September 29, 2024, 12:30:55 AM

Author Topic: Art Of Anarchy  (Read 71639 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Art Of Anarchy
« Reply #450 on: December 19, 2015, 12:38:34 AM »

This is one of those underrated albums that I think will grow a cult following with time and become one of his highest regarded works, it really is a very good record. I would put this album on par with "Contraband," which did very well for VR.

I agree with this. For me it's my favourite Scott album since 'Contraband'. His vocals and melodies are so strong on this album and the rest of the guys are talented players, especially Bumblefoot. I also love Scott's lyrics on this album, especially on songs like 'Death of It', 'Aqualung' and 'Long Ago', for an album that was supposedly 'mailed in' it sounds anything but. Scott wasn't doing anything at the time and had just been kicked out of STP so I think he put more time and effort into the lyrics and vocals on this than he's letting on. The lyrics on 'Death of It' sound like they are referencing his split from STP. I think the only reason Scott dismissed this album and distanced himself from it was because he was promoting and touring 'Blaster' at the time and wanted the focus to remain on that, which is understandable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 12:41:45 AM by CagedTiger »
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 23, 2015, 04:12:53 AM »
Someone was asking about the lyrics before, I have pictures of the booklet that I can share, if that is allowed here on the forum...
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #452 on: December 23, 2015, 12:29:44 PM »
Please do share those pics. I haven't gotten around to scanning that booklet yet.

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 23, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »

This is one of those underrated albums that I think will grow a cult following with time and become one of his highest regarded works, it really is a very good record. I would put this album on par with "Contraband," which did very well for VR.

I agree with this. For me it's my favourite Scott album since 'Contraband'. His vocals and melodies are so strong on this album and the rest of the guys are talented players, especially Bumblefoot. I also love Scott's lyrics on this album, especially on songs like 'Death of It', 'Aqualung' and 'Long Ago', for an album that was supposedly 'mailed in' it sounds anything but. Scott wasn't doing anything at the time and had just been kicked out of STP so I think he put more time and effort into the lyrics and vocals on this than he's letting on. The lyrics on 'Death of It' sound like they are referencing his split from STP. I think the only reason Scott dismissed this album and distanced himself from it was because he was promoting and touring 'Blaster' at the time and wanted the focus to remain on that, which is understandable.

I can't find it anywhere even at Best Buy.  I know there is digital download but not the same for me.  I'm old fashioned when it comes to playing music. Although I haven't heard this album front to back, the songs I have heard are better lyrically and melodically than "Blaster".  He probably knew this album would take off better than "Blaster" so I too can understand why He did what he did to "dismiss" this work but I feel this type of success would have maybe helped him out of the depression he was going through while helping him out of a rut.

8) :-* :(
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Ok, so I took some photos of the booklet so you can read the lyrics. I tried to get the paper glossiness on parts where there are no lyrics but I'm not sure I've succeeded in all of them, so if you can't read some part just let me know and I'll take better photos or type it for you.

http://s18.photobucket.com/user/Manxita/library/AoA

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 23, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »

I can't find it anywhere even at Best Buy.  I know there is digital download but not the same for me.  I'm old fashioned when it comes to playing music. Although I haven't heard this album front to back, the songs I have heard are better lyrically and melodically than "Blaster".  He probably knew this album would take off better than "Blaster" so I too can understand why He did what he did to "dismiss" this work but I feel this type of success would have maybe helped him out of the depression he was going through while helping him out of a rut.

Yeah I'm in the minority of people around here who prefer this album to 'Blaster', the lyrics seem more personal and reflective and I agree that the vocals and melodies are stronger. I still dig 'Blaster' though, the tunes are catchy, I'm just not a huge fan of the 'fuzzy' production.
As for a physical copy of AOA, I ordered mine from Amazon around the time it was released. I haven't seen it in any stores in my area :(
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 23, 2015, 09:14:04 PM »
Also got mine from Amazon. Definitely agree with Caged Tiger about the vocals and melodies, it's given me more of an appreciation of Contraband for sure.

Nice touch with the download, the acoustic Long Ago is very welcome.

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #457 on: December 23, 2015, 10:01:01 PM »
Also got mine from Amazon. Definitely agree with Caged Tiger about the vocals and melodies, it's given me more of an appreciation of Contraband for sure.

Nice touch with the download, the acoustic Long Ago is very welcome.

I don't have that! Can someone point me to an upload of the acoustic track?  Scratch that... found 'em!

Ok, so I took some photos of the booklet so you can read the lyrics.

I saw Manxita's nice efforts for the community here and I thought I'd put some nice scans out there to help out.....

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:35:44 PM by IMJ »
STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
CheSTP Shows: 04/23/2015
JeffTP Shows: 09/26/2019
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007
Scott Weiland Shows: 05/10/2014 | 11/20/2015

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #458 on: December 23, 2015, 10:04:41 PM »

STP Shows: 12/12/1996 | 10/12/2001 | 05/17/2008 | 05/22/2008 | 03/20/2010 | 08/20/2010
Velvet Revolver Shows: 05/19/2004 | 11/21/2004 | 04/29/2005 | 08/13/2005 | 05/10/2007 (w. Slash signed Setlist) | 08/28/2007

IMJ

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Wave1Collectibles
« Reply #459 on: December 23, 2015, 10:06:36 PM »
I hope that helps!

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 23, 2015, 11:03:09 PM »
Thanks IMJ! I unfortunately don't have a scanner so I did my best with my cellphone camera :P
These are so much better, thank you! :)

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #461 on: December 24, 2015, 02:51:39 AM »

Yeah I'm in the minority of people around here who prefer this album to 'Blaster', the lyrics seem more personal and reflective and I agree that the vocals and melodies are stronger. I still dig 'Blaster' though, the tunes are catchy, I'm just not a huge fan of the 'fuzzy' production.
As for a physical copy of AOA, I ordered mine from Amazon around the time it was released. I haven't seen it in any stores in my area :(

AoA's production, and Scott's vocal performance on the album, absolutely blows Blaster away.  Scott's vocals essentially sounds like what he would have done on a third Velvet Revolver album. 

Blaster though has far better lyrics and sounds more inspired (and way less cheesy), but the production on it is awful.  "Amethyst" is one of the top 10 songs Scott did in the last 10 years of his life, and unfortunately Scott's vocals are buried in the mix during parts of the song.  "Modzilla" is the worst example of this.

I'm really glad though that we were able to get 2 more albums from Scott before he died.  I had doubts that he'd record an album again during the Purple at the Core tour (I thought he might die then).  I do think if Scott had actually invested more time into Art of Anarchy (and had a hand in choosing a producer), he could have pulled the band back a bit from their cheesy leanings and potentially made it an album with some radio hits.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 24, 2015, 04:42:30 AM »

AoA's production, and Scott's vocal performance on the album, absolutely blows Blaster away.  Scott's vocals essentially sounds like what he would have done on a third Velvet Revolver album. 

Blaster though has far better lyrics and sounds more inspired (and way less cheesy), but the production on it is awful.  "Amethyst" is one of the top 10 songs Scott did in the last 10 years of his life, and unfortunately Scott's vocals are buried in the mix during parts of the song.  "Modzilla" is the worst example of this.

I'm really glad though that we were able to get 2 more albums from Scott before he died.  I had doubts that he'd record an album again during the Purple at the Core tour (I thought he might die then).  I do think if Scott had actually invested more time into Art of Anarchy (and had a hand in choosing a producer), he could have pulled the band back a bit from their cheesy leanings and potentially made it an album with some radio hits.

I’m gonna have to disagree w/ you on this one.  It’s not really the production I think of but the players.  Scott played w/ STP & VR.  All top notch professional performers.  Even w/ Anarchy you have at least Bumblefoot and Moyer.  In Weildabouts, you have players that are not of that level and you can’t argue that.  Therefore, I feel that is where he was most challenged cuz he had limited music to play w/ compared to the bands before. STP/VR  out rank and are more talented to create what Scott needs to be his level of songwriting he is accustomed to.  So meaning, lyrically, you are looking at generic simplistic melody and words that fill space.  It’s like when you hear the song, it really doesn’t take you anywhere like a sense of just being.  When you listen to his other work, it’s like you’re in the words you feel the depth and heaviness.  I’m also comparing “Blaster” lyrics to ALL his work.  Like it’s a good call to say the Anarchy lyrics are ‘personal and reflective’  Saying it that way does represent that depth I speak of and why I say his lyrics to Anarchy vs Blaster is better.

So let’s say we make this a “double album” .  The only song that really sticks in my mind is “Til the Dust is Gone” and to me that means I would grab and listen to Anarchy more than I would want to listen to “Blaster”.  I do come from a Metal background also so I will lean more towards Anarchy anyway.  The cheesiness is probably the fact that they do have a leftover hair metal band look & you have Scott in a hat & scarves, what?!   I will agree to the VR third album sound.

My personal favorite look of Scott was Tiny Music time period btw.  I think that was the last time I saw him look natural.

And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Drew06

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 24, 2015, 05:35:34 AM »
This is such a weird album to me at least. Every song is either great or terrible, no in between. I think Death Of It, The Drift, Aqualung and Long Ago are some of the best songs Scott has done since Libertad. While the rest of the tracks I find somewhat cringe worthy to listen to.

Blaster I can listen to straight through, it's more of a steady/consistent album. But I do not find any tracks on there as good as the AOA tracks I listed.

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 24, 2015, 05:14:31 PM »
I just bought this album off ebay last week as it was no longer being offered as an MP3 album for purchase. Some cool Scott moments on this album, however, I still greatly prefer his STP and solo work to this album.
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.