September 30, 2024, 05:20:16 AM

Author Topic: Blaster CD  (Read 30531 times)

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Blaster CD
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2015, 12:57:12 AM »
I picked up the cd yesterday and gave it a listen.  I'm loving Amethyst and Blue Eyes.  Circles is even growing on me a bit.

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2015, 01:42:10 AM »
Does anyone wanna do me a solid and upload Parachute to Youtube for a comprehensive tribute to Jeremy I'm writing (which should be up at midnight)? I'd do it, but in the event it gets taken down for copyright I'd get banned from Youtube because I've already had like four violations. I never understood why artists wouldn't like having some odd songs on Youtube anyway where they can actually get exposure.

Like, Amethyst sounds great studio and live, but I don't think the live version of Parachute can really do the studio version justice for just how layered and unique it is.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:46:50 AM by sonofthecastle »

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2015, 02:45:08 AM »
I really dig the whole album. Hotel Rio is the only one that hasn't fully grown on me yet.
That song grabbed me instantly. Heard it, checked the song name on my iPod after about 15 seconds and was like "oh THIS is Hotel Rio, no wonder everybody has been raving about it."

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2015, 03:03:19 AM »
I bought the CD even though I was really waiting for the download from pledgemusic. The CD was of course a huge improvement over the Pandora stream, but holy shit these FLAC files sound amazing. Really impressed by this album. Still feeling really bad for Jeremy, but hopefully a lot of people get to hear what he did.
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2015, 03:31:34 AM »
Does anyone wanna do me a solid and upload Parachute to Youtube for a comprehensive tribute to Jeremy I'm writing (which should be up at midnight)? I'd do it, but in the event it gets taken down for copyright I'd get banned from Youtube because I've already had like four violations. I never understood why artists wouldn't like having some odd songs on Youtube anyway where they can actually get exposure.

Like, Amethyst sounds great studio and live, but I don't think the live version of Parachute can really do the studio version justice for just how layered and unique it is.

The studio version of 'Parachute' is on Youtube. In fact the whole 'Blaster' album is and has been uploaded by the same user - '#ScottWeiland'. It looks kinda official too?
https://youtu.be/IYZlK06PiSM
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:34:08 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2015, 03:58:08 AM »

The studio version of 'Parachute' is on Youtube. In fact the whole 'Blaster' album is and has been uploaded by the same user - '#ScottWeiland'. It looks kinda official too?

when i click the link it says not available.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2015, 04:45:13 AM »

when i click the link it says not available.

Hmm very odd, it works for me. I'm not sure if me being in the UK makes a difference?? I'm on my mobile right now but this is the link to the guys channel and then if you click 'playlist' the Blaster album is there or try searching for user #ScottWeiland
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC-PW330iCzjAi1a2IUNv99g

Or link to playlist -

http://youtu.be/IYZlK06PiSM?list=PLqBrfUf66mOhPFB8TYn4No9E0ysPnF0LP

Sorry if this still doesn't work :-(
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 04:52:00 AM by CagedTiger »

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2015, 08:40:54 AM »
I've seen those videos with the # before the username, and they're always "generated by YouTube", I think it's their way of getting themselves and artists the advertising revenue instead of some random who decided to upload the track.

As for that Parachute video, it worked the first time I clicked on it, but not after that. Oh well.

Hopefully someone will upload it for you, as much as I think your site is a pile of shit, Jeremy deserves lots of tributes and to have his beautiful work heard by the masses.
Bleeda blooda

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2015, 11:00:29 AM »
I'm scratching my head over why people are saying the FLAC sounds better than the CD. You'd think they made the FLAC files from the CD, but if it is better that would suggest they must have come from a different source.

Weird.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2015, 05:25:52 PM »
I'm scratching my head over why people are saying the FLAC sounds better than the CD. You'd think they made the FLAC files from the CD, but if it is better that would suggest they must have come from a different source.

Weird.
I'm wondering if people ripped the CD at a low quality or something. If you don't change settings, iTunes imports CDs at 256 which is barely listenable

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
Every time parachute comes on I think it's arms around your love by Chris Cornell just for the first two drum hits

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:25 PM »

Weird.
I'm wondering if people ripped the CD at a low quality or something. If you don't change settings, iTunes imports CDs at 256 which is barely listenable

I rip all my CD's at that setting (ITunes Plus) and they sound fine on my iPod, that is also the same quality of the albums you can buy from iTunes.
I like to fit as much onto my IPod as possible so putting everything on in FLAC, WAV or Apple Lossless isn't realistic due to file size.
This album however I did rip in Apple Lossless format due to the production being a bit muddled in parts, I didn't want to lose ANY quality, its worth the 325 mb iPod space for this particular album :-)

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 02, 2015, 10:12:06 PM »

I don't know whether or not they were ripped from a CD but, having done some digging, I've found out why they can still sound better. Here's a specific description (from Linn forums):

"On a CD, the player has to correct "real time" any errors from little scratches etc, also the moving parts (drive) may cause distortions.

if you rip to FLAC, the ripper (assuming you use a good one) will take all the time it needs to read and re-read - and re-read again - "difficult" areas on a CD, until it is sure it is bit-perfect. Only then it moves on. Therefore, the streamer can concentrate on playing back this perfect file and doesnt need to error-correct anything. On top, there are no moving parts in a streamer that may have an adverse impact on the sound."

This would explain why the flac files sound just that little bit better than the CD - at least to me they do. And I mean the actual CD, not a rip. Having said that, I also used a different player (VLC) so that may have enhanced the sound also over WMP.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »
What is the total file size of the album in FLAC? Also is this  format that is compatible with an Ipod??
If so I might re-rip it again in this format if it really is THE BEST possible sound quality to have it in. I'm not an audiophile as such and wonder how much of this is actually in our imagination as I've listened to a 192kbps mp3 and a wav file of the same song in the past and not been able to tell any difference! I guess it all depends on your sound system and things though.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2015, 10:37:52 PM »
What is the total file size of the album in FLAC? Also is this  format that is compatible with an Ipod??
If so I might re-rip it again in this format if it really is THE BEST possible sound quality to have it in. I'm not an audiophile as such and wonder how much of this is actually in our imagination as I've listened to a 192kbps mp3 and a wav file of the same song in the past and not been able to tell any difference! I guess it all depends on your sound system and things though.

326MB. I know nothing about iPods. I'm not an audiophile either but 192 is poor quality. You might not notice the difference on a boot but you sure would with anything studio. Having said that, wav appears to be unpopular with techie folks, they much prefer flac from what I've been reading.

You can only compare like with like. I've played the CD and the flac files on the same laptop through the same speakers. The flac is just that bit sharper and better. Needless to say, I'm going to get a good flac ripper and try all the STP albums to see if I notice anything there too!