September 28, 2024, 09:20:01 AM

Author Topic: STP - Cleveland, OH @ House Of Blues - September 15, 2015  (Read 4395 times)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP - Cleveland, OH @ House Of Blues - September 15, 2015
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 07:51:49 PM »
Here's a list of all the non-single tracks they've played since the reunion in '08, not counting D&B, Crackerman and Wicked Garden since they are pretty much staples:

Sin
Piece of Pie
Meatplow
Lounge Fly
Still Remains
Pretty Penny
Silvergun Superman
Unglued
Army Ants
Pop's Love Suicide
Tumble in the Rough
Adhesive
Seven Caged Tigers
Heaven & Hotrods
Pruno
Church on Tuesday
Sex & Violence
Coma
Black Again
Too Cool Queenie
Bi-Polar Bear
All in the Suit That You Wear
Huckleberry Crumble
Hickory Dichotomy
Dare if You Dare
Bagman

It's hard to imagine anyone looking at that list with disappointment. My only complaint is that they didn't play more new material when touring in support of new albums, but that problem goes back to No. 4 era.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:58:27 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 08:22:22 PM »
The problem is they're predictable.  Unless some drunk guy gets on stage or Dean decides to yell at some heckler.........Scott on the other hand.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 08:28:12 PM »
BLUe that's a great list u got, why don't they use that list for a SETLIST, why not! Get crazy with it .new vocalist new energy some cool Zeppelin covers and Beatles covers why stay missionary style all the time, throw a curve ball. Acoustic sets, hell do a whole concert acoustically why the hell not. Chester has great vocals the concert would sound great regardless.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 08:32:56 PM »
Stone temple pilots albums are all different and amazing, it's surprising their live shows set lists are so predictable even when Scott was with them.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 09:00:07 PM »
BLUe that's a great list u got, why don't they use that list for a SETLIST, why not! Get crazy with it .new vocalist new energy some cool Zeppelin covers and Beatles covers why stay missionary style all the time, throw a curve ball. Acoustic sets, hell do a whole concert acoustically why the hell not. Chester has great vocals the concert would sound great regardless.

I understand where you are coming from, but look at the bigger picture.  Very very very few bands would play a setlist full of non-singles and that goes for our beloved STP, too.  I've been to quite a few STP shows and on most non-single tracks, they get a luke-warm reception.

The average STP fan is not us, it's a dude in his mid-40's looking to get his drink on and is looking for some 90's nostalgia for one night.  He's looking to hear Plush, Interstate Love Song, Creep, Dead and Bloated, Vasoline, Trippin', Wicked Garden, Big Empty, and maybe a couple others. 
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 09:49:14 PM »

I understand where you are coming from, but look at the bigger picture.  Very very very few bands would play a setlist full of non-singles and that goes for our beloved STP, too.  I've been to quite a few STP shows and on most non-single tracks, they get a luke-warm reception.

The average STP fan is not us, it's a dude in his mid-40's looking to get his drink on and is looking for some 90's nostalgia for one night.  He's looking to hear Plush, Interstate Love Song, Creep, Dead and Bloated, Vasoline, Trippin', Wicked Garden, Big Empty, and maybe a couple others. 

It's not even about that mid-40's drunk guy. The simple fact of the matter is that most people who go to a bands show either haven't seen the band before or haven't seen the band in years. We bitch and we moan because we either see the band yearly or troll Youtube for live videos every time they tour.

Your average fan, even if they have all the albums and listen to them regularly, isn't going to spend hundreds of dollars seeing a band every year. Maybe there's a guy who saw them twice or three times before, but it's been 5 years since then and he's not going to bitch about hearing Interstate Love Song again.

Most people in the audience, however, have NEVER heard Interstate live and will be disappointed when they don't. Much more disappointed than you are about them not playing a set entirely composed of cletic yodeling and gregorian chants.

How many people do you think saw them in Cali or New York or Colorado, then flew all the way to Cleveland a few months later only to be disappointed they're playing the same set?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:57:09 PM by Blue »

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 10:04:20 PM »
Like I said before. Keep the five main nostalgic rock radio hits, plush interstate vasoline big empty trippin ok... Now the rest would be songs that they rarely play It's not rocket science
Let me help:

Dumb love
Vasoline.                                    radio song
Pruno
Meat plow
Hazy daze
Same on the inside
Black heart
Adhesive
Interstate. (Acoustic)                 Radio song
Black again( acoustic)
Seven caged tigers( acoustic)
Church on Tuesday
Wonderful ( electric version)
Still remains
Big empty                                    radio song
All in the suit
Silver gun
Revolution
Black dog Zeppelin cover
Plush current version                        radio song

Encore
Coma
Trippin.                                         radio song
Long way home

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
For reference, here's your setlist with all the songs they've played regularly since the reunion removed:
  • Dumb love
  • Hazy daze
  • Same on the inside
  • Wonderful ( electric version)
  • Revolution
  • Black dog Zeppelin cover
  • Long way home

That's 7 songs. That's less songs than the deep cuts in the set they are currently playing.

The simple truth is building a good setlist isn't about pulling random songs out of your ass. You need to have a enough hits to keep the casual fans interested and enough deep cuts to reward the die hards. The current setlist has about 11 hits and 11 deep cuts, interspersed evenly throughout the set. THAT is a good set.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:20:47 PM by Blue »

PigsinZen

• Hickory Dichotomy
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Superman with Silvergun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 10:18:43 PM »
Like I said before. Keep the five main nostalgic rock radio hits, plush interstate vasoline big empty trippin ok... Now the rest would be songs that they rarely play It's not rocket science
Let me help:

Dumb love
Vasoline.                                    radio song
Pruno
Meat plow
Hazy daze
Same on the inside
Black heart
Adhesive
Interstate. (Acoustic)                 Radio song
Black again( acoustic)
Seven caged tigers( acoustic)
Church on Tuesday
Wonderful ( electric version)
Still remains
Big empty                                    radio song
All in the suit
Silver gun
Revolution
Black dog Zeppelin cover
Plush current version                        radio song

Encore
Coma
Trippin.                                         radio song
Long way home

I agree but I would bump up the radio hits just a tad more. Add Sex Type Thing and D&B, and then make the rest of the set everchanging spanning the 7 records. Something Pearl Jam and Soundgarden have been doing for years. By delivering a different setlist every night, you are making fans more intrigued to follow your band.

However, they aren't doing a bad job right now. Deep cuts are being played. It is criminal that Self Titled has been ignored and that they aren't playing more off High Rise or new tracks from the upcoming album. I like Chester and he has a good voice but his stage moves are too much like Scott's. I wish he would tone down the impression and be himself.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 10:19:47 PM »
Blue, The concert goer u r describing is a lifeless shallow shell of a human being. if you go to a concert and are not pumped up by the power of guitars and drums Alone u shouldn't be there. I don't care who I watch at concerts the atmosphere is always electric and even the songs I've never heard are good I love concerts.
So what exactly are you saying blue, for them not to change SETLIST or change it. ...yes I understand the "average fan" concept but look ,all of STP songs are good even the bad ones are good. they would all translate nicely in a concert. With beer and a good time in hand. And I'm not just saying this because I'm a fan their songs really are good acoustically or electric that's what's so special about them. That is sad if the band is held to a certain set of songs their entire career especially STP. Doesn't have to be that way.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 10:46:05 PM by artsyblacksmith »