September 17, 2024, 08:59:21 PM

Author Topic: Number Four topic  (Read 33479 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Number Four topic
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2017, 09:07:43 AM »
Wow, I was just thinking about this anniversary today. 18 years!
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2017, 03:58:37 PM »
Its one of there CDs that I actually bought the day it came out, I can remember it like it was last week :)
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

seattlesound

• Sky Captain
  • If night was longer, could I escape the day?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2017, 05:18:47 PM »
Such vivid memories of when the Sour Girl video was playing on my 8th grade teachers tv as we were waiting for the bell... he was one of those cool teachers who liked the good music going at the time and had no issue turning vh1 on for a few minutes. I remember everyone being intrigued and focused on the moody pop song as scott did his stuff for the video.

Sarah Michelle Geller being a very relevant actress helped bring so much more attention... really cool time.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
I recall hearing Down for the first time. The song's initial impression on me was kind of a blend of AIC and the Melvins. I was really happy that STP got heavy again. (At the time I was 16 and wanted Core 2.0....) An old buddy who was huge into metal was actually the first person I knew to own the album. His tastes were more Pantera, Iron Maiden, and Megadeth; so I was a bit surprised when h bought it. A few days later he said to me, "wanna borrow this? It's got a few heavy songs but way too much light shit on it." I checked it out and fell in love with it instantly. The heavier songs gave me my fix, (although I could still probably take or leave No Way Out) but it was the songs that weren't balls to the wall that impressed me most. Glide, I Got You, Atlanta, Sour Girl, all such fantastically thought out. It was the kind of music that touches the soul.

I also remember it being a really confusing time in the fall of 1999 because there were No.4 posters and stickers at the local record store but Scott wasn't a free man at the time, and there was no promotion of the album besides the said posters and stickers. It was like the album dropped and just fell flat on its face because there was no way to support it.

Once the spring time came around and that Sour Girl video came out it was like someone took a defibrillator to the album. It was such a delayed buzz about it. Just very strange. Once it took off though, it did with a great momentum that you could really feel as a fan. No the album wasn't as commercially big as Purple or Core, but just seeing all the tv appearances and all the tour dates....As a fan I could tell at the time that those guys were on track for real. They were really trying hard. They also looked like they really genuinely were having fun!!! I only wish it could have stayed that way for the rest of their careers. Perhaps that's why so many of us see the No. 4 era as a golden era for this band.

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
Its one of there CDs that I actually bought the day it came out, I can remember it like it was last week :)

Bought my copy on release day at the Crow's Nest in downtown Chicago, which is no longer. Listened to it on train on the way home from school.

I was immediately drawn to Down, Heaven & Hotrods, and Sex & Violence, considering they were promoting the album as a return to the hard rock style. However, I still felt at the time that the album had an identity crisis, as if it wasn't sure what route to take. For example, I thought Down would have fit on Core and Church on Tuesday could have been a Tiny Music outtake. The track that really caught me off guard was Atlanta. Scott's vocals were incredible, and it remains one of my favorite tracks from the album to this day. If I had to pick my top five favorite tracks, it would have to be Down, I Got You, Atlanta, H&H, and Glide.

I have been very vocal about my disdain for Pruno on this board in the past, and while it still isn't a favorite STP track of mine, it has grown on me.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2017, 05:41:44 PM »
I bought it from Tower Records in London, and I took it home and took LSD before I listened to it.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 03, 2017, 06:58:58 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, this was their last album that went platinum. 
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

TheWaterThatYouLeave

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 03, 2017, 11:30:33 PM »
I bought it from Tower Records in London, and I took it home and took LSD before I listened to it.

I didn't *specifically* do this... But...close enough. Late '90s England eh?