September 17, 2024, 08:18:39 PM

Author Topic: How does Dean do this?  (Read 4400 times)

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
How does Dean do this?
« on: November 12, 2014, 01:55:49 AM »
Does anyone know what the hell Dean does to make that one noise sequence which repeats throughout the verses in "Coma"?  I tried watching a few live versions and still don't have a clue how he's recreating that sound live.  I am totally stumped.  So stumped in fact that the only thing I can think of is maybe that's some kind of sound which is programmed as a sample onto some kind of electric drum trigger pad that Eric is hitting as part of the beat?

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
Re: How does Dean do this?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 02:28:51 AM »
I read somewhere, I don't remember where, that it was Scott's voice put through some editing.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:00:51 AM »
Does anyone know what the hell Dean does to make that one noise sequence which repeats throughout the verses in "Coma"?  I tried watching a few live versions and still don't have a clue how he's recreating that sound live.  I am totally stumped.  So stumped in fact that the only thing I can think of is maybe that's some kind of sound which is programmed as a sample onto some kind of electric drum trigger pad that Eric is hitting as part of the beat?

That is, in fact, exactly how they do it live. Kretz has a electronic trigger next to his kit for Coma and Lounge Fly.

As far as the album, I believe what Jbattista said is true, it's Scott's voice heavily modified.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 05:19:17 AM »
Thanks guys!  That always puzzled me!  I recently started an STP tribute band and I've been pushing to add "Coma" to our set list but we just couldn't figure out how they did it.  The guitar player and I watched Rolling Rock 2.0 over and over and we noticed that there were shots of Dean doing something while that noise was heard, so we figured it was some kind of guitar effect but we were totally stumped as to how or what.  I told him at one point that if it was me, I'd have that noise as a sample on some kind of sampler.  My drummer doesn't have any triggers but I could probably pull it off by making a sample of that part and loading it to a Boss Loop Station.