September 29, 2024, 10:27:27 AM

Author Topic: Art Of Anarchy  (Read 71687 times)

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Art Of Anarchy
« Reply #315 on: June 03, 2015, 05:13:23 PM »
No one seems to remember that a lot of stp and velvet revolver songs were not difficult.

Could not disagree more. Trying to learn some of Dean's chord progressions gave my hands some of the worst cramps and blisters I've ever had. And much of Slash's soloing is pretty advanced stuff...maybe not the most original in a blues sense, but it's never easy with him. Compare that to the very basic stuff we have here and it's no comparison. I could teach myself this album in a matter of days.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 03, 2015, 05:26:36 PM »
So far, for me, it's a pretty solid modern rock album. I'm not going to comment on production etc until I have the CD but the drums aren't bothering me really except for a couple of places.

There's not nearly enough swazz in the guitars for me, that's a disappointment. I think Votta has writing chops though, probably more on the mellow side than as a riff guy.

I'd have to rank it down at the bottom of the STP-related collection along with HIG and Contraband. This record has less filler than those 2 (and nothing as execrable as "Fall To Pieces") but it lacks anything stellar such as "Crash" or "Superhuman". I would say it's not near S/T standard (Blaster is the one that kicks that record into touch) and nowhere near Libertad which continues to grow on me.

Still, "Small Batch Whiskey", "Get On Down", "Death Of It" and "Long Ago" are all very, very good imo while the rest are, mostly, decent. Would I buy it if Scott wasn't on there? No, but I can see myself grabbing it off the shelf every now and then and pretty much digging it as a whole. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 05:36:59 PM by Stop That Pigeon »

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 03, 2015, 05:32:19 PM »
I really like time everytime, the drift, and superstar on Scott's end. They all leave something to be desired musically but I can't complain especially since this is the second album from Scott this year and blaster was a masterpiece or should I say a blasterpiece haha...sorry

Tyrant

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 03, 2015, 06:42:02 PM »
I love "Get On Down" and, much to my surprise, like "Time Everytime".
The rest is forgettable and/or awful.
Can we really find
A lovely magic place we dream of?

"Well hell, sometimes it is difficult to take a shower with a broken heart" - Scott Weiland

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 03, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
No one seems to remember that a lot of stp and velvet revolver songs were not difficult.

Could not disagree more. Trying to learn some of Dean's chord progressions gave my hands some of the worst cramps and blisters I've ever had. And much of Slash's soloing is pretty advanced stuff...maybe not the most original in a blues sense, but it's never easy with him. Compare that to the very basic stuff we have here and it's no comparison. I could teach myself this album in a matter of days.

Really?? I mean, I have no idea how good you are on a six stringer but some of these solo's are pretty crazy, could you really learn a solo like the one in 'Grand Applause' in a matter of days?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 06:45:31 PM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 03, 2015, 06:59:09 PM »
Okay I'm gonna throw the question out there... This or 'High Rise'??

For me it's this by a long shot. Even the worst song on here couldn't sink to the depths of shit that 'Black Heart' sunk to. This is my opinion (before the Chester crew virtually jump me!). Please feel free to post yours!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 03, 2015, 07:04:32 PM »
The music on High Rise is miles more interesting and nuanced than a lot of this. The vocals not so much. As a whole package, High Rise is far superior. Rob, Dean and Eric are a class act.

Some of the solos are beyond me on this, but i'd agree otherwise it's simple stuff. Not just that you could learn it easily, I could play most of the riffing back to you after hearing it once. There's no depth to it. There are a few pretty cool bits of soloing though.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 03, 2015, 07:10:47 PM »
Okay I'm gonna throw the question out there... This or 'High Rise'??

For me it's this by a long shot. Even the worst song on here couldn't sink to the depths of shit that 'Black Heart' sunk to. This is my opinion (before the Chester crew virtually jump me!). Please feel free to post yours!
Good question. Blaster blew high rise away but this is closer. I like time everytime and the drift better than anything on high rise but I prefer the musical style of high rise. If Scott sang on high rise it would blow both aoa and high rise away. I give the edge to high rise now but I need to digest aoa more

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:09 PM »
Yeah I can understand people preferring the music on 'High Rise' over the music here, generally speaking I prefer the more classic rock approach of the Deleo's and Kretz myself over 'metal'. I was just comparing them as a full package though, complete songs and AOA has the better songs for me.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2015, 07:32:53 PM »
This is a lot better than High Rise imo. There's definitely a blueprint here - they tick all the boxes in terms of throwing in trad metal flourishes, neo-classical, a little industrial, a little (light) thrash, a little Maiden, a little AIC etc etc.

High Rise, other than on OOT and SOTI, is just rushed and lacking finesse. Even as an EP, it's well short of quality.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2015, 07:48:47 PM »

Really?? I mean, I have no idea how good you are on a six stringer but some of these solo's are pretty crazy, could you really learn a solo like the one in 'Grand Applause' in a matter of days?

I haven't listened to the album all the way through, but the stuff Thal can do on a fretless guitar is insane. No way you learn that in a few days.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2015, 08:01:38 PM »
All of a sudden all the musical virtuosos come out of the woodwork, "uninspired, lame, generic, cheesy" just enjoy the damn music for what it is. Good!

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2015, 08:13:01 PM »
All of a sudden all the musical virtuosos come out of the woodwork, "uninspired, lame, generic, cheesy" just enjoy the damn music for what it is. Good!
Dude the music is not good. Scott is good but that's about it

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2015, 08:18:43 PM »

Don't you see the fruitlessness of this? You are basically telling people to stop not liking something, and like it instead. Just because you like it.

If I told you that Britney Spears is great, and that you are wrong about her, because I say so, would you find that a persuasive argument for listening to Britney Spears? No, of course you wouldn't, so why would you expect it to work when you do it?

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »

Don't you see the fruitlessness of this? You are basically telling people to stop not liking something, and like it instead. Just because you like it.

If I told you that Britney Spears is great, and that you are wrong about her, because I say so, would you find that a persuasive argument for listening to Britney Spears? No, of course you wouldn't, so why would you expect it to work when you do it?

I'm so with you on this one.

"Talk" by Daniel Johns is one of my favorite records from this year and you'd be hard pressed to find a person who agrees with me. But I'm not all up in arms that people don't think as highly of that record as I do. No, instead I've been listening to it on repeat, happy that I've found something new to sink my teeth into.