September 24, 2024, 06:23:04 AM

Author Topic: White Lightning  (Read 7028 times)

Blueberry

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: White Lightning
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »
I totally dig it.

Can't wait for the album to drop!  Toot!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 07:53:09 PM »
I like it. It's not the most inventive song ever but it has a good sound, and damn it's just good to hear him.

I'm not sure the comparisons to High Rise are too helpful as nothing Scott has done solo has ever sounded anything like STP, but by comparison to most of Happy in Galoshes this is very good.

coo2

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 07:58:21 PM »
Has anyone had any luck finding the album on iTunes from Pre-Order and a download of the new single? Thought it was to be up and running on both Pledge Music and iTunes, today.

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:35 PM »
Has anyone had any luck finding the album on iTunes from Pre-Order and a download of the new single? Thought it was to be up and running on both Pledge Music and iTunes, today.

Not yet, but it's available for preorder (digital) on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Blaster-Wildabouts-Scott-Weiland/dp/B00S68S06E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421170125&sr=8-1&keywords=scott+weiland+blaster
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2015, 10:26:54 PM »
K, thanks b/c Scotts feed has zero tweets, if its even his

yeah right? he wouldnt know how to use twitter or any social media thing if it smacked him in the face and gave him a million dollars
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2015, 12:48:19 AM »
It's still strange for me to hear Scott singing over a heavy tune with it not having the signature Deleo sound to it.  I will say though, that whereas I wasn't so excited about "Modzilla", I did dig this track.  It's probably as heavy of a tune as "Dead and Bloated" and with the recording being a little more raw it's got a great vibe to it.  I know in the past I've indicated I think the Wildabouts are lame but after hearing this I am actually looking forward to his album and I might even try to go see them live and buy a cd.  I also know I talk on this site a lot about how I feel Weiland has let his voice go, and how disappointed I was each of the 5 times I saw him sing live with STP from 08-12.  I will admit though, he actually sounds pretty good in this track.  I'm happy to be saying that!

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:58 AM »
It's still strange for me to hear Scott singing over a heavy tune with it not having the signature Deleo sound to it. 

Surely VR had some pretty heavy tunes.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2015, 01:13:23 AM »
It's still strange for me to hear Scott singing over a heavy tune with it not having the signature Deleo sound to it. 

Surely VR had some pretty heavy tunes.

You're right, but they had a different vibe about them to me that I don't think of as heavy per say.  They had what I can best describe as a runaway train feel to a lot of their music.  VR had a lot of steady faster paced stuff.  STP heavy got pretty slow and grindy like "Meatplow", "Pruno", "Dead and Bloated" etc...

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2015, 03:10:41 AM »
Im with Tyrant on this one, 'White Lightning' is good but  its not as good as the first 3 tracks of STPw/C, also 'The Way She Moves' and "Beach Pop Rock" are better tracks than 'While L.." IMO
I'd agree with that.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 09:24:43 AM »
Honestly, I like this track better than Modzilla. As a guitar player, though, that riff in Modzilla is pretty righteous. Modzilla just goes flat for me in the chorus. This song has some attitude in it.

Black Heart is probably about as good as this song. Tomorrow, though, to me, is a classic STP song. I think people are letting Chester blind them on that one. Yeah, his voice is a bit whiny on it, but he sounds great on the track for the most part.

Anyway, I am pleasantly surprised at the two songs so far. I really thought, after the Christmas album and then the awful performances a couple years ago that this album was going to be cringe-inducing.

Scott may not have the cache that "STP" or "Velvet Revolver" does, but this stuff is pretty good.

The one *bad* thing here, and this is me LOOKING for something to criticize, since I think the song sounds great, is that it seems Scott has gone back to a lot of vocal layering. A single, solid, main vocal take is not easy, but it usually sounds so much better than a bunch of layered takes. Just my opinion, FWIW.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:27:33 AM by lovemachine97 »

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2015, 04:48:11 PM »
The one *bad* thing here, and this is me LOOKING for something to criticize, since I think the song sounds great, is that it seems Scott has gone back to a lot of vocal layering. A single, solid, main vocal take is not easy, but it usually sounds so much better than a bunch of layered takes. Just my opinion, FWIW.

I agree, but would you say it's something he's "gone back to" though? Feel like this has been the trend with him.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2015, 06:41:17 PM »

I agree, but would you say it's something he's "gone back to" though? Feel like this has been the trend with him.

I think so. He did a lot of it on the first VR record. A lot of songs on Happy in Galoshes don't have tons of layering in the verses. He got away from it on Libertad. He also got away from it on self-titled. True, sometimes he goes overboard in the choruses. I guess I am just talking about the main vocal in the verses.

Maybe he has stayed away from it here and White Lightning is an exception. He just sounds so much better when he doesn't double the main vocal in the verses. And it sounds like here he has another vocal take an octave lower too.

We'll see when it all comes out.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2015, 07:58:09 PM »
Hmm...when I think of S/T and the vocal production all I can think about is the abomination that was the Huckleberry Crumble layering. The isolated vocal track from that stem site or whatever it was that got posted here years back almost sounded not human.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

IdahoSTPfan

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/blaster/id957686568

ITunes link to pre-order the album right here!  You can purchase "White Lightning" as well

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2015, 08:43:31 PM »
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/blaster/id957686568

ITunes link to pre-order the album right here!  You can purchase "White Lightning" as well

Thanks for posting the link.  I was hoping for a digital booklet or a bonus track.....
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.