spend more time working his vocals, and less time tracking down replica (or possibly authentic) Nazi hats.  Unless you're covering KISS or Twisted Sister, you don't have to try and mimic so much.  Again, that's just IMO.  It's easy for me to sit back and judge.  So kudos to them for getting together and doing it and posting it on the web.  I'm sure its a better job than I would do. 
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I actually posted this while Chester was still in the band to prove to certain deluded people on here that Chester wasn't the 'saviour' of STP and in fact many 'regular Joe's' could sing the songs just as well as him if not better. I prefer this guys singing on 'Piece of Pie' to Chester's, mainly because it hasn't got that whiney thing going on vocally that Chester always does. Of course STP would never hire a fat unknown guy even if he was amazing because they want to be affiliated with a big name that will bring a whole new fanbase along with him and will make them the absolute max amount of cash possible.

Check this dude out though, the whole band are tight.

Piece of Pie -
http://youtu.be/LDTTYp5jvG4

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Scott can be the only guy now.

If the Deleos were to start a fresh new band, who could be some possible vocalist candidates?

Chris Cornell
Ed Kowalczyk
Kevin Martin
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Scott can be the only guy now.

If the Deleos were to start a fresh new band, who could be some possible vocalist candidates?

Chris Cornell
Ed Kowalczyk
Kevin Martin

If it were a completely new band, not STP but more a supergroup thing like Army of Anyone then there's a few singers I'd like to hear them work with but not all of these guys are free right now -

Mike Patton
Brandon Boyd
Whitfield Crane
Maynard James Keenan
Chris Cornell (as you mentioned)

They're 5 very talented singers that spring to mind but I would also really like another Army of Anyone album with Richard Patrick on vocals.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:52:10 PM by CagedTiger »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Chris Cornell simply would not do it, I reckon.

Ed Kowalwhatever absolutely sucks donkey balls. He already ruined Live with his stupid Happy Clappy bullshit, and even when he was good, his voice was not a good fit for the Deleos IMO.

Kevin Martin was really fucking good on The Gracious Few. I could see it. I'd like to hear it.

Mike Patton is a god. But he'd never do it.

I don't know much about Incubus, but what I have heard sucked. He has a decent voice though.

Whitfield Crane, I only heard a couple of Ugly Kid Joe tracks, but his voice is good. No obvious reason he couldn't work well with them.

Maynard James Keenan would probably laugh the suggestion out of the room.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Chris Cornell would be awful. His voice wouldn't fit, and that's when he was still able to sing.

I think at this point Scott is the only one, which is why it can't happen. Going back to coming on stage late with a lead singer that is bombed and can't remember the songs and refuses to interact with the band back stage.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I agree it's Scott or bust now.

But he's really gotta be willing to work with them some. Honestly, they should all hire a fucking therapist like Metallica did.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Honestly, they should all hire a fucking therapist like Metallica did.

Hey, there's an idea.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Honestly, they should all hire a fucking therapist like Metallica did.

Hey, there's an idea.

They tried that long ago. Phil Towle was hired. Didn't work.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

But he's really gotta be willing to work with them some. Honestly, they should all hire a fucking therapist like Metallica did.

At this point, nothing in the world can make Scott sound good again. Even if he was 100% commited to the band and stone sober, it would still be a mediocre version of the band. Slow tempos, everything tuned down, shaky vocals, and no energy on stage.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Look guys, the fact here is that none of us will agree upon a particular replacement.  Admittedly I don't know all the names that have been thrown out here, but what I can say is this.  The Deleos write their original music in a signature style that doesn't mesh well with just anyone.  Ever notice that a lot of their tunes are difficult to play and sing at the same time?  The melodies there aren't necessarily just natural, it takes some real talent to come up with some of the melodies in their tunes.  This goes to show just how much chemistry these guys had with Scott.  Musically Scott speaks their language and they speak his.  It's a really unique complimentary situation where they really do need each other to be at the absolute pinnacle of their game. True magical chemistry.

Can the Deleos find another guy to just try and be Scott from years gone by on stage for their tours?  Yes, fuck I could even do that and I bet a few of you reading this could too.  But to find another partner to fill the shoes of coming up with the original melodies to dance around their instrumental parts is a very tall order.  (Not discrediting Coutts' work with the guys. It was fantastic, but it wasn't STP.)

To back that up...After seeing Chester perform live with STP for myself I walked away changing my tune about him a little saying instead that he did fine and had energy on the old tunes, but I still wasn't a fan of Chester's originals with the band. That being the case the band could hire any good karaoke singer who could mimick Scott's stage persona.  That doesn't mean they could move forward with new material that would be good though.  That's where Scott is the magic man for these guys.  Would I have been curious to see a non-rushed full length release from the guys with Chester?  Given the situation, sure why not....  I would have been curious to see what they could do, but I wasn't getting my hopes up cause there's only 1 man who can truly fill those shoes in STP. No one person in this band is greater than the sum here. But without just 1 piece they don't have the puzzle completed. They need each other, all of them do, and they need to make records together, WITH Brendan O' Brien producing.

The 1 thing I feel we all can agree on is that as of this present moment Scott needs to be that man.  It doesn't have to happen today, tommorrow, next week or even 3 months.  But when it does, it really is Scott or bust now.

If they need to go the Metallica route and do the group therapy thing then so be it.  Whatever it takes. Together they can all save the legacy if they can make just 1 more absolutely killer album TOGETHER.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

At this point, nothing in the world can make Scott sound good again. Even if he was 100% commited to the band and stone sober, it would still be a mediocre version of the band. Slow tempos, everything tuned down, shaky vocals, and no energy on stage.

I think we pretty much see eye to eye most of the time but C'mon Blue!  I mean I saw enough of the reunion shows last time around and I know exactly what you mean, but let's have a little faith here!  This could be a fresh start! You mean to tell me you don't believe that if Scott could sober up a little, strengthen his voice, get a personal trainer, and get his heart into life again that he couldn't front this band?  I think he can. Not without some work but I think he can. If Mick can be up there running around a stage with The Stones at his age there's no way Scott Weiland can't get into shape and do it at his age.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

I think we pretty much see eye to eye most of the time but C'mon Blue!  I mean I saw enough of the reunion shows last time around and I know exactly what you mean, but let's have a little faith here!  This could be a fresh start! You mean to tell me you don't believe that if Scott could sober up a little, strengthen his voice, get a personal trainer, and get his heart into life again that he couldn't front this band?  I think he can. Not without some work but I think he can. If Mick can be up there running around a stage with The Stones at his age there's no way Scott Weiland can't get into shape and do it at his age.

At this point, it's all about the damage to his voice. He doesn't have "touring voice", he has severe damage to his vocal chords and what appears to be a weakened lung capacity. I don't think any amount of effort can bring him back to a condition that can objectively be described as 'good'... At least not for STP's catalog.

It's kind of moot, because the man clearly just doesn't give a shit about his voice. Almost every photo I've seen of him behind the scenes for the current tour he has had a cigarette in his hand. His voice has been a on a downward spiral since 2007, and I just think it's beyond the point of no return.

He gave some fairly strong performances earlier in the year, especially after he recovered from the Corpus Christi debacle... I think that is the best shape his voice can be in now, and while that works fine for playing 5-6 STP/VR songs a night, there's no way he has the stamina to do an 18 song set of STP songs day in and day out.

Basically, the best we can hope for from Scott is 'good for Scott', not 'good.'
Grab the hate and drown it out...