October 01, 2024, 11:11:12 PM

Author Topic: Purple 20th Anniversary  (Read 11689 times)

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Purple 20th Anniversary
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2014, 07:31:50 AM »
Scott's tour kicks off next month, so I'd assume it'd be sometime in the next few weeks, but they definitely seemed interested.  Not going to count my chickens until they hatch though, as we all know with Scott!  So like I said I'll believe it when I'm talking to him.

The set up would be Purple track by track then I'd ask some questions about the new album.  I'd also try to let him know that fans have been really happy with the shows this year compared to last year, and that people have liked hearing new material live.  I wouldn't pry too deep about the STP drama because we already know a lot about it and both of their stances, and any addiction related talk I'm sure would get me hung up on.  I'll let Howard Stern get to the bottom of that one.

so are you gonna say all the stuff to him directly that you have been saying online? you know making fun of everything he does whether it be his band name or an off performance? or are you just gonna kiss his ass the whole time? im guessing you'll just kiss his ass.

If Scott asked for my opinion regarding last year's shows, I would tell him that I didn't think they were good based on videos I saw and the numerous reviews I was sent especially based on his reputation as a great live performer, so yes I would.  But an interview isn't about me ranting about my views, it's about the interview subject, so if I get to talk to Scott I'll ask him about what the fans want to hear about.  Also the majority of the Whataboutbobabouts joke names I've posted on AN, I took from here.  The whole joke started when Scott called them the Rockabouts.  Me posting a picture of Scott with oompa loompas is a goddamn joke.  Loosen up.

The bottom line is the shows are better this year, most of what we were unhappy with on here last year has been corrected (Scott singing off key, shows starting late, the band playing crappy arrangements, Doug Grean's noodling), so I'd see no point in digging up last year's tour unless Scott is inclined to talk about it.

for some reason i thought you mentioned last year that if you got the chance you were gonna tell scott that fans were worried about him and to clean up his act and stuff even if it meant getting hung up on. does that ring a bell?? because i swear im not imagining it. i just remember someone called you a twat over it haha super vague i know i was just interested to see if you would stick to your guns

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2014, 07:34:02 AM »
Scott's tour kicks off next month, so I'd assume it'd be sometime in the next few weeks, but they definitely seemed interested.  Not going to count my chickens until they hatch though, as we all know with Scott!  So like I said I'll believe it when I'm talking to him.

The set up would be Purple track by track then I'd ask some questions about the new album.  I'd also try to let him know that fans have been really happy with the shows this year compared to last year, and that people have liked hearing new material live.  I wouldn't pry too deep about the STP drama because we already know a lot about it and both of their stances, and any addiction related talk I'm sure would get me hung up on.  I'll let Howard Stern get to the bottom of that one.

so are you gonna say all the stuff to him directly that you have been saying online? you know making fun of everything he does whether it be his band name or an off performance? or are you just gonna kiss his ass the whole time? im guessing you'll just kiss his ass.

If Scott asked for my opinion regarding last year's shows, I would tell him that I didn't think they were good based on videos I saw and the numerous reviews I was sent especially based on his reputation as a great live performer, so yes I would.  But an interview isn't about me ranting about my views, it's about the interview subject, so if I get to talk to Scott I'll ask him about what the fans want to hear about.  Also the majority of the Whataboutbobabouts joke names I've posted on AN, I took from here.  The whole joke started when Scott called them the Rockabouts.  Me posting a picture of Scott with oompa loompas is a goddamn joke.  Loosen up.

The bottom line is the shows are better this year, most of what we were unhappy with on here last year has been corrected (Scott singing off key, shows starting late, the band playing crappy arrangements, Doug Grean's noodling), so I'd see no point in digging up last year's tour unless Scott is inclined to talk about it.

for some reason i thought you mentioned last year that if you got the chance you were gonna tell scott that fans were worried about him and to clean up his act and stuff even if it meant getting hung up on. does that ring a bell?? because i swear im not imagining it. i just remember someone called you a twat over it haha super vague i know i was just interested to see if you would stick to your guns

Yep, if I'd have done the interview in 2013 and Purple at the Core was the focus of the discussion, I would have voiced concerns that many fans had.  Scott seems to have rectified many issues with his live show, and while I don't know what's up with his personal life his performances have been strong and he's sounded good in recent interviews.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2014, 07:36:50 AM »
Also to be honest I did not seek out an interview with Scott in 2013, because I didn't feel like doing an interview with any negativity.

Anyways, this will all be moot if it falls through or he no shows.  So we'll just have to see what happens!  Hoping for the best!

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2014, 02:10:12 AM »
So I think there actually ARE things they could release. Not to mention they could release stuff that the four guys played on in the Mighty Joe Young days. They could include MTV Unplugged audio in the quality that Crackerman and Andy Warhol were released on the Vasoline single. They have footage.

Plus, Soundgarden released a lot of demo and early versions of songs from Superunknown, as well as rehearsals. I would love that stuff, and I am sure it all exists.

They obviously have lots of home video footage of the Tiny Music sessions, as well as the SLDD sessions. I'd bet there is some for Purple and Core too, as we saw on the Thank You DVD.

Doubtful. There are no outakes from the Purple sessions. The band recorded exactly eleven songs. Brendan O'Brien kept asking them to come up with a 12th, that's why "My Second Album" was added as joke.

As far as demoes, let's not forget STP's recording process. With very rare exception, Scott would write the melody and the lyrics after the instrumentals were being laid down in studio. Doubtless there are demo versions of the songs from Purple, as well as some different early song ideas from that era, but they are very likely rough instrumentals with no lyrics or melody.

There are, however, a couple b-sides... But those were both taken from MTV Unplugged.

That was always the story, that they never had b-sides, but then I remember reading something about Hollywood Bitch being around since Purple. I found at least one of the interviews where that is revealed.

The blueprint in place, Stone Temple Pilots began recording in earnest, drawing from over 30 new songs. While many of the songs were born during the sessions, others originally came to life at various stages in the band's career. DD: There's a lot of songs that have been kicking around for a long time. "Hollywood Bitch," that's been around since the "PURPLE" sessions. There was also a very bastardized version of "Hello It's Late" that sounded nothing like it does now. All that remains is the chord structures. It was a little more guitar oriented, as opposed to Robert replaying the song on a Rhodes. It really took on its own life as Robert transposed it onto piano. Then there's stuff like "Bi-polar Bear," I've had that thing in my pocket for four or five years. (http://www.fantasymusicleague.com/code/artist.php?artist=Stone+Temple+Pilots)

In the self-titled era, it was revealed that Dare If You Dare was from Talk Show. We also had a few b-sides released through this website. Heed the Water Whisperer is a good example of what is likely not a finished piece of music. Scott also did VR demos with Doug Grean before Contraband.

It might be possible that literally nothing made it to tape during Purple than what was released, but I still doubt that this is the case. I would be interested in anything.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2014, 03:16:48 AM »
That would be fantastic if you got the Scott interview, Brett. I know you would ask good questions and it would make for an interesting read for us fans. Best of luck!

StoneTempleBrett

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2014, 02:28:11 AM »
Update: Scott's publicist told me that Scott has been in the process of moving in the last few weeks just ahead of the tour.  He said he'll be getting Scott to do phoners on tour, hopefully in the next few weeks, so fingers crossed!