September 29, 2024, 11:34:35 PM

Author Topic: Blaster CD  (Read 30473 times)

BillMurraylovesSTP

• Im streets ahead
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Blaster CD
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2015, 12:01:46 AM »
Each to their own but I'm not getting the "samey-ness" criticism at all. Plenty enough variety of tone, structure and content for me. The lyrics also have that pleasing randomness that Scott does so well.

Agreed

Blaster Rocks

follow me on
@Jrlthinks on instagram
@lakethinks twitter

NakedSundayCrackerman

• Sky Captain
  • Official Batman of Below Empty forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2015, 03:32:28 AM »
I bought the record.

Put it in the player, the first song, Modzilla, sounded awesome. I thought it was off to a good start. But man, the more I listened to it, I started thinking...these songs all sound the same.

Well, maybe not the same. But Scott's melodies all sound essentially the same. He's got that nasally smoker voice from track to track, goes back to the same scales/song structures from song to song. I hate to say it, but I just found the record bland.

Not impressed, maybe the CheSTP record will do better. :/

The album is growing on me for sure, but it didn't grab me as past STP or VR albums have either. Give it a few listens and you'll pull out a few catchy singles, but not much "soundtrack to your life rock".

Yeah, like I said, I liked Modzilla and from what I can remember I liked one or two of the other songs, but it was ultimately nothing special to me.
I just thought together we'd stand, but now I'm looking for your hand...where are you? 'Cause all four walls are comin' down tonight...

August 19th 2012

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2015, 07:37:08 AM »
Okay, so I have taken some time to digest Blaster. I've been part of the online STP community a long time, and those that remember me from way back will know that I am as big a fan of Scott as anyone else. I think 12 Bar Blues is a wonderful, wonderful record. Happy in Galoshes is flawed, though I think if Breathe and Happy had been on the record and it had been a single disc, the worst part about it would be the production.

In thinking about Scott's catalog of work, it's come to this. Scott's quality of work depends upon his collaborators, his level of interest, and whether or not he is being pushed to be better. So, take the first five STP records, his performances and writing is great. Self-titled? Decent, but he wasn't being pushed, even if his level of interest was high. Libertad, to me, was the last time his level of interest was high, he was collaborating with quality musicians, and he was being pushed (by Brendan O'Brien).

I'd hoped Blaster would be that next record. For me, it isn't. That doesn't mean by any means that I don't like it. I just don't think it comes close to what he can do if all three factors are working for him (interest level, quality of musicians, pushed by a producer).

There are things I can nitpick, like the unnecessary wah on the bass in Modzilla, which takes away from the power of the most pure rock riff on the album, or the obvious pitch correction on Circles. But I can overlook those things for the most part.

What really harms Blaster is how "blah" much of the music is and how close some songs come to being interesting that just lose me. That's not a knock on the band. They’re a good band. And Blaster is good. But Scott hasn't put out much "blah" music, and that's the problem.

White Lightning is a good example of Scott taking what is essentially a by-the-numbers blues song that we have all heard before and making it interesting. Scott's talent shines through. Way She Moves sounds like it could have come off of No. 4. Still, this would be an album track on No. 4. Here, it's a lead single.

Amethyst has the most potential here, but even that goes in directions I don’t really understand. The arrangement seems baffling. The pretty 16th note guitar part has a great Weiland melody over it. This should be a recurring verse, but it isn’t really. Next, it opens up into the “Look away / We got a white light blinder,” on its way to being a nice stadium anthem. Then it sort of goes into a cheesy V-IV-I turnaround for what seems like the chorus, but that doesn’t bother me too much. It’s that the song goes into yet another part (“I can see why no one finds you waiting”) when it should go back to a second verse (what we eventually get at the 2:30 mark). Instead, it sort of goes back to that part on the guitar, with changes, but it’s in double time with a different melody. I just don’t get it.

Circles is actually pretty delightful once you get past the vocal manipulation, as is Blue Eyes. Beach Pop is a bit silly, but man does it get stuck in your head. Parachute is mostly fun in a classic rock sort of way, but then it goes into that “monkey’s alligator” part for seemingly no reason. Really takes me out of the song.

There are a couple moments on here that have real potential. But for the most part, I’d say this is just an average album for Scott. I hate to say it. I like a lot of it, but there’s nothing that blows me away and too many songs that are close to being really good and just miss the mark, often times inexplicably.

Anyway, just my two cents.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »
+1 on the Parachute comment. Seems like a lot of fans on this board find his word soup lyrics whimsical, I just find them lazy. It's particularly frustrating because he's written such deep, profound stuff in the past, it's easy to tell when he's phoning it in.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2015, 08:33:19 PM »
In thinking about Scott's catalog of work, it's come to this. Scott's quality of work depends upon his collaborators, his level of interest, and whether or not he is being pushed to be better. So, take the first five STP records, his performances and writing is great. Self-titled? Decent, but he wasn't being pushed, even if his level of interest was high. Libertad, to me, was the last time his level of interest was high, he was collaborating with quality musicians, and he was being pushed (by Brendan O'Brien).

I can only agree with all of that. For me, Libertad contains some of Scott's best work and it goes up in my estimation every year. I've bought a Japan copy just to have Gas and a Dollar Laugh on there because it's so good imo.

Parachute is mostly fun in a classic rock sort of way, but then it goes into that “monkey’s alligator” part for seemingly no reason. Really takes me out of the song.

+1 on the Parachute comment. Seems like a lot of fans on this board find his word soup lyrics whimsical, I just find them lazy. It's particularly frustrating because he's written such deep, profound stuff in the past, it's easy to tell when he's phoning it in.

This is where we start to differ. Parachute has a number of lyrical references to Jimmy Was A Stimulator (one of my favourite SW songs) and the dog/monkey/alligator thing alludes neatly to that whole 1998-99 period when he was at his best lyrically imo. Whether or not he's doing that on purpose, it feels kind of nostalgic for me and that's why this record means a lot to me despite some technical issues as outlined elsewhere.

The album is growing on me for sure, but it didn't grab me as past STP or VR albums have either. Give it a few listens and you'll pull out a few catchy singles, but not much "soundtrack to your life rock".

As I've hinted at above, it is very much soundtrack of your life rock for me. If I run through in my head the lyrics and vocal stylings on 12BB, No4, SLDD, Libertad and Blaster (plus a little of HIG), I finally start to feel like I truly get where Scott is really coming from.

Of course, that's a different place from where STP and Art of Anarchy want to be and I get that it frustrates everyone when he shows he can do totally professional but then doesn't back it up (I've been there too).

But Scott is not that guy. He's something else. Guess that makes me an enabler huh?!  ;)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2015, 10:46:26 PM »

I can only agree with all of that. For me, Libertad contains some of Scott's best work and it goes up in my estimation every year. I've bought a Japan copy just to have Gas and a Dollar Laugh on there because it's so good imo.

Parachute is mostly fun in a classic rock sort of way, but then it goes into that “monkey’s alligator” part for seemingly no reason. Really takes me out of the song.

This is where we start to differ. Parachute has a number of lyrical references to Jimmy Was A Stimulator (one of my favourite SW songs) and the dog/monkey/alligator thing alludes neatly to that whole 1998-99 period when he was at his best lyrically imo. Whether or not he's doing that on purpose, it feels kind of nostalgic for me and that's why this record means a lot to me despite some technical issues as outlined elsewhere.

As I've hinted at above, it is very much soundtrack of your life rock for me. If I run through in my head the lyrics and vocal stylings on 12BB, No4, SLDD, Libertad and Blaster (plus a little of HIG), I finally start to feel like I truly get where Scott is really coming from.

Of course, that's a different place from where STP and Art of Anarchy want to be and I get that it frustrates everyone when he shows he can do totally professional but then doesn't back it up (I've been there too).

But Scott is not that guy. He's something else. Guess that makes me an enabler huh?!  ;)

To be fair, I wasn't talking necessarily about Scott's lyrics in Parachute, but the out of nowhere pre-chorus that disrupts the flow of an otherwise decent classic rock song. The transition from the verses to the chorus is just awkward.

It's the same thing I talk about it in Amethyst. Some of the musical decisions and arrangements just don't sit well with me.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2015, 10:56:59 PM »
To be fair, I wasn't talking necessarily about Scott's lyrics in Parachute, but the out of nowhere pre-chorus that disrupts the flow of an otherwise decent classic rock song. The transition from the verses to the chorus is just awkward.

It's the same thing I talk about it in Amethyst. Some of the musical decisions and arrangements just don't sit well with me.

Not a problem, I have a lot of respect for your opinions. You know your stuff bro.

On this one, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I love those very transitions and switches. They work for me 100%.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2015, 11:13:36 PM »

Not a problem, I have a lot of respect for your opinions. You know your stuff bro.

On this one, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I love those very transitions and switches. They work for me 100%.

Thanks! That's what makes the world fun. If we all had the same opinions, discussions would be boring.

I am pretty opinionated, so I'm used to people saying, "Agree to disagree." In fact, I think HIG was a mess as a double album. I have a "single disc" version as a playlist on my iPod classic:

Big Black Monster
Missing Cleveland (MySpace single version)
Tangle With Your Mind
Blister On My Soul
Paralysis
I Know It's Too Late
Crash
Breathe
The Man I Didn't Know
Some Things Must Go This Way
Happy
Killing Me Sweetly
Beautiful Day

I think Doug had a good ear for song arrangements, just not a good ear for letting songs breathe. So I put Blaster in the same category as what I think is best version of HIG (above)--pretty good, better than most stuff, but not Weiland's best.

Again, just me! :)

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2015, 11:49:11 PM »

I love the pre chorus, it's the chorus that kills the flow for me

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »

I love the pre chorus, it's the chorus that kills the flow for me
Agreed, the chorus of Parachute is slow and deflates the song in my opinion.

On another subject, I've been listening to Blaster solely through Spotify for the last 3 weeks but I finally bought a copy of the CD yesterday and I have to say I'm really impressed with the packaging. Love all the pictures of the band scattered throughout (RIP Jeremy) and it was nice to finally read the lyrics. I also forgot James Iha was involved with the album and helped write Blue Eyes (which is probably my favorite track on the album)
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2015, 02:19:20 PM »

Thanks! That's what makes the world fun. If we all had the same opinions, discussions would be boring.

I am pretty opinionated, so I'm used to people saying, "Agree to disagree." In fact, I think HIG was a mess as a double album. I have a "single disc" version as a playlist on my iPod classic:

Big Black Monster
Missing Cleveland (MySpace single version)
Tangle With Your Mind
Blister On My Soul
Paralysis
I Know It's Too Late
Crash
Breathe
The Man I Didn't Know
Some Things Must Go This Way
Happy
Killing Me Sweetly
Beautiful Day

I think Doug had a good ear for song arrangements, just not a good ear for letting songs breathe. So I put Blaster in the same category as what I think is best version of HIG (above)--pretty good, better than most stuff, but not Weiland's best.

Again, just me! :)

This is not a bad arrangement, but c'mon man no chicken soup?!?!. I would sub out Blister on my Soul and Some Things Must Go This Way with Blind Confusion and Sometimes Chicken Soup, and I'd say you'd have a rock solid standard length album.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2015, 05:16:51 PM »
12BB is a fantastic piece of work, IMO. Great art record.

I was listening to HiG (deluxe) the other day. And there's a bunch of really good tunes on there. But I feel like being a double album hurts the record's perception. As with most double albums, the common criticism is that it could have been a really good single album. While I appreciate having EVERYTHING on there, I feel that with a couple song selection tweaks on the single disc version, HiG really would have been a solid (single) album.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2015, 10:40:39 PM »
Saw a billboard for blaster in Echo Park

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2015, 11:18:58 PM »
Saw a billboard for blaster in Echo Park
Actually 3 right on sunset boulevard

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2015, 01:06:32 AM »
Just came in to do something with my excitement since my pledge order has been finally shipped!!! :D

Now, all I have to do is praying, a little more of praying, and keep praying for the CD to go through Customs and its current ridiculous law and seamlessly enter to Argentina.
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"