September 24, 2024, 04:22:32 AM

Author Topic: Scott Interview - 91X (Video)  (Read 8800 times)

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Interview - 91X (Video)
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2014, 07:15:58 AM »
Eric is an absolutely brilliant drummer, a master of groove, musicality, and nuance. There is no one I'd rather have behind the kit, especially with the DeLeos filling the strings section. Eric is like the third DeLeo brother.

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2014, 07:26:58 AM »

The Slash vs. Dean debate is a good one. Slash is MUCH faster. He just shreds and Dean can't shred at that speed on that level.

Dean CAN shred at that speed, at that level, but its a much different style. Slash fucks his guitar. Dean makes Love to his.

WearingMyPeacoat9

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »

The Slash vs. Dean debate is a good one. Slash is MUCH faster. He just shreds and Dean can't shred at that speed on that level.

Dean CAN shred at that speed, at that level, but its a much different style. Slash fucks his guitar. Dean makes Love to his.

Lol nice!  I think that's true for the most part... but Slash can make love to his guitar (ex: November Rain), and Dean can get raunchy (Down).

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »

Hahah YES. That is the perfect analogy. And there's nothing wrong with fucking.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 03:05:08 AM »
That was a cool interview, wish it was longer...I loved seeing Scott talk about David Bowie and the whole early 90s alt rock/grunge movement with so much passion in his voice. Really excited for the new album too...I did roll my eyes a little bit when he said it was the most excited he's been since Core though
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2014, 05:48:29 AM »
The best part is, he can never be wrong because it's entirely subjective. In certain ways, Slash is a better guitarist than Dean. In other ways, Dean completely blows him out of the water. I'm sure there are even certain ways Danny is better than Kretz. It's probably one of 100 different ways one drummer can be superior to another, but I'm sure it's there.

Anyway, bring on the album. I'm ready.

The Slash vs. Dean debate is a good one. Slash is MUCH faster. He just shreds and Dean can't shred at that speed on that level. But Dean is the most tasteful guitar player I have ever heard in my life. He puts little nuances and snippets here and there that are just magical touches. He plays to the song. Slash is sloppy and all over the place. Both are good in different ways, but my taste prefers Dean because he just always instinctively knows what to play at the perfect moment. That's a real gift that few guitar players have. He feels music in a way that few do, always play interesting chords. He's the closest thing we've had to Jimmy Page. Slash is a different animal, but the shredders out there worship him. Rightfully so. I think Dean's style is much better for songwriting.

The Danny vs. Kretz debate, on the other hand, is stupid. That's like comparing Scott Stapp to Robert Plant. One is a marquee icon, one sucks. And I'll give you a hint, Kretz doesn't suck. There is zero comparison between Kretz and this guy. He's a fine drummer. At times he's annoying, other he's fine. He's just "a guy" hired to play in Scott Weiland's solo band. Kretz has a unique style that set a trend. There is zero comparison possible. I'm sorry.

I don't think I've ever met a shredder that loves Slash lol. They think he's "okay".  I probably wouldn't even put Slash in that category.. I think the reason why he got so much praise from all the Legends back then was because he decided to take everything they did, and somehow gave it a voice, while the rest of those guys around his time were trying to be the best shredders possible, or attempting to be better than Eddie Van Halen.
Dean reminds me of Jimmy Page and Jeff Beck,  while Slash reminds me of Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. That's the best way I can put it lol
If you only knew..