September 29, 2024, 02:26:15 PM

Author Topic: Art Of Anarchy  (Read 71726 times)

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Art Of Anarchy
« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2015, 11:11:21 PM »
Listening now while I wait for my CD order. Have to say, any way you slice it, this could turn out to be a real missed opportunity for Scott. Bizarre circumstances.

Ok, we know he can't pull this stuff off live these days. But, with the funding these guys apparently have, that could have been worked with (and still could). Blaster moves me, on a personal level I'm all for that but there's a career here that needs to be saved imo. What the hell is going on?!

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 03, 2015, 12:08:05 AM »
album is alright, maybe two zingers on it. sounds like Scöttley Crüe

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2015, 12:22:54 AM »
Maybe all the positive reviews here got my hopes up.

Scott sounds good, the music on the other hand is pretty forgettable/generic. This style of drumming doesn't help either (it's awful).
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2015, 01:17:53 AM »
It's pretty cool. Like most on here I agree that the drumming is ridiculous, way too flashy and the double kick is lame. The riffs/guitar playing is solid. Scott was great at times, mediocre at others. But they did a good job making him sound good. Small Batch Whiskey is freaking awesome.

jimmy j

• Ground Personnel
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 03, 2015, 01:50:44 AM »
I've listened to the album twice over now. Took me that long to realize I would not listen to this band if it wasn't for Scott Weiland.

Maybe it will grow on me but the music sounds too hard rock generic. I also prefer Blaster over this.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2015, 02:45:43 AM »
Related albums that I think 'Art of Anarchy' is better than -

Velvet Revolver - 'Libertad' (This album has grown on me over the years but there's definitely some filler on there and I preferred the harder/darker sounds on 'Contraband')
Scott Weiland - 'Happy in Galoshes' (I like some songs on the album, probably about half of it, I have a love/hate relationship with Doug Grean's guitar playing)
Stone Temple Pilots - 'Self Titled' (Dissapointing comeback album, I find it rather boring exceot a few tracks and it doesn't come anywhere close to the first 5 STP albums)
Stone Temple Pilots Featuring Chester - 'High Rise' (musically it takes you on the same boring journey S/T took you on only this time with awful lyrics courtesy of CB)
Scott Weiland & The Wildabouts - 'Blaster' (This one was really tough because I love 'Blaster' but I just feels Scott's vocals and melodys are a lot stronger on 'AOA')

That's just how I feel right now, things could change. I'm sure some people may think I'm crazy but whatever, this album fucking rocks and I haven't felt quite this way when first listening to an SW album since buying 'Contraband' on release day. Obviously it doesn't come remotely close to the greatness of the first 5 STP albums but that goes without saying. I also prefer the Army of Anyone album, I think that's awesome.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:51:27 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2015, 05:04:59 AM »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I have to say, I can't help but feel we have seriously lowered the bar for what we expect from Scott. I can understand that some people have different tastes but some of the comments on here..."best Scott has sounded since Purple!" "Art of Anarchy is better than Libertad and Self-Titled!"....it honestly sounds insane to me. I guess it's just difference of opinion, but I couldn't get through half this album without shutting it off. It sounds like Breaking Benjamin meets Adema. Granted, most of this comparison and my feeling towards the album comes from the music, not Scott, but it completely ruins the songs for me.

One bright spot, I think Black Rain is awesome. No doubt Bumblefoot has skills, they just don't seem on display here.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2015, 05:19:15 AM »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I have to say, I can't help but feel we have seriously lowered the bar for what we expect from Scott. I can understand that some people have different tastes but some of the comments on here..."best Scott has sounded since Purple!" "Art of Anarchy is better than Libertad and Self-Titled!"....it honestly sounds insane to me. I guess it's just difference of opinion, but I couldn't get through half this album without shutting it off. It sounds like Breaking Benjamin meets Adema. Granted, most of this comparison and my feeling towards the album comes from the music, not Scott, but it completely ruins the songs for me.

One bright spot, I think Black Rain is awesome. No doubt Bumblefoot has skills, they just don't seem on display here.

Personally I don't think it's the best he's sounded since 'Purple' but it's definitely the best he's sounded since 'Libertad' in my opinion. As for it being better than 'Self Titled' and 'Libertad', neither of those albums really blew me away. 'Libertad' has grown on me over the years and Scott sounds great on it but there's still songs on there that do nothing for me and I consider 'filler'. S/T just left me feeling underwhelmed when it came out, had really high expectations for it and it didnt deliver the goods, there's about 3 or 4 songs on it I enjoy but I don't really listen to the rest of it. This Art of Anarchy album just clicked with me on the first listen, like 'Contraband' and the first 5 STP albums did, I'm not saying it's up there with those classics but I feel it's a step in the right direction for Scott in terms of his vocals and melody's. I actually like some metal too though as well as alternative/grunge/rock so I guess that helps.

Interesting to read everyone's opinions on this album all the same.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 03, 2015, 05:49:17 AM »
The music is so bad. So bad. Scott managed to make a few listenable and I think he sounds great on the whole record

Lolzeyes

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 03, 2015, 08:56:11 AM »
Awful. The production isn't helping it either. Thin and no punch.

artsyblacksmith

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 03, 2015, 01:39:46 PM »
The music is so bad. So bad. Scott managed to make a few listenable and I think he sounds great on the whole record
Best album I've heard by far, thanks Art of Anarchy. By the way can you guys give some musical recommendations. I'm interested in listening to what you guys consider good. I'm always looking for good music.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 03, 2015, 01:57:29 PM »
Best album I've heard by far, thanks Art of Anarchy. By the way can you guys give some musical recommendations. I'm interested in listening to what you guys consider good. I'm always looking for good music.

Probably Justin Bieber AMIRITE?!? LOL!

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 03, 2015, 02:08:27 PM »
I really like the second half of the album a lot.  My favourite songs are Death Of It, The Drift, Small Batch Whiskey, Long Ago, Get On Down, and Aqualung.  Pretty good album but still like Blaster a lot more.  Not sure where I'd rank this one yet.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2015, 02:22:26 PM »
Bottom of the entire STP pantheon for me.

But that's still pretty good as I like every album anybody from STP has released.

It's hard to make an argument for this as being better than other releases, as the instrumentation just isn't up to it in some cases, whereas I feel it has been exemplary on all other STP & solo releases (possibly except HiG). Scott does a great job here I think, but he's only one part of the equation. He definitely makes this a very listenable album though.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 03, 2015, 02:36:54 PM »
I actually like some metal too though as well as alternative/grunge/rock so I guess that helps.

Interesting to read everyone's opinions on this album all the same.

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I asked myself, what OTHER music typically does an STP fan listen to.
I like a lot of different stuff, including heavier music. But, correct me if I'm wrong, the "heavy" doesn't go over well with the most of us folks here, does it?
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19