September 22, 2024, 09:33:15 PM

Author Topic: Superman & alligators...the love of Blaster!  (Read 1683 times)

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Superman & alligators...the love of Blaster!
« on: March 29, 2015, 05:48:58 AM »
I don't need to hear this on a proper release to know that it is Weiland's best (excluding STP releases!!). I can't wait to hear it on CD though. I don't know that I can choose a favorite. Each song is so damn good. He has honored his heroes by injecting a bit of them throughout the entire album. I hear Beatles, Aerosmith, Bowie, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys...and many others. Even though you can hear the influence, he has such a perfect recipe that it has the stamp of Scott firmly in place. What I REALLY love about this album is that it has such a strong 80s vibe to it as well. Growing up in the 80s, I can spot so much of the sound of that decade sprinkled across some of the songs. As I am typing this out, the song "Youth Quake" is pouring out of my speakers and is flooding the room and ears with such a BADASS anthem. I just wanna pump my fist and get my 'rock neck' goin'! Now "Beach Pop" has me smiling so much it hurts. What a WONDERFUL album!!

Thanks, Scott!!!
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Superman & alligators...the love of Blaster!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 06:28:18 AM »
I agree, it's a killer album. It will be the soundtrack to my summer! Can't wait for my vinyl copy and lossless digital files to be in my possession. I need to blast Blaster in my car, but that Pandora stream can only get so loud before the sound gets distorted.

Scott and his band did good, real good.
Bleeda blooda

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Superman & alligators...the love of Blaster!
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 10:41:26 PM »
I don't need to hear this on a proper release to know that it is Weiland's best (excluding STP releases!!). I can't wait to hear it on CD though. I don't know that I can choose a favorite. Each song is so damn good. He has honored his heroes by injecting a bit of them throughout the entire album. I hear Beatles, Aerosmith, Bowie, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys...and many others. Even though you can hear the influence, he has such a perfect recipe that it has the stamp of Scott firmly in place. What I REALLY love about this album is that it has such a strong 80s vibe to it as well. Growing up in the 80s, I can spot so much of the sound of that decade sprinkled across some of the songs. As I am typing this out, the song "Youth Quake" is pouring out of my speakers and is flooding the room and ears with such a BADASS anthem. I just wanna pump my fist and get my 'rock neck' goin'! Now "Beach Pop" has me smiling so much it hurts. What a WONDERFUL album!!

Thanks, Scott!!!

I agree. Had it on in the car to and from the gym today and it fairly rips out of the speakers.

I'm a little biased too as there are so many things that remind me of my youth - Gun Club, The Cramps, The Cure, NME cassette mixtapes etc etc.

Definitely 8.5 or 9 out of 10 for me. A small deduction for the cover song, some minor production quibbles and the drums. Fantastic otherwise.