September 24, 2024, 08:26:53 AM

Author Topic: First Review Of Scott Weiland's New Album 'Blaster'  (Read 12805 times)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: First Review Of Scott Weiland's New Album 'Blaster'
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2015, 02:21:35 PM »
Welp, I guess you win this round, Vaporized. But excuse me for being skeptical after all your previous bits of inside information turned out to be hot air.

Brett, don't let the idiots ruin it for the majority of us here who aren't overly sensitive little boys. Do the right thing.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
I actually don't think Brett's review is bad. If you consider what an album *could* be (Sgt Pepper, Pet Sounds), think about how Purple / Tiny Music measures up against those, then think about how Scott's best measures up to those, I can see how this album would fall on his scale. I just don't get how High Rise fell so high on that scale too... maybe it's a different EP scale he has? It's also exciting to know there are some standout tracks that are better than the ones we've heard so far.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:22 PM »
Check the download section for a surprise that should make you all happy and shut up Brett.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:58:30 PM by Lazy Divey »

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »
It's also exciting to know there are some standout tracks that are better than the ones we've heard so far.

I've seen a few people say this.

Not hating on Brett, but just because he says the ones we've heard are the weakest doesn't mean they are. I suppose if you disliked the 2 we've heard, you could read the statement as fact, but otherwise it's only one guy's opinion.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2015, 04:38:19 PM »
Check the download section for a surprise that should make you all happy

It's been a brutal couple of days in my personal life, but finally getting to hear this song really made my day.  I appreciate it; thank you!

I've asked Scott & Doug about it in person years ago, and all I got was "maybe" or "one day".  Even told Scott I think his version sounded better than Pharrell's, which got a small laugh and a thanks.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

gravedancer

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2015, 04:45:15 PM »
Someone else's review never means anything to me until I hear it on my own. If I wanted to, I could start a website and post my reviews for people to read - but I'm not going to. Brett did and he gets to post it. I mean it's shitty to read about Scott's past in most articles that are posted but nobody is making anything up, these are all decisions that Scott made himself. It is what it is.

Either way, to me it seems like Brett and Vaporized and whoever else heard it posted honest reviews. They didn't bash the music. They openly admitted to liking some of it, and disliking some of it. Seems just fine to me. I hate the song Pretty Penny, but that's just my opinion. I'll judge the album when I hear it, but thank you for your reviews so far!
STP Shows: 05-25-08 - Wallingford, CT, 09-23-12 - Sacramento, CA
SWB Shows: 03-07-13 - Boston, MA, 06-07-13 - San Francisco, CA

ejsme

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »
Dude, Happy is awesome!!! It has more of that "weirdness" that I miss from Weiland's stuff nowadays. Sounds like 12BB meets Wondergirls.
I'm so glad I finally got to hear this!!!! Anybody happen to have the video they made for it? I remember disco balls and tuxedos... looked pretty cool. I remember when he first posted the pics from the video shoot and I was happy because it seemed like "artsy" Scott was back. I was getting a little bored with the whole leather pants/Rob Halford look and more straight-forward hard rock sound of Velvet Revolver.

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2015, 05:42:20 PM »
Here's the very first sentence in each of the songs... Well, those that I can understand anyway. And, I'm rushed at the moment. Brett can either confirm or deny.

Besides, I thought better than to share full song lyrics two months before the album is released.

1. Bleed Out - Tell me what to say...
2. Blue Eyes - Ever since I met you blue eyes...
3. Beach Pop - All summer night sittin' chillin' at my window...
4. White Lightning -
5. Hotel Rio - Talkin' to a guy just the other day...
6. Amethyst - Wanna see with closed up eyes...
7. Way She Moves - You got to be around the way she moves...
8. Modzilla -
9. Youth Quake - (I can't understand what he's saying here) Brett, help?
10. Parachute - Kickin' back watchin' the new revolution...
11. 20th Century Boy - Wednesday is fine, Wednesday is good...
12. Circles - I was thinkin' about what you said to me last night...

Damn, that's proof in the pudding.  haha Congrats on your early listening!
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011
September 13th 2011(cancelled day of)

drynaski

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »

It's also exciting to know there are some standout tracks that are better than the ones we've heard so far.

I've seen a few people say this.

Not hating on Brett, but just because he says the ones we've heard are the weakest doesn't mean they are. I suppose if you disliked the 2 we've heard, you could read the statement as fact, but otherwise it's only one guy's opinion.

I like Modzilla and White Lightning. Modzilla has a great riff, Scott's verses are cool, the chorus sounds good too, it's just hard to tell what he's saying, and I think catchy choruses should have clear vocal parts that listeners can repeat back to themselves after only hearing once. It's hard to make out with all of the layering. White Lightning has some great tones, Scott's voice sounds great, the riff / chord progression just sounds like it's been done a million times before and the only thing that sets it apart is the gritty in-your-face production. I feel the Deleos would've chose to play the chords differently and/or used the bass part to give it a unique signature musically if they were presented with the same part. So I think they're good, I just haven't been clamoring to replay them like I do with certain new music. At the same time, I think not all songs need to be super-catchy single-worthy songs to make sense for an album. I always think back to Sufjan Steven's Illinoise album, there are many short instrumentals, some very bland-ish songs, but they almost give the listener a breather or help set the mood for the next set of songs. Either way, I'm excited to hear more.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 06:29:16 PM by drynaski »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
Check the download section for a surprise that should make you all happy and shut up Brett.

THANK YOU!! You have made my day! I'd like to think my post about it (at the top of the page) had something to do with it but I'm sure it was just a coincidence ;-)
Either way, thanks again for being kind enough to share it with us and not just hording it like a lot of fan's do these days.
The song btw sounds great, his voice was really good here and i'm loving the whole vibe to it... Not to piss on the parade or anything but in all honesty I'm enjoying it more than the 2 Wildabouts songs that we've heard but the past is the past I guess and it's nice to have this AND the new stuff!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »
Man, Happy in Galoshes, had it contained Happy, Breathe, and I Know It's Too Late in place of a couple other songs, would have improved the album greatly.

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2015, 09:59:31 PM »
Quick question: does anyone know if this version of "Happy" is produced by Pharrell ?

I'm guessing that there was only one version of this song recorded and it had his production on it.

Casual

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2015, 10:19:35 PM »
Brett, how would you compare this to the High Rise EP? I know it's apples and oranges but which has the better songs? I'm guessing Weiland cuz I was pretty underwhelmed by the EP.

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2015, 11:21:10 PM »
Vaporized, do you agree with Brett's order of songs? would you say Modzilla and White Lightning aren't even near the top? I question Brett because he liked the new Smashing Pumpkins so much (Sorry Brett, it sucks).

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2015, 12:18:45 AM »
Vaporized, do you agree with Brett's order of songs? would you say Modzilla and White Lightning aren't even near the top? I question Brett because he liked the new Smashing Pumpkins so much (Sorry Brett, it sucks).

So, if I were to be completely honest here, I'd have to say this would be a really great EP. It would be an EP better than the High Rise EP.

I think the good tracks on what I have are:

Bleed Out
Blue Eyes
White Lightning
Amethyst
Modzilla
Circles

If there was room for another track, Way She Moves or Parachute would be in a battle.

Honestly, the rest are kind of misses for me. I've been skipping everything else pretty frequently due to the rest just being bad songs.

Of this specific grouping of songs, White Lightning and Modzilla are my least faves.
Take it.