September 24, 2024, 06:13:51 AM

Author Topic: Studio Version Of Scott Weiland's "Modzilla"  (Read 5842 times)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Studio Version Of Scott Weiland's "Modzilla"
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »
Liking Modzilla better than WL after one listen
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 06:52:42 PM »
Both songs seem to have good riffs, production and performances, but average choruses, and are missing the famous Weiland middle eight entirely.

Weird, right? I think if you told most of us that after the first two "singles" we would be more blown away by the music and production than Weiland's input we would have given you a piss test.

This seems to be the new reality though. Not that Scott has been bad, but the rest of the band has really come out swinging, and as collateral damage Scott's bits have sounded a bit ho-hum in comparison. He does sound refreshed and inspired, and I like what I've heard thus far, so I'm more than eager to hear the rest.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »
I like it.

After hearing that initial bit a few weeks ago, the rest of the song certainly didn't disappoint. With this & 'White Lightning' both out there (along with the live footage), I'm even more hyped about 'Blaster'.  The Wildabouts sound good so far, and judging from these two songs, it seems like everything Scott has been saying about the album is true.

Although... maybe it's just me, but since Jack White/White Stripes this "style" (IDK what to call it) of modern garage rock has been the trend for a while now. Wonder how much more (if any) of that will influence the album.

"Hey there... how's your steak?"

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 09:07:50 PM »
I dig the riff.  And the song as a whole.  I like it better the Lightning.  Suppose the chorus could be stronger but I wasn't disappointed.  I also like how they've rolled things out.  The Scott video, WL single, now Modzilla with a little video, the Pledge music stuff was a fun surprise.  Paintballing?  Megaphones, super cool.  Handwritten lyrics, super cool.  Sound check option, super cool.   I like how he's trying to do this right and give fans some access.

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 01:38:58 AM »
Can anybody understand the lyrics? I'd love to know what the song says, but since English is not my primary language I'm not sure if I understand it correctly...
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 12:47:17 AM »
Like the song. Love the video. Don't like how they processed Scott's vocals. Sounds like they put a bandpass filter on the vocal track and just left it on for the whole song. I'm sure this was an "artistic" decision, but it just doesn't work at all. To me, this is a much bigger production fuck-up than anything off S/T or High Rise.

CoreurpletinyNo4ShangriY

• I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES! I TOLD YOU 5 OR 4 TIMES!
  • Pilot
  • I know the questions but I lost the answers
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2015, 01:37:04 AM »
I am not a fan of Modzilla. The song as a whole seems very bland to say the least. Nothing that stands out. White Lightning and all of the other released songs are amazing however. I think Modzilla will be a good radio song like Between the Lines was (I didn't like Between the Lines much either).
STP Shows: 9/5/10 - 7/26/11 - 8/6/11 - 9/10/11 - 8/24/12
STP with Chester: 9/6/13 - 4/25/15
Weiland Shows: 11/28/12 - 3/12/13 - 8/14/13 - 9/14/14
- 3/10/15 - 11/28/15

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2015, 04:51:30 PM »
Can anybody understand the lyrics? I'd love to know what the song says, but since English is not my primary language I'm not sure if I understand it correctly...

English is the only language I speak and I can't understand much at all either.  Between the guitar and the distorted vocals, it's really hard to decipher. 
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2015, 07:46:18 PM »

English is the only language I speak and I can't understand much at all either.  Between the guitar and the distorted vocals, it's really hard to decipher. 

I  think I can get a few lines out of the chorus - "....I ain't goin no place where I don't belong"  "....cussin' like a Rolling Stone" ??

The verses are word soup of the thickest chowder. I don't think I'll ever decipher what's going on there short of official lyrics coming out.

"[something something something] like I know a man's man" ??
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »

Dude. Is it just me, or have you been off the map for a long time? Feel like I haven't seen you in a long time. Either way, welcome back lol.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2015, 08:46:54 PM »

Dude. Is it just me, or have you been off the map for a long time? Feel like I haven't seen you in a long time. Either way, welcome back lol.

Hey man!  I still browse these forums, but since we haven't gotten anything new from either Scott nor STP w/ Chester for over a year, I haven't been making too many comments.  But now that we have some new tunes coming our way I'm back baby!
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Purple

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 03:33:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_q8vK8ywco
Here's a clip of it being performed at Sundance
May 17th 2008
July 8th 2009
August 25th 2010
July 19th 2011