October 02, 2024, 03:24:17 AM

Author Topic: SCOTT WEILAND To RICHARD PATRICK: 'I Haven't Had A Needle In My Arm In 13 Years  (Read 8715 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
“For years I’ve known goddamn well that I’m a drunk, but who wants to admit that? After kicking the strong stuff, why couldn’t I have a little drink now and then? What harm was there in a small indulgence? The answer was serious harm – potentially fatal harm. For me, putting a drink in my mouth is something like putting a lead blanket over my heart. There’s been so much pain in the past few years that I’m afraid to feel, or commit. I pray that this will end. I don’t want to be alone anymore. I want to be able to love again. The dream of every drunk – to be able to manage their drinking – is one that has died hard for me. My prayer is that, once and for all, that dream is dead. So I’m back to counting days. It’s nearly been two months since I’ve had a drink. By the time you read this book, my hope is that it will be six months.”

-Scott Weiland, Early 2011
Ask him about it during your interview

“For years I’ve known goddamn well that I’m a drunk, but who wants to admit that? After kicking the strong stuff, why couldn’t I have a little drink now and then? What harm was there in a small indulgence? The answer was serious harm – potentially fatal harm. For me, putting a drink in my mouth is something like putting a lead blanket over my heart. There’s been so much pain in the past few years that I’m afraid to feel, or commit. I pray that this will end. I don’t want to be alone anymore. I want to be able to love again. The dream of every drunk – to be able to manage their drinking – is one that has died hard for me. My prayer is that, once and for all, that dream is dead. So I’m back to counting days. It’s nearly been two months since I’ve had a drink. By the time you read this book, my hope is that it will be six months.”

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

Ask him about it during your interview

Yeah I saw that the first time

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Richard Patrick has responded with the following short statement on Filter's Facebook page -

"Scott,

We all love you. I'm glad you got it together. We were all just really worried about you. Stay positive and best wishes! -RP"
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I say good on Scott. He took the high road here and instead of trashing Richard back (Who himself was an alcohloic for many years) he remained calm and just set the record straight.
I mean Scott must have been angry when he read that article because lets face it, its really none of Richard's fucking business and isn't something he should've ever been speaking on in the first place!
I can only think it was one of those talk before you engage your brain situations on Richard's part and he stupidly did it with journalists... I mean he really was making his assumptions sound like fact in that original article (Where's that thread gone by the way?!).
Obviously Richard now realises he's fucked up and is back peddeling but notice he doesn't even say sorry! Man, you just told a fellow recovering addict who hasn't used heroin for 13 years he's gonna end up dead with a needle hanging out of his arm and his kids are going to be traumàtised and all this other hurtful shit based on pure speculation, the least you owe the man is an apology.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I say good on Scott. He took the high road here and instead of trashing Richard back (Who himself was an alcohloic for many years) he remained calm and just set the record straight.
I mean Scott must have been angry when he read that article because lets face it, its really none of Richard's fucking business and isn't something he should've ever been speaking on in the first place!
I can only think it was one of those talk before you engage your brain situations on Richard's part and he stupidly did it with journalists... I mean he really was making his assumptions sound like fact in that original article (Where's that thread gone by the way?!).
Obviously Richard now realises he's fucked up and is back peddeling but notice he doesn't even say sorry! Man, you just told a fellow recovering addict who hasn't used heroin for 13 years he's gonna end up dead with a needle hanging out of his arm and his kids are going to be traumàtised and all this other hurtful shit based on pure speculation, the least you owe the man is an apology.
That thread disappeared... I had mentioned there that I saw filter last month and at one point Richard says to the crowd "who else loves drugs?" I was one of the few people to cheer so he said something like "I can't be the only one" then more people cheered. To me that's kinda promoting drug use. It's like pick a side

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
That thread disappeared... I had mentioned there that I saw filter last month and at one point Richard says to the crowd "who else loves drugs?" I was one of the few people to cheer so he said something like "I can't be the only one" then more people cheered. To me that's kinda promoting drug use. It's like pick a side

Yeah I'm a fan of Filter's music myself but I think Rich is way out of line with these latest comments and I can see why Scott sees it as an 'attack'. It doesn't surprise me what he said about drugs at that concert you went to either, as I said in the other (missing) thread the man seems to have a case of verbal dioreah from what I've seen in interviews and the stuff he says between songs when they're playing live. He comes across as a people pleaser saying what he THINKS people want to hear and a hypocrite.

Ajax11

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Scott should have started off his response with:

"Hey man, nice shot..."

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Richard is now saying he made these comments 2 years ago... He's responding to posts about all this on the Filter Facrbook page. My favorites are below -

Facebook user -
Between Weiland who lives his life the way he wants and leaves everyone else the fuck alone, and Patrick, who thinks he needs to tell everyone else how they should live theirs, i think Ill support Scott. Go sing for Obama and Hillary Dick.

Richard Patrick -
Hey bro.. If we don't say something he might not get it. Scott says he has gotten it over with so let's just be happy he found it.. By the way Scott's reply to this comment I made was 2 years later so I find it a little strange that he didn't just say something back then.. Just love the guy.. Want the best.. But we need to bring it to him and speak up as a community and let him know we love him and to stay alive..

Facebook user-
Just shut the fuck up Richard!
Just for being a dick I'm no longer going to be a fan of your band!
I'm putting on my filter CDs in the garbage.
You're just being a hater

Richard Patrick -
Wooooooo.. Hang on! Scott fell off the stage as you recall about 5 times.. He was late to stage call about a dozen times.. He was wasted during shows.. And he's fans were disappointed.. They canceled a Florida show.. they called it when the crowd waited for 2 hours and he never showed up.. In New Jersey at a show we played at.. He made the audience wait for 2 hours.. All those people waiting.. We watched Dean and Robert lose their minds they just wanted to play their big sold out show.. That's why we said something.. We've known him for 25 years.. Think about it.. You're in the dark on a lot of this stuff.. Hate us if you want but we're trying to be apart of the solution .. When we did the interview Scotts referring to two years ago he had just been fired.. I have always told it like it is.. If you can't respect that then we can't help you. Late!

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Why is he saying "we" so much.  I didn't see any approval of Richard as STP's spokesperson.
Im sure a lot of what he says is true.  He's a little closer to it than us, but he's also very influenced by one side of the story (like Scott pointed out).

Does anyone remember this story coming out 2 years ago?  First I know was just a few weeks back, which would make sense why Scott is just responding now. 
But if true, why would the interviewer sit on these comments for 2 years, instead of releasing when the STP split was so fresh?
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Sorry to drag up an old thread but has Richard Patrick made any comments since Scott's death?

FuzzyDunlop

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Sorry to drag up an old thread but has Richard Patrick made any comments since Scott's death?

https://www.facebook.com/Filter/posts/10153680912031352

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

https://www.facebook.com/Filter/posts/10153680912031352

Thanks. That was a nice statement from Richard and I'm glad he didn't take the whole 'I told you so' route.
His prediction, apart from the heroin, did after all unfortunately end up coming true only months later :(

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
People had been calling Scott's death for 25 years.  Someone was going to be right at some point.  This douche wins the prize.  I recall his rant being more about the Deleos and they're failure to succeed w/ Chester.  The Deleos failure with Chester was about the music, IMO.  Just like AOA.  It was a solid contribution but nothing the fan base was interested in listening to for more than a couple of spins.