September 25, 2024, 04:19:48 PM

Author Topic: Stone Temple Pilots vs Scott Weiland court case discussion topic  (Read 13781 times)

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Weiland interview - ultimateguitar.com
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2015, 05:48:25 PM »
Oh. Of course Scott should have pay off the songwriters so STP would be the property of the guy who writes and sings over existing songs  ::)
I can only imagine the horror of The Wildabouts under STP moniker. lol. No matter what you think about CheSTP, but Stone Wild Pilots would be the worst band ever.

I'm glad that STP is in the safe arms now.

Ha, obviously this whole thing has us fans split on either side of the debate... but I think we ALL know that after STP broke up, Scott would NEVER continue on as STP, name his band STP, or anything like that. He's separated himself and all of his side projects from STP. The only thing he ever did was promote the 20th anniversary of Core during his solo tour.

In all of Scott's endeavours outside of STP, he's changed his sound, style, and appearance for the music. He's far from the one clinging to the STP past here.  There would NEVER be a "Stone Wild Pilots", yet we still got a "CheSTP".... 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
Scott would NEVER continue on as STP, name his band STP, or anything like that
[...]
There would NEVER be a "Stone Wild Pilots", yet we still got a "CheSTP".... 
How do you know that? I would never say the band would ever hire some other singer just a few months before it happened.
Do you remember how Scott hated people chanting for STP songs at his solo gigs? There was a long, painful and well documented history of that. He was against it ever since 12 Bar Blues tour. And then, all of the sudden, "Hey, come see me and my band perfoming two the most overplayed STP albums ever! Don't worry, I'll play just one or two of my own solo songs. Who needs them?"

To be serious, a few years ago Tom Gleason told me that he is in the studio with Deleo's. What the fuck happened with that?
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2015, 07:46:09 PM »
Let's not pretend that Scott dropped the STP out of his solo marketing out of moral integrity. He literally marketed himself as "Scott Weiland of STP" right up until the lawsuit, and even continued the Purple to the Core tour just without the name. I think it's just a bit to much of a coincidence to actually expect Scott to have suddenly moved on from the band as soon as litigation started.

That said, I doubt Scott would have called the Wildabouts STP. I think he'd be Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, with a tiny little 'of STP' in parentheses by his name.

As far as royalties and access to back catalog, like Pingfah said that was never in the balance. As a songwriter/lyricist Scott will continue to get royalties regardless, and anyone can play STP songs in concert if they want. If Miley Cyrus wanted to play Sex Type Thing in concert, the only thing STP could do would be to ask her not to. Literally anyone can play STP songs in concert, they just can't use them in marketing.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2015, 05:41:47 AM »
Scott would NEVER continue on as STP, name his band STP, or anything like that
[...]
There would NEVER be a "Stone Wild Pilots", yet we still got a "CheSTP".... 
How do you know that? I would never say the band would ever hire some other singer just a few months before it happened.
Do you remember how Scott hated people chanting for STP songs at his solo gigs? There was a long, painful and well documented history of that. He was against it ever since 12 Bar Blues tour. And then, all of the sudden, "Hey, come see me and my band perfoming two the most overplayed STP albums ever! Don't worry, I'll play just one or two of my own solo songs. Who needs them?"

To be serious, a few years ago Tom Gleason told me that he is in the studio with Deleo's. What the fuck happened with that?

Ohhh believe me, I remember Scott hating the "STP" chants at his solo shows.  I hated them too!  I was at a show in NYC where Scott went off on the crowd saying "that the marquee outside doesn't say STP, it says Scott Weiland".  Personally, I can't stand the crowds at Scott's shows b/c all they do is get drunk, chant "STP", and want to hear STP songs despite it being a solo gig!  It always seemed so disrespectful the way these people acted at his shows.  And as a fan, I don't care if Scott played old songs, new songs, covers, or whatever... I'd be happy with whatever he chose (and I don't need to hear Plush again live). 

The only difference is that the whole 'Purple At The Core' tour wasn't some "all of a sudden" decision.  It was only done as a 20th anniversary tour since STP wasn't doing their own 20th anniversary tour.  That's all.  I'd agree with you if it was any other time, but it was a one-off tour to commemorate Core/Purple's 20th. Other than that one tour, nothing has changed.  Every Scott show I've been to has been his own, ranging from the 12BB shows, HIG tours, Christmas tour, book signing show, and his covers show (one of my favorites). 

No clue about Tom Gleason though.  The Deleos always seem to be "in the studio", regardless of projects. 

Let's not pretend that Scott dropped the STP out of his solo marketing out of moral integrity. He literally marketed himself as "Scott Weiland of STP" right up until the lawsuit, and even continued the Purple to the Core tour just without the name. I think it's just a bit to much of a coincidence to actually expect Scott to have suddenly moved on from the band as soon as litigation started.

That said, I doubt Scott would have called the Wildabouts STP. I think he'd be Scott Weiland and the Wildabouts, with a tiny little 'of STP' in parentheses by his name.

As far as royalties and access to back catalog, like Pingfah said that was never in the balance. As a songwriter/lyricist Scott will continue to get royalties regardless, and anyone can play STP songs in concert if they want. If Miley Cyrus wanted to play Sex Type Thing in concert, the only thing STP could do would be to ask her not to. Literally anyone can play STP songs in concert, they just can't use them in marketing.

You're right, he probably didn't change the marketing out of moral integrity. But like I mention in my other reply... Scott only really played up the "of STP" thing during this one tour; and that was just a one-off anniversary tour.  He never actively played up the STP thing or used STP to market his other tours, solo work, or VR stuff.  He's always distanced himself from that STP sound/style when not with them.

Although thinking about it, I'd almost be OK with Scott adding a "tiny little 'of STP' in parentheses by his name" because his work outside of STP is so different. It would be a way of showing off his versatility outside of his main band. Unlike Scott, the Deleos' work outside of STP often had that same STP feel/sound to it. Don't get me wrong, I still loved their sound, but based on the music you knew it was clearly them playing so they didn't need to add a "of STP" to anything. 

You had to mention Miley Cyrus!?!?  Ha, for some reason it made me think I saw her covering STP somewhere on YouTube, so I went looking (it was Nirvana); but found something much worse... a Miley/STP mashup... http://djlobsterdust.com/index.php/mashups/miley-cirus-vs-stone-temple-pilots/ 

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
The only difference is that the whole 'Purple At The Core' tour wasn't some "all of a sudden" decision.  It was only done as a 20th anniversary tour since STP wasn't doing their own 20th anniversary tour.  That's all.   
That would be totally ok, if STP wasn't planning to do a similar tour/shows. But they were going to do it, and Scott, ALL OF THE SUDDEN, turned around and stole the idea for his shitty solo band.
Scott is exactly the reason "STP wasn't doing their own 20th anniversary tour".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:26:13 AM by Tyrant »
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

Flyingmerpa

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2015, 02:38:45 PM »
The only difference is that the whole 'Purple At The Core' tour wasn't some "all of a sudden" decision.  It was only done as a 20th anniversary tour since STP wasn't doing their own 20th anniversary tour.  That's all.   
That would be totally ok, if STP wasn't planning to do a similar tour/shows. But they were going to do it, and Scott, ALL OF THE SUDDEN, turned around and stole the idea for his shitty solo band.

Sorry to digress but its "all of A sudden" (no 'the'). I couldn't let you go on through life saying it the other way. Carry on friend !  8)

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2015, 05:57:27 PM »
The only difference is that the whole 'Purple At The Core' tour wasn't some "all of a sudden" decision.  It was only done as a 20th anniversary tour since STP wasn't doing their own 20th anniversary tour.  That's all.  I'd agree with you if it was any other time, but it was a one-off tour to commemorate Core/Purple's 20th.

Except STP was going to do a 2013 20th Anniversary tour, and Scott preempted it with the Purple to the Core tour. If Scott wanted to keep STP and his solo identity separate, all he had to do was take a hiatus in late 2012 to get his voice back in shape as the band had planned.

Instead, he decided to tour all the material the DeLeos refused to play because they felt Scott couldn't sing it and proved them right, burning his bridges to STP in the process.

Although thinking about it, I'd almost be OK with Scott adding a "tiny little 'of STP' in parentheses by his name" because his work outside of STP is so different. It would be a way of showing off his versatility outside of his main band. Unlike Scott, the Deleos' work outside of STP often had that same STP feel/sound to it. Don't get me wrong, I still loved their sound, but based on the music you knew it was clearly them playing so they didn't need to add a "of STP" to anything. 

I wouldn't mind, either. And to be honest, I don't know if the DeLeos' would have minded if he just used STP material in his marketing. They let him keeps his ScottWeilandSTP Twitter handle and his Purple to the Core tour going for months after the firing. It was only when he tried to block their radio play that they took legal action.

You had to mention Miley Cyrus!?!?  Ha, for some reason it made me think I saw her covering STP somewhere on YouTube, so I went looking (it was Nirvana); but found something much worse... a Miley/STP mashup... http://djlobsterdust.com/index.php/mashups/miley-cirus-vs-stone-temple-pilots/ 

Ouch...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 06:01:32 PM by Blue »
Grab the hate and drown it out...

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 06:18:45 PM »

Ouch...
I can't believe people actually think it's a good mashup in the comments.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 08:55:10 PM »
The only difference is that the whole 'Purple At The Core' tour wasn't some "all of a sudden" decision.  It was only done as a 20th anniversary tour since STP wasn't doing their own 20th anniversary tour.  That's all.  I'd agree with you if it was any other time, but it was a one-off tour to commemorate Core/Purple's 20th.

Except STP was going to do a 2013 20th Anniversary tour, and Scott preempted it with the Purple to the Core tour. If Scott wanted to keep STP and his solo identity separate, all he had to do was take a hiatus in late 2012 to get his voice back in shape as the band had planned.

Instead, he decided to tour all the material the DeLeos refused to play because they felt Scott couldn't sing it and proved them right, burning his bridges to STP in the process.

I wouldn't mind, either. And to be honest, I don't know if the DeLeos' would have minded if he just used STP material in his marketing. They let him keeps his ScottWeilandSTP Twitter handle and his Purple to the Core tour going for months after the firing. It was only when he tried to block their radio play that they took legal action.

Ouch...

I'm not convinced of any of this.  Scott clearly miscalculated.  But to say STP was going to do a 20 year reunion tour and/or Scott hijacked it is nonsense.  The Deleos equally miscalculated.  Now they own a Scott-less STP.  Sounds awesome.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2015, 06:25:38 AM »

Where did you hear that Scott all of the sudden "stole" this 20th anniversary tour for himself? 

This is where all the information gets murky. 

On one hand some people believe that the Deleo's/Eric wanted to play the deeper tracks, and Core live in it's entirety. Then on the other side, people believe that it was in fact Scott that was the one who was trying to push for new set lists (and Core in it's entirety for their 20th). 

As far as I've always believed... Scott was the one who wanted to change up the set list, and branch out more from that generic "greatest hits" tour.  He's mentioned it in several interviews, as well as expressed his frustration with their monotonous live sets. (Then factor in all the "money saving" and "greedy" decisions the Deleos have made, and it makes sense that they were the ones hanging onto the Greatest Hits shows purely because they were more profitable). 

Here's an excerpt from an interview Scott had with Rolling Stone in 2012:

On September 1st, Weiland and his Stone Temple Pilots bandmates will launch a tour in Hershey, Pennsylvania to celebrate the 20th anniversary of their debut LP, Core. "I'm looking forward to it," he says. "We're going to play the album in its entirety. I think it'll be really fun, because the one thing that I got tired of was sort of playing the same basic set list every night. It was like, 'the hits.' This way, it's something different, and I think it will be cool."

Scott's 'Purple At The Core' was just a result of STP breaking up BEFORE doing any of their scheduled 20th anniversary shows.  Sure it was a bit opportunistic, but as he mentioned in several interviews (and the one I quoted above), he wanted to do something different. So after they broke up, he just continued on with what he was planning on doing anyways... a 20th anniversary tour.  Then after that he went right back to keeping his solo identity separate from his STP identity like he always did.

Also, it never seemed like the DeLeos wanted to play deeper tracks, or anything other than their singles/greatest hits... which is why they just kept the greatest hits tour going with Chester.  They know they'll make more money catering to casual fans with the hits, so that's all they care about.  Meanwhile Scott has been content changing up his tours (Happy, Christmas, Covers, book signing shows, 20th anniversary, and now a Blaster tour).

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »
Yeah, I dunno if I believe the "STP was going to do Core 20th anniversary shows but didn't because Scott had a tour based around the hit songs from Core & Purple the year after Core's 20th" idea.

There was also the whole "coffee table book" and remastered/bonus tracks version of Core that were supposed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Core. The lack of those existing is also Scott's fault, right?

In 2012, the 20th anniversary of Core's release, Stone Temple Pilots AND Scott Weiland's solo band both played multiple shows, and neither band played anything other than greatest hits sets, minus some deep cuts like when STP played Bi-Polar Bear or Scott's band played Sometimes Chicken Soup. No playing Core all the way through by either band, despite the multiple opportunities and more than one member discussing the possibility.....

Scott's bad "Purple At The (or was it "To The"?) Core" tour didn't even start until after those money hungry fools "officially terminated" Scott after they milked him for all he was worth for the previous 5 years. I bet they never even thanked him for letting him pay their mortgages from 2008 through 2012.

Let's all just act like Scott's a complete miserable fuckup and 2008 through 2012 were complete shit and nothing good came from STP's reunion, and that you either have to be with Scott or against him.

It's really obvious who the money motivated, legacy pissing on ones are in this situation, and I'm not going to name names, but their current band didn't pick a new band name, and they didn't decide to call their little group "Talk Show featuring that guy from Linkin Park".... But it's okay, because Scott did NOTHING for them since their last album in 2001. Oh, wait.

Yawn. This conversation is getting old.
Bleeda blooda

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »
Yeah, I dunno if I believe the "STP was going to do Core 20th anniversary shows but didn't because Scott had a tour based around the hit songs from Core & Purple the year after Core's 20th" idea.

There was also the whole "coffee table book" and remastered/bonus tracks version of Core that were supposed to coincide with the 20th anniversary of Core. The lack of those existing is also Scott's fault, right?

In 2012, the 20th anniversary of Core's release, Stone Temple Pilots AND Scott Weiland's solo band both played multiple shows, and neither band played anything other than greatest hits sets, minus some deep cuts like when STP played Bi-Polar Bear or Scott's band played Sometimes Chicken Soup. No playing Core all the way through by either band, despite the multiple opportunities and more than one member discussing the possibility.....

Scott's bad "Purple At The (or was it "To The"?) Core" tour didn't even start until after those money hungry fools "officially terminated" Scott after they milked him for all he was worth for the previous 5 years. I bet they never even thanked him for letting him pay their mortgages from 2008 through 2012.

Let's all just act like Scott's a complete miserable fuckup and 2008 through 2012 were complete shit and nothing good came from STP's reunion, and that you either have to be with Scott or against him.

It's really obvious who the money motivated, legacy pissing on ones are in this situation, and I'm not going to name names, but their current band didn't pick a new band name, and they didn't decide to call their little group "Talk Show featuring that guy from Linkin Park".... But it's okay, because Scott did NOTHING for them since their last album in 2001. Oh, wait.

Yawn. This conversation is getting old.

The one thing I never understood is why ANY of these guys were so bad at marketing... 

There would always be rumors of "coffee table book" and remastered/bonus tracks", DVDs, live shows.  But nothing ever got released!  It took them forever to get a proper website (BelowEmpty always blew their official one away), and STP never really had any good merchandise (tour shirts, etc.).  With the DeLeos trying to milk the STP brand to death, it's surprising they never pushed to release b-sides, live shows, documentaries, or any of that stockpiled material they're sitting on.

Oddly enough, the whole KickStarter/PledgeMusic scene has upped the ante in terms of offerings (some really cool stuff on Scott's Blaster pre-sale). I'd bet that CheSTP does something similar too. Just a shame these things weren't around during the good ol days.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2015, 02:59:09 PM »
I always felt the same way!  Their merch was always very lackluster with the exception of 2 shirts from the
"No. 4" era.  (Album cover shirt, and the one with the girl on the hot rod). It has always amazed me that we don't have any dvd releases of complete live shows outside of Alive In The Windy City. This is especially disheartening because there is so much live footage from No. 4 and SLDD tours. I mean really?  And yes, I want to say that at their Vic Theatre show from Chicago in September of 2012 I think I actually remember the band being on stage talking about doing a "Core" tour the next year, releasing a coffee table book, as well as re-releasing "Core".

These are the same guys who were supposed to release a few extras around SLDD that also never saw the light of day.  What I really want to know is.... SLDD was originally intended to be a double album, so where are the rest of those songs?

Ultimately I have to agree, bad marketing and some lack of follow through all the way.  It's plagued them for years though, it's nothing new.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 03:01:27 PM by NickLorenza »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2015, 04:01:02 PM »
I guess when Atlantic was shifting millions of copies without the band even getting out of bed, being better at marketing was the last thing on their minds. It wasn't until the record sales collapsed that they realised they needed to do more, by then it was too late.

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:56 PM »
Scott was fired because he hijacked STP's Core 20th Anniversary tour. This is a known fact.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2013/06/10/scott-weilands-wrong-call-about-stone-temple-pilots-and-what-really-happens-when-star-performers-go-solo/

The firing coincided with the start of the Purple at the Core tour, just in case you didn't get the connection. Scott and Doug denied the firing at LAX as they were boarding the flight to the first show.

The rock band Stone Temple Pilots recently fired their lead singer and founding member, Scott Weiland, because, among other things, he was taking their show on the road without them. “We were in the process of putting our 20th anniversary tour together to celebrate the release of our first album, Core,” explained the band on their website on May 30th. “The plan was for a big tour where we’d perform the album in its entirety, along with some other favorite STP songs. So, you might imagine our shock and disappointment when, without any notice, we learned that Scott had seized this tour for himself as his solo tour, and decided to do exactly what we as a group had planned.”