September 29, 2024, 04:42:03 AM

Author Topic: Art Of Anarchy  (Read 71651 times)

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Art Of Anarchy
« Reply #420 on: June 18, 2015, 05:10:19 PM »
no one should be late, especially INTENTIONALLY late.  We should not approve one way or another.  It's disrespectful to make the people paying hard earned $$ to have to assume and plan accordingly just to see you.

I'm pretty sure GNR pays A LOT of money in penalty fees for going way past curfew.  It's all calculated and planned into the budget..... ROCK N ROLL!

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:12:48 PM by CritterTypeThing »
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

NakedFountain

• And I think I think too much
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Bi Polar Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:33 PM »
Axl can still be late and very often is, but he isn't as late anymore as he used to be. His lateness was one of the biggest issues between him and Bumblefoot. Bumblefoot would be pissed about it and he would confront Axl. Initially Axl would get angry but he seemed to respect Bumblefoot for actually standing up to him as not many people are willing to take the risk. I've seen GN'R four times and the latest he ever went on was at around 11.15. The first time I saw GN'R he went on only half an hour late.

Anyways, I don't think Bumblefoot will stand for lateness from Scott's side if he ever choses to actually tour with AoA. He would tell Axl off, so why wouldn't he do the same with Scott? Bumblefoot left GN'R because of the lack of new material though, not because of Axl's lateness.
"I wanna drink from your naked fountain
I can drown your sorrow"

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 21, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »
Have been spinning  this disc recently. I did not know really what to expect but whatever it was, this album surpassed it. Despite Scott's initial downplaying of this project and how his vocals were recorded had me wondering at first but this album sounds a lot more cohesive that I thought it would be. I would recommend it to anyone sitting on the fence thinking of buying it.

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 22, 2015, 03:52:13 AM »
   Just to put in my 2 cents in this thread about AoA.  First of all my three fav songs on the album are Till The Dust is Gone, Death of It and Long Ago. Pretty much love the rest of the songs as well. I feel like Scott's voice here is somewhat a continuation of VR. What I liked about Scott from the very beginning going back to Core is that each album whatever project he was involved in you would hear a new voice from him. I felt like that in this AoA album when he does that shreek in Long Ago and Death of It. When I put Blaster next to AoA I think the majority of the time I rather listen to the AoA album. Just rather hear the straight ahead rock sound instead of the garage rock sound from Blaster. As of other people had mentioned in this thread AoA makes me miss VR. But its nice that we know Scott still has that strong rock edge voice. At times it seems like his voice is fading in Blaster but in AoA its strong and straight forward. I know there are some of us out there that wishes Scott didn't dismiss AoA because we know he would rock the hell out of that band. Just a solid rock album altogether. I think some of the songs on here equally match up with songs on the VR albums. This album may not hit the top of the charts also because it's not what's popular right now and maybe not as much advertisement for it but I like to think there are a few timeless songs on here. Made me wonder if Scott did AoA would they just sing the whole album or Scott have the rest of the band play STP and VR songs. I bet they would crush them more than Scott's band! Just really liking the AoA album as a whole!

8)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 22, 2015, 07:31:37 AM »
If you haven't voted for your favorite song yet in the poll please do. It's very close at the moment but 'Get On Down' is leading by one vote! Interested to see which song comes out on top.

http://www.belowempty.com/forum/index.php?topic=10385.0
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: July 09, 2015, 03:37:22 AM »
Thank God AOA included the album lyrics in the booklet, look at this pathetic (and hilarious) attempt by someone at transcribing the lyrics for 'Long Ago'!!

https://www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Art-of-Anarchy/Long-Ago

"I let my boot stomp mine"?! What does that even mean?!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:39:34 AM by CagedTiger »

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: July 09, 2015, 03:24:45 PM »
This album has grown on me immensely, it has way overtaken Blaster in terms of how much I listen to it. Although the songwriting on Blaster is tiptop, the vocals on ArtoA put it to shame.

I think this is possibly the big missed opportunity of Scott's later career. He should have never disavowed it. I can understand he didn't want to tour it right then, but he could have just said nice things about it and then thrown his full weight behind after the Blaster touring cycle is done. It would have definitely sold a lot more albums and concert tickets than Blaster if he had promoted it instead of openly scorning it.

If I were Thal, Moyer or the Votta bros, I would be soooo fucking pissed at putting all this effort in, and then having it torpedoed before it was even released. Gotta feel for those guys, by the looks of it this was the Votta bros big chance, and now it is completely blown.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: July 09, 2015, 05:19:22 PM »
I know what you're saying, but Disturbed seemingly had been recording a new album secretly and are about ready to release it, I think. So not sure how much they were putting into this effort.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: July 09, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »
Agree Pingfah, but I hope the opportunity isn't entirely wasted. Vocals on Art of Anarchy sound good, but who knows if he can pull it off live? Best bet for this project is to find a new singer and tour the hell out of it. Maybe they can convince Scott to continue to participate as a writer in the future.

Blaster features some good songwriting but the arrangements are kind of predictable, and that weakens it's staying power IMO. STP, Soundgarden and others of that era breathed new life into rock in the 90's in part by moving beyond the 70's-style arrangements found on Blaster.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: July 09, 2015, 08:29:03 PM »
Not sure I agree with you Strat, esp Soundgarden, theyre last album sounded like they were tryin to recreate what they did in those early 90s.

Agree with those who say Scott wasted an opportunity by dismissing the project.  I still prefer Blaster, while Scotts vocals at times do sound better on the AOA disc the songs all seem to be dragged out,  I have hard time listening to more than half of the album in one sitting.
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 09, 2015, 08:40:25 PM »
Not sure I agree with you Strat, esp Soundgarden, theyre last album sounded like they were tryin to recreate what they did in those early 90s.

Agree with those who say Scott wasted an opportunity by dismissing the project.  I still prefer Blaster, while Scotts vocals at times do sound better on the AOA disc the songs all seem to be dragged out,  I have hard time listening to more than half of the album in one sitting.

All good, agree to disagree. Not referring at all to recent SG, but to a deviation from the norm. IMO, rock in the 70s/80s became very formulaic and as a result, boring. Verse/chorus, verse/ chorus, guitar solo, verse chorus, 1 2 3 4. Too many I IV V chord progressions. Fine at the time, but eventually overused and lost its impact.

How to make it all new again? Dump the formula, or put a different spin on it. The so- called Grunge movement.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 10, 2015, 12:44:17 AM »
And then Nu metal came along, unfortunately, and thought it would make it all new AGAIN by adding turntables and rapping lol.
I'm not even sure what the current trend in rock is at the moment as I tend to just stick with stuff from the 60's-90's or bands/band members from those era's new music.
I would love for a completely new band of unknowns to come along and completely blow me away the same way those bands in the 90's did but I guess a lot of it is a case of 'right music at the right time for the right listeners' which is something Billy Corgan says a lot now in interviews and gets frustrated about, he feels that people only want to hear the classics and don't give a shit about what he has to say anymore...

Anyway I've gone way off topic there!!
I enjoy this album more than 'Blaster' and I agree with those who say Scott's vocals are much stronger on this too. How much of this is down to production though do you think? There wasn't that much time really between the recording of vocals for both albums, maybe a year at the most?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:45:57 AM by CagedTiger »

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
         I TOO have to put in my two cents on this topic and say I listen to AOA a lot more than the Blaster album. When Blaster came out of course I would listen to it pretty often but eventually it kind of just faded away for me. None of the songs really stuck in my head whenever I wasn't listening to the album like AOA's album. I think AOA's album is completely solid from beginning to end and yes his voice does sound stronger. Like a few of us in here I was a HUGE VR fan and feel like this album was in some way shape or form a continuing process of those last two VR albums. Although I do not know any of the other band members besides Scott I feel the music is great and really compliments Scott's voice. On top of that I had mentioned in a previous log that in a few of his songs (Long Ago, Death of It) he threw out a vocal that I had not heard in any of his previous albums that he has been a part of since '92! I too had wished Scott had decided to go down this AOA road but I guess that is not the case. I sure as hell wouldn't mind if the full lineup of VR got back together to make music. Bottom line is that this AOA album gets me excited about Scott's future of making music and I'm sure we can all agree on that!

8)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: July 12, 2015, 01:34:12 AM »
^^ Completely agree with your post Virgojams.

Art of Anarchy is the type of album I'd HOPED Scott still had in him and it definitely delivers, even if people aren't fans of the 'metal' sound it cannot be denied that this is the best Scott has sounded in years and the melodys and vocals he brought to the table are excellent.
Personally I love this album from start to finish and its been a while since I've been able to say that about an album. The songs get stuck in my head too, great catchy melodies. Some here would probably call me crazy but I'd say this is my favorite Scott album since 'Contraband' 11 years ago. That is in no way undermining 'Libertad', 'Happy in Goloshes', 'Self Titled' or 'Blaster', I enjoy songs on all those albums too but they all have at least 1 or 2 songs I skip (Self Titled I skip about half), this doesn't.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 07, 2015, 04:52:35 AM »
http://www.allmusic.com/album/art-of-anarchy-mw0002842905

3.5 out of 5

Disowned by Scott Weiland months prior to its release -- the vocalist dismissed it as a "side project" on a Facebook post and called it "a scam from the beginning" elsewhere -- Art of Anarchy don't seem to be a tossed-off busman's holiday on their eponymous 2015 debut. Certainly, the record is a heavier affair than Weiland's Blaster album of the same year -- that's only appropriate for a group built on the friendship of Guns N' Roses guitarist Bumblefoot and the Votta brothers, and features the bassist from Disturbed -- but he has a heavy presence on the record, responsible for the melodies and words and giving the grinding, heavy rockers a bit of a psychedelic lift. That fondness for turns of phrase from the Lennon and Bowie songbooks marks this album as the work of Weiland, but it's clear the rest of the band took this project seriously, buckling down to write muscular power ballads and dense post-metallic rockers, songs that seem part throwback to late-'90s post-grunge but have a millennial digital glint. Any listener attracted to Weiland at his heaviest -- a side he often eschews in solo projects, although he dabbled with it in Velvet Revolver -- will find this record a bit of a bracing surprise: perhaps it could've used some of the trashy glam swagger of Blaster, but its heavy swing works so well, all due to the charisma and hooks of its lead singer, it doesn't deserve to be disowned.                 
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.