September 23, 2024, 01:25:51 PM

Author Topic: If Scott released a second covers album what songs would you like on it?  (Read 3258 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm really bored but got to thinking earlier it would be cool if Scott put out another cover's album at some point. We know he enjoys doing them and he has a varied taste in music but let's imagine he put it to the fans to choose, which songs would you pick? Mine would be -

1. Rolling Stones - 'Angie' (He covered this live with VR and it was great, I'd love a studio version)
2. David Bowie - 'Moonage Daydream' (There's gotta be a Bowie one on there and I'd like to hear Scott's take on this one)
3. Nirvana - 'Dumb'/'All Apologies' (I'd like to hear Scottie cover one of the slower Nirvana tracks)
4. Oasis - 'Wonderwall' (Perhaps an obvious choice for an Oasis song but I think it'd sound good)
5. The Beatles - 'A Day in the life'/'Fool on the hill' (Either would be great)
6. The Killers - 'Mr Brightside' (Yep! I can actually hear Scott singing this one!)
7. Moody Blues - 'Nights in white Satin' (Not sure i can picture Scott singing it but still)
8. John Lennon - 'Jealous Guy'
9. Elton John - 'Saturday Night's Alright' (punk it up a bit and it'd be cool!)
10. Stone Roses - 'Made of Stone'/'She Bangs The Drums' (He's covered them before, I'd choose one of these 2)
11. Iggy Pop - 'Lust For Life' (Scott's voice would definitely suit this song)
12. The Connells - '74/75' (A classic)
13. Alice In Chains - 'Man In The Box' (We know Scott does a great Layne vocal)
14. Smashing Pumpkins - 'Tonight, Tonight' (One of my friends once said 'This would be a really great song if someone else was singing it'! Whilst I'm a fan of SP and Corgan myself a stripped back acoustic cover would be nice)

So what do you think? Would you buy it?? :-)
I know I'll think of more but that's off the top of my head. I'm expecting posts like 'Scott can't sing anymore' etc but please save them for another thread or imagine its Scott from 15 years ago singing the covers!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 09:57:11 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

TinyPenisMusic

• Co-Pilot
  • WTF?
    • View Profile
Something by Sheryl Crow, but I'm not sure which song exactly. Maybe 'My Cherie Amour' by Stevie Wonder too.
"Hey buddy are you lubed up?" -Scott Weiland

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Something by Sheryl Crow, but I'm not sure which song exactly. Maybe 'My Cherie Amour' by Stevie Wonder too.

'Everyday is a winding road' or 'A change would do you good' perhaps?? On a side note didnt he originally write 'Days of the week' with Sheryl Crow in mind?? I'm sure I read that somewhere.

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
I would like to hear Scott rap a Limp Bizkit song...

Since Scott is so raspy these days i'm sure a "Rape Me" cover would be pretty oustanding.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:39:01 AM by JBattista »

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

'Everyday is a winding road' or 'A change would do you good' perhaps?? On a side note didnt he originally write 'Days of the week' with Sheryl Crow in mind?? I'm sure I read that somewhere.
No dean wrote it for her but when Scott heard it he said wait give me a shot at that

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Since Scott is so raspy these days i'm sure a "Rape Me" cover would be pretty oustanding.

Yeah I was going to put a Guns N' Roses song on the list but Scott's rasp hasn't reached Axl Rose's level yet, perhaps in a few more years...

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I would like Scott to avoid doing any covers from now on.
Remember the time when he was known of doing just a few covers in his entire career? Each one was special, though. I liked them better than originals, because he performed them so perfectly and added his own twist.
Now it's definitely quantity over quality.
I do applaud you for The Connells' song. I love it.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
This is easy....   I've always wanted to see Scott sing "Worst That Could Happen" by Johnny Maestro and Brooklyn Bridge.  Also, I'd love to see him cover the song "Wax Ecstatic" by Sponge in a live performance setting. Maybe "Mountain Song" by Jane's Addiction too.

BTW.... @CagedTiger, great call on "Angie"  His Mary version is definitely great.  Can we also add "Gimme Shelter" to that list?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 06:59:49 AM by NickLorenza »

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Led Zeppelin's version of nobody's fault but mine or communication breakdown by Zeppelin. Roadhouse blues by the doors or a studio version of five to one. He killed it live back in the day with the doors. And randomly i would like to hear I just wanna make love to you by foghat

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

No dean wrote it for her but when Scott heard it he said wait give me a shot at that

Ahh right, thanks for the info. It's a catchy riff, I could see it working for a Sheryl Crow song. I'm glad STP kept it, whilst far from being my favourite from SLDD its still a nice catchy little song.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Remember the time when he was known of doing just a few covers in his entire career? Each one was special, though. I liked them better than originals, because he performed them so perfectly and added his own twist.
I couldnt agree more.  He's pretty cover-happy as of late.  Lets stick original music for awhile. 

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

I agree here.
Though, while on topic, I always thought "Love My Way" by The Psychedelic Furs would be cool. (https://youtu.be/Zb4JY2mr-_Y)
Something about it is very solo-Scott-esque.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
This is easy....   I've always wanted to see Scott sing "Worst That Could Happen" by Johnny Maestro and Brooklyn Bridge.  Also, I'd love to see him cover the song "Wax Ecstatic" by Sponge in a live performance setting. Maybe "Mountain Song" by Jane's Addiction too.

BTW.... @CagedTiger, great call on "Angie"  His Mary version is definitely great.  Can we also add "Gimme Shelter" to that list?

'Mountain Song', great choice! I'm not sure why I didn't think of that one since I'm a big Jane's fan and it's one he's covered live before. I'll have to add it to the list :-)
'Gimme Shelter' would be great too, it's one of my favorites by the Stone's, I nearly put it myself but went with 'Angie' simply because he's covered it before and as you said it was such a great performance.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

'Out of Time'?! Pfffft more like waste of time! With so many classic songs to choose from why bother covering such mediocrity? ;-)
Before the CheSTP squad jump in on the defense I felt the same way about much of S/T too.