September 24, 2024, 08:21:21 AM

Author Topic: First Review Of Scott Weiland's New Album 'Blaster'  (Read 12803 times)

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: First Review Of Scott Weiland's New Album 'Blaster'
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2015, 11:10:25 PM »
My goodness, Brett sure is showing his maturity.  ThAT is a journalist? So musicians are supposed to take your site seriously with the immaturity you post there and here? Take the criticism and suck it up. Your reputation is on the line.

Still, his site is only a blog. His reviews are no better than any other fan's review of whatever subject.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 11:15:51 PM »
My goodness, Brett sure is showing his maturity.  ThAT is a journalist? So musicians are supposed to take your site seriously with the immaturity you post there and here? Take the criticism and suck it up. Your reputation is on the line.

Still, his site is only a blog. His reviews are no better than any other fan's review of whatever subject.

'Summer's gone too soon/the winter's coming out/your lies are showing/my tears are flowing/you have me going out of my head'

-Scott Weiland - "Happy"

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2015, 12:01:56 AM »
Many days until March 31.  I'll wait for the album and give it a listen.  Sounds like it'll be solid but unspectacular.  Cool thing about Scott is he can mix up his live set with so much material.  Glad people have gotten off the Wildabouts.   

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 12:14:02 AM »
The Wonkabars

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 12:44:47 AM »
I actually used it to display how impressed I was with the songs I liked and to give the album context.  If you'd told me during Purple at the Core his next album would actually have some songs I really like, I'd be shocked.  It's a comeback album for him, he hasn't released new music in 5 years.  I spent most of the review breaking down the songs and songwriting.  I also reviewed the album in the tracklisting order it was sent to me.

That's fair. I didn't really look at it as a comeback album, but if 'Blaster' is successful, then it makes sense.

Didn't mean to throw another "review attack" at ya; it was more of a criticism of reviews in general. Which you know how they tend to read as a fan. Regardless of the article's subject, any mention of Scott is prefaced by his past full of dirty laundry ad nauseam. Scott could cure cancer, and all the articles would still start off with all the bad shit he's done.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 12:45:20 AM »
I'm more surprised that so many people have apparently had the album since November but chose to not mention ANYTHING about it until now...
Also Brett has the elusive 'Happy' song too, how did you get your hands on that? If you don't leak it I doubt any of us will ever hear it tbh, I can't even find the little clip of it that was online all those years ago. Is it a good track?
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2015, 01:54:40 AM »
Here's the very first sentence in each of the songs... Well, those that I can understand anyway. And, I'm rushed at the moment. Brett can either confirm or deny.

Besides, I thought better than to share full song lyrics two months before the album is released.

1. Bleed Out - Tell me what to say...
2. Blue Eyes - Ever since I met you blue eyes...
3. Beach Pop - All summer night sittin' chillin' at my window...
4. White Lightning -
5. Hotel Rio - Talkin' to a guy just the other day...
6. Amethyst - Wanna see with closed up eyes...
7. Way She Moves - You got to be around the way she moves...
8. Modzilla -
9. Youth Quake - (I can't understand what he's saying here) Brett, help?
10. Parachute - Kickin' back watchin' the new revolution...
11. 20th Century Boy - Wednesday is fine, Wednesday is good...
12. Circles - I was thinkin' about what you said to me last night...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:13:03 AM by Vaporized »
Take it.

Vaporized

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 02:16:42 AM »
I'm more surprised that so many people have apparently had the album since November but chose to not mention ANYTHING about it until now...
Also Brett has the elusive 'Happy' song too, how did you get your hands on that? If you don't leak it I doubt any of us will ever hear it tbh, I can't even find the little clip of it that was online all those years ago. Is it a good track?

I don't come here anymore. I just happened to pop in and saw Brett's review so of course I had to offer my 2 cents.

I really think everyone here will really enjoy this album, for what it is.

And, I think the live show might be pretty cool if he can control his booze intake and pill poppin' long enough to deliver a performance for 75 minutes every night.

I'll let you guys be the judge of the live show. I'm not getting screwed again by this guy.
Take it.

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 03:19:26 AM »
Here's the very first sentence in each of the songs... Well, those that I can understand anyway. And, I'm rushed at the moment. Brett can either confirm or deny.

Besides, I thought better than to share full song lyrics two months before the album is released.

4. White Lightning -
8. Modzilla -

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 03:28:23 AM »
Nice review, better score than I expected it would get. Pretty stoked to listen to it in full. Really excited to hear "Beach Pop Rock", "The Way She Moves", and "Hotel Rio".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:30:28 AM by Down-Plush »

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 03:41:46 AM »

4. White Lightning -
8. Modzilla -

Yep, Vaporized has heard it.  I don't know what the hell he's singing in the opening to "Youth Quake" either, with the mix in the version we've both heard (October mix) it's hard to understand many lyrics.  Something about bringing the noise and kids dressed in black in the chorus.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 05:10:27 AM »
I also have no clue why everyone is so mad at Brett, but I thought the review was fine. (Maybe it has something to do with all my smites. I must be an awful fan too).

Anyway, thanks man. I enjoyed reading it. I don't need a fan to be blind. An opinion, good or bad, is okay with me if it can be backed up :-)

sonofthecastle

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »
All joking and image macros aside, me and Brett agreed on pretty much everything, and not to contradict him here, but I will say I DID enjoy Youth Quake. To me it almost sounds Cage the Elephant influenced in the verses. Really weird lyrics that are really hard to understand, I'll just post whatever I could make out here:

(Part of verse one): "Take us to the motorcycle racing track. Put it into gear and you give it gas. (?) Boogieing (?)on the west side, let it charge, bring it to the place where the youthquakes hard, back to the jail where it all went down. Hold on, hold on, hold on, Take it to the east side tear it down.

(chorus) Waiting for the kings are all dressed in black. Power of the boy you'll be giving back. West side girls meet east side boys, doesn't really matter if they bring the noise. Kingdom of the youthquake going round (can't understand this part), and so they all meet their deaths, and they're better off for it

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:34:49 AM by sonofthecastle »

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »
Let's calm down, folks. So three people got their hands on an unmastered collection of rough mixes of these songs. They are sharing their thoughts, with or without a hidden agenda. Just remember what it is: an opinion which no one has to agree with. I'll wait until I hear the official promo or release until I decide what to think of it. At that time I'll be able to place any comments about the songs in a context. I just hope that these discussions can remain clean and respectful. Thanks.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2015, 01:10:24 PM »

I was listening to a local radio station (94.3 "The Shark") and the DJ mentioned 'Blaster'. They seemed like they heard it, then talked about it/Scott... but then  proceed to play 'Meatplow' instead of his new stuff.  There are TWO new songs out, and they both easily could work on the radio; don't know why they'll talk about the album but won't play the songs. Makes no sense.

Also... if you're right, and Brett or anyone else has 'Happy'... LEAK IT!  Seriously, it's unreleased, the statute of limitations is probably long gone, and it can only be a good thing. Think about the four unreleased NO.4/SLDD outtakes from back in the day that were leaked here.  Shit, I'm still talking about that legendary leak 12 years later.  DO IT!  Not just for me, or the fans; but for the kids... they are our future (or some shit, idk).
"Hey there... how's your steak?"