September 29, 2024, 10:29:56 AM

Author Topic: Art Of Anarchy  (Read 71690 times)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Art Of Anarchy
« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
"Talk" by Daniel Johns is one of my favorite records from this year and you'd be hard pressed to find a person who agrees with me. But I'm not all up in arms that people don't think as highly of that record as I do. No, instead I've been listening to it on repeat, happy that I've found something new to sink my teeth into.

Not to stray, but...

There are a few songs on that record that I dig but overall, I was incredibly disappointed. And as much as I love his past work (all of it), I think that if I unknowingly came across it on the radio, it wouldn't stop me in my tracks from changing the station.

So with that said...legit question.
if it's not Daniel Johns, would you still like that record and/or do you typically enjoy that style?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »
Death of It and The Drift are two very good songs.

The rest falls somewhere between average and cringe worthy.

Just my 2 cents.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2015, 08:55:50 PM »
"Talk" by Daniel Johns is one of my favorite records from this year and you'd be hard pressed to find a person who agrees with me. But I'm not all up in arms that people don't think as highly of that record as I do. No, instead I've been listening to it on repeat, happy that I've found something new to sink my teeth into.

Not to stray, but...

There are a few songs on that record that I dig but overall, I was incredibly disappointed. And as much as I love his past work (all of it), I think that if I unknowingly came across it on the radio, it wouldn't stop me in my tracks from changing the station.

So with that said...legit question.
if it's not Daniel Johns, would you still like that record and/or do you typically enjoy that style?

I've been testing new waters musically, trying to find music with trip hop, electronic, and soul elements, so the fact that Johns made an album in that style was kind of "right time, right place" for me. I've been guilty of checking out music because Weiland was apart of it, but I would've dug "Talk" whether it was Daniel Johns or John Doe.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2015, 09:11:19 PM »
I've been testing new waters musically, trying to find music with trip hop, electronic, and soul elements

Check out the self-titled album "Sweetback" by the main men from Sade. It has all those elements plus some great guest vocals from Amel Larrieux, Leroy Osborne, Maxwell and the awesome Bahamadia. Highly recommended - don't take my word for it, great reviews on Amazon. One of the best "unknown" albums I own and I own a few.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2015, 09:14:46 PM »
Mike Patton has an electronic/r&b outfit called Peeping Tom that I enjoyed a lot.

And for my money, Janelle Monae's sci-fi concept soul/r&b albums are amazing, one of the best things out there.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 03, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »
Finally after all these years of stail rock music we get something that has potential (sincere lyrics, awesome melodies, good punching instrumentation, from our favorite lead singer) and fans still aren't satisfied. Honestly what do you guys want? I'm confused! This is my last post, I'm just a frustrated rock n roll fan.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 03, 2015, 09:31:08 PM »
No one seems to remember that a lot of stp and velvet revolver songs were not difficult.

Could not disagree more. Trying to learn some of Dean's chord progressions gave my hands some of the worst cramps and blisters I've ever had. And much of Slash's soloing is pretty advanced stuff...maybe not the most original in a blues sense, but it's never easy with him. Compare that to the very basic stuff we have here and it's no comparison. I could teach myself this album in a matter of days.

Really?? I mean, I have no idea how good you are on a six stringer but some of these solo's are pretty crazy, could you really learn a solo like the one in 'Grand Applause' in a matter of days?

I haven't listened to the album all the way through, but the stuff Thal can do on a fretless guitar is insane. No way you learn that in a few days.

Yeah there's definitely nothing 'basic' about the guitar solo's on this album. I think they sound a lot more technical than Slash's solo's did on the VR albums. His stuff has got more & more boring since the GNR days though I feel, however I'll always have respect for his playing on classics like 'Estranged', 'Sweet Child O' Mine' etc. How many of the solo's on the 2 VR albums blew you away though?? The only one's that come to mind for me are 'Slither', 'Fall To Pieces', 'Loving The Alien', 'American Man' and 'She Builds Quick Machines'.

Bumblefoot is an amazing guitarist and I'm loving all his solo's on this, from the crazy fretless stuff to the more melodic emotional solo's, there's some face melters here for sure!!
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 03, 2015, 09:50:10 PM »
Mike Patton has an electronic/r&b outfit called Peeping Tom that I enjoyed a lot.

And for my money, Janelle Monae's sci-fi concept soul/r&b albums are amazing, one of the best things out there.

Love Janelle Monae. "The Electric Lady" is one of my favorites of 2013.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 03, 2015, 09:55:50 PM »
sincere lyrics, awesome melodies, good punching instrumentation, from our favorite lead singer

Again, these are all of YOUR opinions. And again, if YOU find this to be the best rock album in years, that's fantastic. I don't.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 03, 2015, 10:04:39 PM »
Did I mention I love the lyrics on this album?? I know Scott likes to tell story's a lot in his lyrics these days which I do enjoy but it's great when he sings more personal stuff too because he sings it with such conviction and you know this guy has really seen the high's and low's that come with being a rock star.

A couple of standouts for me are -

"Why surrender this way? I feel so read just like an open book that no one wants to read, time waits for no one I know and living here up on the highest shelf ain't no place like I'd hoped" - From 'Death of It'.

"Try to live or try to die, I never was one to give up inside, these thoughts go through my mind, yes friends and brothers the time is nigh" - From 'Long Ago'

I transcribed these by ear so may have made the odd mistake but I think that's pretty close! To those who have the CD, are the lyrics included in the booklet?? Some of them are kinda hard to make out, especially on 'Get On Down'.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 10:06:49 PM by CagedTiger »

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:46 PM »
Finally after all these years of stail rock music we get something that has potential (sincere lyrics, awesome melodies, good punching instrumentation, from our favorite lead singer) and fans still aren't satisfied. Honestly what do you guys want? I'm confused! This is my last post, I'm just a frustrated rock n roll fan.
I would like something with catchy rock riffs and no double kick and a groove. Not happening here. It was happening on blaster.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: June 04, 2015, 02:52:49 AM »
 Anyone else think that Scott sounds like Chinese democracy era axl on parts of long ago haha

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: June 04, 2015, 03:05:13 AM »
Anyone else think that Scott sounds like Chinese democracy era axl on parts of long ago haha

Brett I think lol! I believe he said something along those lines in his 'review'!

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: June 04, 2015, 03:15:36 AM »

Brett I think lol! I believe he said something along those lines in his 'review'!
Goddamnit.... Haha. I refuse to click on his links. He wins that way hahaha

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: June 04, 2015, 03:34:17 AM »

Goddamnit.... Haha. I refuse to click on his links. He wins that way hahaha

Haha! You're not missing much. Lately he seems to be more concerned with trolling on his own website and getting laughs than actually writing anything with any professionalism. His half arsed 'review' of this album was no different.