September 29, 2024, 05:22:56 PM

Author Topic: Pics of PledgeMusic megaphones from Weiland  (Read 6448 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Pics of PledgeMusic megaphones from Weiland
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 09:10:30 AM »
That signature is hilarious. But honestly I think fans are going to find themselves disappointed. The original listing says "some" have been used in the studio and some live, but it does not say all of them have been used at all, just that they have been sat in a warehouse, and if one had been used for 5 minutes in a studio, it would probably still look new.

It's not at all surprising this would be made in China, so I don't know why that's a thing, almost all crappy electronic goods are made in China.

If all the megaphones look like that, with that quality of signature, they sure are right to be a bit miffed, but I bet legally Scott's people are probably in the clear.

TaylorCJ

• Co-Pilot
  • We told her that you loved her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
Everyone who gets one of these things with the brand new sticker on it should send it right back and ask for a refund. I had some smaller priced items get delayed as well, I can't imagine how pissed I would be if I had dropped $ 500 and been this disappointed.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 01:26:05 PM »
It's not at all surprising this would be made in China, so I don't know why that's a thing, almost all crappy electronic goods are made in China.

I don't think it's the fact that it was made in China, I think it's the fact that the sticker was still on it, leading people to believe it hadn't been used. I don't see this as the smoking gun as much as I do the fact that the factory packaging was still in the battery department and the mint condition of the megaphone. You can see in the picture Brett used for the article the one Scott's using there is literally being held together by a piece of masking tape.

Just take a look at these pictures...these ones are beat up. You'd figure he'd use them to death and at least a different set of batteries would be inside

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:32:12 PM by Slither »
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 02:08:00 PM »
Yeah I agree they are probably unused, but like I said, the original pledge does not guarantee you a used microphone. It says they are original tour microphones, they have them in a warehouse, and some have been used live, some have been used in the studio. It doesn't say they were all used though. 

They probably ARE tour microphones because they took the box on tour with them, but nowhere does it guarantee that you will get one that was actually used. I do think it is deliberately worded to be confusing, but I don't reckon they have broken the letter of the law.

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:32:39 PM »
I disagree. Here's the original item description:

"We have 25 of these in the warehouse. Some have been used on STP and Velvet Revolver tours. Some during the recordings of STP and Velvet Revolver albums. You will receive on of these megaphones, but we may not be able to tell you exactly when and where it was used." [emphasis added]

This description implies that all of the megaphones were used. It does not not say "...we may not be able to tell you if it was used."

There are laws in place that protect consumers when the goods they receive do not match their description. At minimum, the people who bought these megaphones are entitled to refunds. I think Pledge Music will do the right thing. Also, some credit cards offer protection for situations like this.

Good luck to everyone who spent $500 with high hopes several months ago. You should be able to get your money back without any problems. Of course, nothing can take away your disappointment.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 03:51:41 PM »
Sorry I think you are wrong. It may have been written to give the impression they have been used, but nothing about that statement legally binds them to send you a used one.

It states that you'll get a megaphone, some were used, and that they can't tell you where, nothing more.

It doesn't matter if they use the word "if" or not, since they never said they were all used in the first place, they were careful to use the word some, twice.

Anyway, I guess we'll see. I would hope they give out refunds, but I bet they don't.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:58:17 PM by Pingfah »

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 04:01:55 PM »
According to the Federal Trade Commission, when consumers see or hear an advertisement, whether it’s on the Internet, radio or television, or anywhere else, federal law says that ad must be truthful, not misleading, and, when appropriate, backed by scientific evidence. The Federal Trade Commission enforces these truth-in-advertising laws, and it applies the same standards no matter where an ad appears – in newspapers and magazines, online, in the mail, or on billboards or buses.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 04:09:32 PM »
Well, we'll see. I wish people the best of luck.

DumbLove

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 04:28:35 PM »
The title of the item was "The Original Signed Tour Megaphone" - that's pretty clear to me that it is a megaphone that has been used by the artist and not a copy or unused imitation.  Thank you, Brett for posting an article to get publicity because it is clearly bullshit what they are trying to pull.  I'm not a lawyer but HelloItsLate posting of FTC regulation also makes it very likely this would be in violation of these are proven to be new and not as described.  You would think Scott's team would try to make amends and make things right to avoid yet another PR disaster, but then again, that would make too much sense.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
It doesn't say, Some with STP, some with VR, some in the studio and some waiting to get used. Also the last line says we won't be able to tell you when or where it WAS used. WAS USED. Something that was used can't be brand new.

Another home run for Scott.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 04:48:56 PM by foou33 »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 04:57:54 PM »
Also the last line says we won't be able to tell you when or where it WAS used. WAS USED.

That's what I mean, it is doublespeak.

If I say "I have 25 cars, I have driven some of them, I will give you one of my cars, but I can't tell you when I drove it." that doesn't mean I drove all of the cars. That's a pretty straight paraphrase of what they said.

It IS misleading though, as it is deliberately confusing, so Helloitslate might be correct about it being illegal.

I'm not making excuses, what they did is bullshit, I am just musing on how they might get out of it.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 04:58:15 PM »
Slither posted some pics with megaphones that look like the pics in pledge music. If you're unhappy,return it.  As with most things that grunge report posts, it's silly and he's just trying to get his clicks up. Stop falling for it. He's using you.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 05:10:27 PM »
Also the last line says we won't be able to tell you when or where it WAS used. WAS USED.

That's what I mean, it is doublespeak.

If I say "I have 25 cars, I have driven some of them, I will give you one of my cars, but I can't tell you when I drove it." that doesn't mean I drove all of the cars. That's a pretty straight paraphrase of what they said.

It IS misleading though, as it is deliberately confusing, so Helloitslate might be correct about it being illegal.

I'm not making excuses, what they did is bullshit, I am just musing on how they might get out of it.

the use of the word some separates STP, VR and the studio. In your example the word some separates driven and and not driven. For the offer to be as you say it is, it should use the word "if". We won't be able to tell you when and where or if they were used.

But whatever, it's all Brett's fault I guess.

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 05:13:05 PM »
Zero regret cancelling my megaphone order back in May.  I guess Scott did me a favor delaying the shipment so I could avoid the extra disappointment.
Sin make me strong.