September 29, 2024, 10:35:37 AM

Author Topic: Art Of Anarchy  (Read 71698 times)

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Art Of Anarchy
« Reply #300 on: June 03, 2015, 02:49:41 PM »
I actually like some metal too though as well as alternative/grunge/rock so I guess that helps.

Interesting to read everyone's opinions on this album all the same.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I asked myself, what OTHER music typically does an STP fan listen to.
I like a lot of different stuff, including heavier music. But, correct me if I'm wrong, the "heavy" doesn't go over well with the most of us folks here, does it?

I personally like everything.  From the heaviest death metal to soft rock lol.  But I think most here aren't like that.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 03, 2015, 02:51:42 PM »
Depends what you mean by heavy. I'm a big old school thrash metal fan, I love Anthrax, Slayer etc. I also like some classic metal like Maiden, and some more modern stuff like Deftones, but only since they stopped rapping... I don't listen to any REALLY heavy music though.

My favourite band of all time is Queen.

My favourite modern artist of the moment is probably Janelle Monae.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 03, 2015, 02:59:04 PM »
You're right. I was pretty vague.
But I'll use the Deftones as a starting point. Love them (but that's another topic)

Though STP came up through the 90's "grunge" (hate that word) movement, they also caught their second wind when bands like Creed, Staind, Incubus, Deftones, etc were at the top (or close) - bands typically lumped in as "nu-metal", if you will. But it seems like most STP-BBers dislike that...hence the negative use of "nu-metal" associated with AoA2
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 03, 2015, 03:05:53 PM »
Yeah, Deftones for me are a band that have changed a lot, and much for the better. There's no way Koi No Yokan could be called Nu Metal, it's almost psychedelic metal, it makes me feel like i'm in space listening to that album. Magnificent. The farther back into their catalogue you go, the less I get out of it. They have become significantly more sophisticated over the last decade.

I don't dislike genres as a rule, there's usually somebody doing good work in any genre, but the bands I think are considered the leading lights of "nu-metal", like Linkin Park and Disturbed I do not like. To me they just took all the work bands like STP and AiC did breaking down the conventions of rock, and put them all back again, keeping only the blandest parts of what came before.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 03, 2015, 03:13:06 PM »
The instrumentation is just as important, as stp and velvet revolver was to Scott. I feel as an artist he was inspired and excited about what he heard and they didn't make it difficult for him to do what he does. So props to the guitarists and drummer and bassist. I'm sure with their skills they could have gone really technical. No one seems to remember that a lot of stp and velvet revolver songs were not difficult.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 03:20:12 PM by artsyblacksmith »

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: June 03, 2015, 03:20:23 PM »
My favourite bands are from the 'Grunge'/'Alternative' genre since I was a teenager in the 90's and I guess it was the right music at the right time for me. Bands like 'Alice In Chains', 'Stone Temple Pilots', 'Smashing Pumpkins', 'Nirvana', 'Pearl Jam' & 'Soundgarden' are still my favourite bands to this day though. I don't think any new music will move me in the same way albums by those artists did and I'm not sure if that's an age thing or if music was simply A LOT better then but I like to think it's the latter ;-)

I was a big MTV kid in the 90's though so while they were playing all my favourite videos from the artists listed above they were also playing some metal so I was introduced to bands like 'Pantera', 'Metallica' & 'Megadeth' and I still listen to that stuff now too. By the time the 'nu metal' stuff came out with rapping and turntables I was in my late teens/early 20's so considered it a bit of a joke compared to everything that came before it. I do like some stuff by Deftones & Incubus though, I think they were the best of that bunch tbh.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 03, 2015, 03:30:10 PM »
Koi No Yokan is a good album. diamond eyes is good too.

CritterTypeThing

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 03, 2015, 04:01:05 PM »
IMO this album is much better than I expected and much better than that video of snippets of each song led on.  It's got some gusto that I haven't really picked up from Scott's voice in a while.  Not sure if I'm expressing my thought with the right wording but it's just got an edge to it.

Scott sounds much different (not gonna say better) than he has dating back to Contraband.  The instrumentation doesn't bug me as much as some others here.  I don't think its anything superb, but I don't think it's crap either.

I think this album has a few songs with potential for better mainstream success than stuff off Blaster or HIG.  Don't mistake that for me saying it's better than.  It's too different and too new to really have such a judgment.  Mainstream success is not always married to quality.  Look at SLDD.

All that said, I do like most of it so far.  In Scott's voice there are several hints from his Velvet Revolver, HIG, and S/T days.  I also get an Alice In Chains vibe on a couple songs I guess from how they multi-track his vocals.

It's a shame he went on record so early to dismiss this project. 
Hold me closer.....closer.....let me go!

My STP Concertology:  6/22/01, 10/26/01, 4/21/02, 4/23/02, 5/18/08, 5/26/08, 5/31/08, 8/6/08, 8/8/08, 8/10/08, 7/17/09, 5/18/10, 9/3/10, 9/4/10, 7/25/11, 7/26/11, 9/10/11, 9/1/12, 5/6/18

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 03, 2015, 04:23:09 PM »
Imagine if this album and Blaster were released in 2002 or 2003?  Back when rock radio was still important and still playing music by these artists?  Weiland would be all over the airwaves.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:11 PM »
I don't think this album is going to grace the Billboard top 200, but it is doing OK at Amazon for an album that has had virtually no press or advertising, and was disowned by its singer before it even came out.

It jumped from somewhere down in the 5000s to 160ish on their best sellers list in a few days.

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 03, 2015, 04:30:42 PM »
I don't think this album is going to grace the Billboard top 200, but it is doing OK at Amazon for an album that has had virtually no press or advertising, and was disowned by its singer before it even came out.

It jumped from somewhere down in the 5000s to 160ish on their best sellers list in a few days.

It's interesting because they have a lot of views on their Youtube videos but I spoke with some other Weiland fans yesterday who don't visit this message board and they had no idea the album came out.  So I think it might sell good overall, but not the first week as I don't think enough people know about it.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 03, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »
It's going to need radio play to get anything really good going, but what record company is going to pay for that when the band doesn't have a frontman? Worse still, when the frontman has publically dissed it.

They won't even publicise fuckin STP albums!

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: June 03, 2015, 04:35:25 PM »
The instrumentation is just as important, as stp and velvet revolver was to Scott. I feel as an artist he was inspired and excited about what he heard and they didn't make it difficult for him to do what he does. So props to the guitarists and drummer and bassist. I'm sure with their skills they could have gone really technical. No one seems to remember that a lot of stp and velvet revolver songs were not difficult.
It's not about difficulty.  That does not go into whether a song is good or not

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 03, 2015, 04:36:50 PM »
Totally. Eddie Vedder can write a mesmerising song with 3 chords, Steve Vai can cram every single chord ever conceived of into one piece of music, play at 100 mph, and it is still shit.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 03, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »
For folks like me who dont have it, spin it here (speed has to be adjusted though) .. enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGkCkoW3p_g
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"