September 30, 2024, 05:38:54 AM

Author Topic: Blaster CD  (Read 30542 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Blaster CD
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2015, 03:36:51 PM »
Too early to list it amongst all his other work but its a very solid outing.  Have only been streaming it so far but looking forward to picking it up and spinning it in my car, as others said this should sound better blasting it with the windows down on a warm day ;)
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »
It's not too early to say it's about 100x better than Happy in Galoshes though.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2015, 04:39:36 PM »
It's all subjective. Personally, as of now, I prefer both HIG and 12BB to this one. It's still early, but a few thoughts I have thus far. I'll start with the negative:

- The sound quality is certainly better than what I heard on the Pandora stream, but I still don't love the way this record was mixed. The production sounds noticeably compressed on a number of songs. Amethyst would probably be my favorite track if not for this

- Much like on tour, Scott is a bit inconsistent on this record. You never know when he's gonna show up. The vocals themselves sound fine, but you can tell he's not really present the whole time. This is a shame because tracks like Modzilla and Blue Eyes have such killer performances from the band, but Scott kinda half-asses his way through it.

- I'm not sure why 20th Century Boy is here. Parachute would have flowed perfectly into Circles. I can't think of a reason for this song to be on the record other than to boost the number of tracks. I actually prefer the Jean Genie cover featured as a bonus, and think it would have been a better fit. Scott's fingerprints are all over this one, rather than the note for note 20th Century Boy cover

Now for the positive:

- Way She Moves, Parachute, White Lightning, Hotel Rio, and Circles are my favorite tracks thus far. I greatly prefer the live version of Circles to the studio, but it still shines on the album. I think people underrate White Lightning because it was released so long ago, and the new songs we got hit with when the album dropped have sort of pushed it to the backburner, but I think it's the most "all in" track they recorded, with both Scott and the band really bringing it.

- I'm surprised with how much I've been enjoying Beach Pop Rock. Hearing the live versions of it I thought it would be one of my least favorite songs on the album. The piano adds a really nice element. He kinda loses me in the bridge a bit, but color me pleasantly surprised.

- Jeremy really shines on this album...such a shame. His work on Modzilla is so kick-ass. I mean, anytime you get compared to Jack White right? I love his understated bluesy riffs on Way She Moves and the little run he goes on after the first Hotel Rio chorus. His work on Parachute, throughout the song, is fantastic.

Overall, after two days of spinning, I'd give the album about a 6.5/10. It's good listening, but I guess I personally prefer the artsy solo Scott to the balls to the wall solo Scott. I realize that's not even a fair comparison since he considers this his band now, but I can't help but see it this way. It's still a good record, but I'm not yet making any wild declarations about where this stands in the pantheon of Scott and STP history.

I'll probably get crucified on here for the negatives, but as for the positives, it's just one man's opinion.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2015, 05:44:33 PM »
I think its amazing how divisive Youthquake seems to be. Personally, I love it and wouldn't leave it off your tracklisting
I Like all of the songs and that's my favorite that I excluded, I was just aiming for 11 songs so it would be the same as no.4
Black Heart has no business being on any STP record but then neither does BTL and lots of people like that one so what do I know?

I agree completely with this, in fact I would go as far as to say 'Black Heart' is the worst song to be released under the STP name. The lyrics are absolutely awful and cheesy and sound like they belong in a bad Metal song rather than STP. The other songs on 'High Rise' are okay but they're hardly lighting up the world or adding anything to STP's legacy in my opinion.
On a more positive not, I received my 'Blaster' CD today, it was £9.99 including free delivery on base.com so if anyone else in the UK is looking to get it at a good price on CD I would recommend looking there.
As other's have mentioned the booklet is impressive including all the lyrics and some cool pictures and the CD itself appears to have been produced in Germany. The tracklisting error is annoying listing 'Jean Genie' as a bonus when it isn't present, I'll purchase this separately at some point off Itunes though.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2015, 05:50:58 PM »
I greatly prefer the live version of Circles to the studio, but it still shines on the album.

I made a post saying the same thing, I still enjoy the studio version but it feels so rushed and it's over before you know it. The live version was slightly slower and I feel it was paced better. I also enjoyed Scott's ad libs at the end on the live version, the 'hooo hooo's', I had hoped he'd include them on the studio version :-(
Overall I'm loving the album though and I don't feel the need to skip a single track :-)
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2015, 06:41:50 PM »
If anything, this album shows how beneficial it is to have an outside producer.  Look at Self-Titled and High Rise, both of which the DeLeo Bros produced, as well as Happy In Galoshes, produced by Weiland and Doug Grean.  Those 3 releases have filler on them and don't sound too much like a unified whole.  I think these guys need someone from outside their inner circle to tell them what isn't working.  I bet a big reason why Blaster is so good is because Weiland got an outside producer for it.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »
I've listened to it enough that I'm now comfortable ranking it within all of the STP-related releases.  From best to worst:

1. Shangri-La Dee Da
2. Purple
3. Tiny Music
4. No. 4
5. Core
6. Blaster
7. Self-Titled
8. 12 Bar Blues
9. Army Of Anyone
10. Contraband
11. Happy In Galoshes
12. Libertad
13. High Rise
14. Talk Show
15. The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Definitely ready to rank it as well. I put it just below the first 5 STP albums and just above AoA & 12BB. Libertad best of the rest.

As you also pointed out, the quality and styles of the producers on all of the above are key.

Btw, what about that bass line on Amethyst? It's really cool.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2015, 07:25:56 PM »
^ Meant to add I don't 100% agree with everything Parker did but he provided flow and a sonic path as mentioned by Scott in the credits.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 07:27:32 PM by Stop That Pigeon »

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
Still working myself through the album.  I notice, though, on the songs when it starts to get a little repetitive it jumps to a new tempo, chorus, sound.  It's not uncommon for Scott w/ STP and some VR for the songs to get a little repetitive.  I'm enjoying it so far.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2015, 07:54:08 PM »
OK i'll give this ranking thing a go.

Tiny Music
Purple
No.4
12BB
Core
SLDD
Talk Show
Blaster
Libertad
Self Titled
High Rise
AoA
Contraband
Happy in Galoshes

To be fair though, they are all great albums that I have listened to extensively. Apart from Happy in Galoshes which is boring. I'd happily sit down and listen to any of the rest right now, if I weren't already listening to Blaster.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:43 PM »
That's the download available on PledgeMusic - grabbing the flac files now.

PigsinZen

• Hickory Dichotomy
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Superman with Silvergun
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2015, 08:18:35 PM »
I really dig the whole album. Hotel Rio is the only one that hasn't fully grown on me yet.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »
Oh man, the flac is BEAST!

I've read a few articles where they say most people can't distinguish between flac and CD.

Well, you can on this album. My front room is rocking so much I swear Andy Murray can hear it through the TV at the Miami Open.   ;D

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2015, 10:35:02 PM »
I'm really starting to enjoy Amethyst right now, and I can't help but think of "Zach's Song" from School of Rock at the beginning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7kExN8LFA

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »
Still working myself through the album.  I notice, though, on the songs when it starts to get a little repetitive it jumps to a new tempo, chorus, sound.  It's not uncommon for Scott w/ STP and some VR for the songs to get a little repetitive.  I'm enjoying it so far.

I noticed this as well, one of the strong points to the album

I'm really starting to enjoy Amethyst right now, and I can't help but think of "Zach's Song" from School of Rock at the beginning!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7kExN8LFA

Lol, the start is very similiar
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"