September 24, 2024, 08:16:56 AM

Author Topic: First Review Of Scott Weiland's New Album 'Blaster'  (Read 12798 times)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:53:53 AM by StoneTempleBrett »

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: First Review Of Scott Weiland's New Album 'Blaster'
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:14 AM »
Here, now you don't have to give some clickbait site the advertising revenue they're so desperate for:

Scott Weiland is back with his first album of new material in 5 years: Blaster.  The album comes out next month, and Alternative Nation has the first review. The last 5 years have been some of the most tumultuous of Weiland’s career. In 2010 Stone Temple Pilots’ released their self-titled comeback album, featuring some solid tracks like “Between The Lines” and “Maver.” The album turned out to be the real STP’s last, as they fired Weiland in 2013 for a variety of reasons that have been documented ad nauseum on this website. Weiland also released The Most Wonderful Time of the Year in 2011, a bizarre album (with an even more bizarre tour) full of Christmas song covers. Weiland then embarked on The Purple at the Core tour in 2013, one of the worst reviewed tours of his career, but he bounced back last year showcasing new material at select well received shows.

I own every album Weiland has made (even the Christmas album) and am a huge fan of his work, so despite all of the bullshit that’s gone on in his career the last 5 years, I was excited to finally hear some new material from the greatest ‘melody man’ (as Fred Durst once called him) of the 90’s.

The album opens up with “Bleed Out,” a Grungy track with heavy Tiny Music vocal elements. The track sets the tone for the album with the garage rock production, and has some promising elements, but the lyrics feel undercooked.

“Blue Eyes” is influenced by David Bowie and The Cure, and sounds a bit like a more upbeat version of Stone Temple Pilots’ “First Kiss On Mars.” Weiland sings, ‘Looking through the phone book found your number/don’t ever know how I’d ever lose it/Never really spoke computer language/always chose communication.’ The chorus is enjoyable.

“Beach Pop Rock” is a throwback 60’s surf rock song, with a Scott Weiland twist. The song has a nice nostalgic melody, but meanders a bit during a breakdown (which happens a few times on the album), overall though it’s a nice song.

“White Lightening” has a derivative riff and the melody never really goes anywhere, I’m actually surprised they’re pushing this as a single when there are definitely better songs on the album. The same goes for “Modzilla,” which features a generic verse melody and overproduction on the vocals. “Modzilla” never really goes anywhere, only featuring two melodies, the mediocre verse and semi-interesting chorus. “Hotel Rio” is middle of the road, the song gets redundant, but there is some promise in there, especially the last melody that comes in the final minute of the song. It sounds like a song you would hear during a breakup montage in a romantic movie.

“Amethyst” is the first track that really grabbed me, and reached the melodic highs that Weiland is famous for. It blows away everything that comes before it on the album, and has a real sense of urgency. The track definitely holds up to Weiland’s prime work, and is reminiscent of Purple, but with a modern twist. The chorus is one of the best on the album, ‘I can see why no one finds you waiting/I can’t breathe so if you hear me sinking.’ Weiland later sings, ‘Don’t believe there’s a disguise/looking back at all the wasted time in the life.’

“The Way She Moves” is a 70’s classic rock throwback. Weiland’s vocals sound lackadaisical here, especially compared to the previous track. There are some interesting riffs and melodies, but the song never really takes off. “Youth Quake” is an upbeat rocker, but lacks memorable lyrics and melodies.

“Parachute” is one of the best tracks on the album. Weiland goes from singing ‘Walking the dog with my monkey’s alligator’ in the pre-chorus to a beautiful chorus, ‘Catch you when you when you’re falling/even when you’re not/I see you through the eyes of love/even when you’re crawling/even if you’re falling/I’ll be a parachute to hold you up.’ In the song’s last 2 minutes the song hits its sonic high point, with elements of STP’s “Dare If You Dare” and some Beatlesque melodies. Weiland sings, ‘Look for revelation/our time of meditation/keep seeking with the spirit of love.’ The song’s main riff sounds a lot like the DeLeo brothers, but in a good way.

The “20th Century Boy” cover is alright. At times Weiland leans too heavily on his David Bowie voice, though the chorus is good.

“Circles” is the best song on the album. If Weiland had enough money behind him, the song would definitely do well on radio. The track is a ballad with country elements, and flows in a way that never lets up melodically. Weiland sings, ‘There’s no angels/there’s no service to save me/ain’t no heavens/ain’t no masters to protect you/I’ll care for you/far away we dream side by side/I wish we could just run away/leave it all behind/but we got faith/there’s gonna be a sunrise.’ The song has a tight and simple melody that will get stuck in your head, and the lyrics are some of his best on the album.

Overall, Blaster is a mixed bag. It features a few great songs, some alright songs, and some forgettable songs. The album definitely proves that Weiland still has something left, which is very promising especially after the disastrous Purple at the Core tour and his firing from STP. Weiland’s backing band the Wildabouts sound solid, especially guitarist Jeremy Brown who shines with his solo on “Amethyst.” The band seems to have found their footing after the firing of Doug Grean.

Scoring this album is tough, as the album’s three best tracks are stellar additions to Weiland’s catalog, but the rest of the album is very hit and miss, like many recent releases from 90’s artists. Overall though I’d definitely recommend “Circles,” “Parachute,” and “Amethyst” to fans looking to sample a few tracks.

Score: 6/10

Best to worst tracks:
1. Circles
2. Parachute
3. Amethyst
4. Beach Pop Rock
5. Blue Eyes
6. Bleed Out
7. The Way She Moves
8. 20th Century Boy
9. Hotel Rio
10. Modzilla
11. White Lightening
12. Youth Quake

You're welcome.
Bleeda blooda

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:40:00 AM »
Weiland also released [/size]The Most Wonderful Time of the Year[/color][/size] in 2011, a bizarre album (with an even more bizarre tour) full of Christmas song covers. Weiland then embarked on The Purple at the Core tour in 2013, one of the worst reviewed tours of his career, [/color]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plteXDmbA2I

Good god you need something new to talk about.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 11:09:56 AM »
You two are pathetic, absolutely pathetic.

http://www.alternativenation.net/scott-weiland-blaster-review/

Thanks for this, it was a good read and I look forward to the album.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:17:47 AM »
Bleeda blooda

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:17 AM »
Here, now you don't have to give some clickbait site the advertising revenue they're so desperate for:

Scott Weiland is back with his first album of new material in 5 years: Blaster.  The album comes out next month, and Alternative Nation has the first review. The last 5 years have been some of the most tumultuous of Weiland’s career. In 2010 Stone Temple Pilots’ released their self-titled comeback album, featuring some solid tracks like “Between The Lines” and “Maver.” The album turned out to be the real STP’s last, as they fired Weiland in 2013 for a variety of reasons that have been documented ad nauseum on this website. Weiland also released The Most Wonderful Time of the Year in 2011, a bizarre album (with an even more bizarre tour) full of Christmas song covers. Weiland then embarked on The Purple at the Core tour in 2013, one of the worst reviewed tours of his career, but he bounced back last year showcasing new material at select well received shows.

I own every album Weiland has made (even the Christmas album) and am a huge fan of his work, so despite all of the bullshit that’s gone on in his career the last 5 years, I was excited to finally hear some new material from the greatest ‘melody man’ (as Fred Durst once called him) of the 90’s.

The album opens up with “Bleed Out,” a Grungy track with heavy Tiny Music vocal elements. The track sets the tone for the album with the garage rock production, and has some promising elements, but the lyrics feel undercooked.

“Blue Eyes” is influenced by David Bowie and The Cure, and sounds a bit like a more upbeat version of Stone Temple Pilots’ “First Kiss On Mars.” Weiland sings, ‘Looking through the phone book found your number/don’t ever know how I’d ever lose it/Never really spoke computer language/always chose communication.’ The chorus is enjoyable.

“Beach Pop Rock” is a throwback 60’s surf rock song, with a Scott Weiland twist. The song has a nice nostalgic melody, but meanders a bit during a breakdown (which happens a few times on the album), overall though it’s a nice song.

“White Lightening” has a derivative riff and the melody never really goes anywhere, I’m actually surprised they’re pushing this as a single when there are definitely better songs on the album. The same goes for “Modzilla,” which features a generic verse melody and overproduction on the vocals. “Modzilla” never really goes anywhere, only featuring two melodies, the mediocre verse and semi-interesting chorus. “Hotel Rio” is middle of the road, the song gets redundant, but there is some promise in there, especially the last melody that comes in the final minute of the song. It sounds like a song you would hear during a breakup montage in a romantic movie.

“Amethyst” is the first track that really grabbed me, and reached the melodic highs that Weiland is famous for. It blows away everything that comes before it on the album, and has a real sense of urgency. The track definitely holds up to Weiland’s prime work, and is reminiscent of Purple, but with a modern twist. The chorus is one of the best on the album, ‘I can see why no one finds you waiting/I can’t breathe so if you hear me sinking.’ Weiland later sings, ‘Don’t believe there’s a disguise/looking back at all the wasted time in the life.’

“The Way She Moves” is a 70’s classic rock throwback. Weiland’s vocals sound lackadaisical here, especially compared to the previous track. There are some interesting riffs and melodies, but the song never really takes off. “Youth Quake” is an upbeat rocker, but lacks memorable lyrics and melodies.

“Parachute” is one of the best tracks on the album. Weiland goes from singing ‘Walking the dog with my monkey’s alligator’ in the pre-chorus to a beautiful chorus, ‘Catch you when you when you’re falling/even when you’re not/I see you through the eyes of love/even when you’re crawling/even if you’re falling/I’ll be a parachute to hold you up.’ In the song’s last 2 minutes the song hits its sonic high point, with elements of STP’s “Dare If You Dare” and some Beatlesque melodies. Weiland sings, ‘Look for revelation/our time of meditation/keep seeking with the spirit of love.’ The song’s main riff sounds a lot like the DeLeo brothers, but in a good way.

The “20th Century Boy” cover is alright. At times Weiland leans too heavily on his David Bowie voice, though the chorus is good.

“Circles” is the best song on the album. If Weiland had enough money behind him, the song would definitely do well on radio. The track is a ballad with country elements, and flows in a way that never lets up melodically. Weiland sings, ‘There’s no angels/there’s no service to save me/ain’t no heavens/ain’t no masters to protect you/I’ll care for you/far away we dream side by side/I wish we could just run away/leave it all behind/but we got faith/there’s gonna be a sunrise.’ The song has a tight and simple melody that will get stuck in your head, and the lyrics are some of his best on the album.

Overall, Blaster is a mixed bag. It features a few great songs, some alright songs, and some forgettable songs. The album definitely proves that Weiland still has something left, which is very promising especially after the disastrous Purple at the Core tour and his firing from STP. Weiland’s backing band the Wildabouts sound solid, especially guitarist Jeremy Brown who shines with his solo on “Amethyst.” The band seems to have found their footing after the firing of Doug Grean.

Scoring this album is tough, as the album’s three best tracks are stellar additions to Weiland’s catalog, but the rest of the album is very hit and miss, like many recent releases from 90’s artists. Overall though I’d definitely recommend “Circles,” “Parachute,” and “Amethyst” to fans looking to sample a few tracks.

Score: 6/10

Best to worst tracks:
1. Circles
2. Parachute
3. Amethyst
4. Beach Pop Rock
5. Blue Eyes
6. Bleed Out
7. The Way She Moves
8. 20th Century Boy
9. Hotel Rio
10. Modzilla
11. White Lightening
12. Youth Quake

You're welcome.

Terrible review, btw.
Bleeda blooda

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:37:20 AM »
Good grief, you must be one of the most monumentally petty and childish people I have ever come across.

You should be totally embarrassed to be acting like this. My 4 year old nephew is more mature than you.

Lazy Divey

• Pink love fuzz
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 01:10:30 PM »
Good grief, you must be one of the most monumentally petty and childish people I have ever come across.

You should be totally embarrassed to be acting like this. My 4 year old nephew is more mature than you.

Pot and kettle.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 01:24:24 PM »
Not sure why everyone hates on Brett so much?! I'm actually grateful he's created a site dedicated to grunge and alternative music, it saves me hunting all around the web for the latest news on my favourite bands...

The review was good too, nice to get an idea as to what some of these songs are going to sound like.

My only concern is that if they're sending copies of this out to magazines and websites for review already then it will inevitably leak over the coming days, which could damage the sales of this album considering it's not due for release for nearly 2 whole months.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

ShaneC

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Not sure why everyone hates on Brett so much?! I'm actually grateful he's created a site dedicated to grunge and alternative music, it saves me hunting all around the web for the latest news on my favourite bands...

The review was good too, nice to get an idea as to what some of these songs are going to sound like.

My only concern is that if they're sending copies of this out to magazines and websites for review already then it will inevitably leak over the coming days, which could damage the sales of this album considering it's not due for release for nearly 2 whole months.

The people whining about Brett are wasting their time and effort. Let them, they may not have much else.

I think we will see Blaster leak soon, as well. I hope the material gets radio play, though. I think people will dig this album, if they can hear it. As the review says, the 2 we have heard so far are not even the best tunes on the disc, but I think they are both solid tunes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:05:15 PM by ShaneC »
You dirty pirate hooker. Go back to your home on Whore Island!

- Ron Burgundy

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 02:31:35 PM »

As the review says, the 2 we have heard so far are not even the best tunes on the disc, but I think they are both solid tunes.

Yeah, if the 2 we've heard are the weakest on the album then that's a good sign considering I like both of those tunes, having said that they were definitely growers and not 'instant classics', probably not the best choices for singles. 'Circles' was a song that, even on first listen from a crappy audience shot video I just knew it was something special... Hoping the Autotune hasn't ruined that one, although Brett doesn't mention it in his review so perhaps it's not too noticeable.

IdahoSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 03:17:17 PM »
Very poor review......I have been listening to the album since November. All of the lacking this lacking that comments thru that entire review are bs.....1st off Bleed Out does not start the album off. Pretty easy to see that on the official track listing on iTunes. Modzilla is the album starter. The songs have great lyrics and some of what he is posting as lyrics are incorrect......The album is a lot stronger than he is claiming. Can't wait for people to hear themselves. The song Beach Pop not Beach Pop Rock is very catchy and does have a Ramones feel. Again, official track listing gives you the title. Adding rock at the end is not correct. Flaky review and it is too bad alternative nation was given the opportunity to review the album because he has done it zero justice and more than likely made people have doubt's about blaster. The album kicks ass all the way thru. I have been a fan since sex type thing premiered on Headbanger's ball. I have listened to it over and over never gets old. Weiland changes voices like a chamelion and the album is full of great lyrics and melodies......9/10 for me! I have not heard anything since November come out that is better than this record. A lot better sounding and catchy album than the new Foo record......

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 03:42:42 PM »
Very poor review......I have been listening to the album since November. All of the lacking this lacking that comments thru that entire review are bs.....1st off Bleed Out does not start the album off. Pretty easy to see that on the official track listing on iTunes. Modzilla is the album starter. The songs have great lyrics and some of what he is posting as lyrics are incorrect......The album is a lot stronger than he is claiming. Can't wait for people to hear themselves. The song Beach Pop not Beach Pop Rock is very catchy and does have a Ramones feel. Again, official track listing gives you the title. Adding rock at the end is not correct. Flaky review and it is too bad alternative nation was given the opportunity to review the album because he has done it zero justice and more than likely made people have doubt's about blaster. The album kicks ass all the way thru. I have been a fan since sex type thing premiered on Headbanger's ball. I have listened to it over and over never gets old. Weiland changes voices like a chamelion and the album is full of great lyrics and melodies......9/10 for me! I have not heard anything since November come out that is better than this record. A lot better sounding and catchy album than the new Foo record......

You've had the album since last November?! Are you IN the band or something!? Scott only announced that it was finished in November so it's a bit hard to believe you've had a copy since then -
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/scott-weiland-completes-work-on-new-album-looks-forward-to-release-of-internet-single/

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 03:48:09 PM »

Thanks for this!
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!