October 01, 2024, 11:31:24 PM

Author Topic: Personal High Rise song ranking  (Read 10778 times)

NoWayOut87

Re: Personal High Rise song ranking
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 04:26:05 AM »
This entire EP is a joke. Chester tries so hard to sound like Weiland it's pathetic and his lyrics were just trash.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 06:34:13 PM »
I agree with Steak's perspective on Scott's lyrics, but I disagree that this is some kind of "new low". Chester just has a slightly different approach, but his lyrics are still very good, if a bit more "mainsteam" than Scott's.

Find me some less-inspired lyrics on High Rise than this:

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me

With ALL the songs that Scott has written, some are bound to be simple.  The difference is, not all of Scott's songs are like this (where the majority of Chester's on the EP are).  Scott can write a simple, pop hit like 'Cinnamon', but also has the versatility to write a more complex song if the music calls for it. 

I'm only saying this is a new "low" for STP because for me personally, the music itself isn't too deep across the 5 tracks, and the lyrics are just very plain.  With that said, I do like Chester, and it's nothing against his writing style, but since the band insists on masquerading as "STP", then comparing these new songs to the complexity of the older songs is fair.
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

HelloItsLate

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2013, 10:38:14 PM »
I agree with Steak's perspective on Scott's lyrics, but I disagree that this is some kind of "new low". Chester just has a slightly different approach, but his lyrics are still very good, if a bit more "mainsteam" than Scott's.

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me

With ALL the songs that Scott has written, some are bound to be simple.  The difference is, not all of Scott's songs are like this (where the majority of Chester's on the EP are).  Scott can write a simple, pop hit like 'Cinnamon', but also has the versatility to write a more complex song if the music calls for it. 

I'm only saying this is a new "low" for STP because for me personally, the music itself isn't too deep across the 5 tracks, and the lyrics are just very plain.  With that said, I do like Chester, and it's nothing against his writing style, but since the band insists on masquerading as "STP", then comparing these new songs to the complexity of the older songs is fair.
Yeah, it’s totally fair to compare the range of complexity in a 5-song EP -- created over a few months -- to the range of complexity in six albums -- created over about 20 years.

STEAK

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2013, 10:57:01 PM »

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me

Yeah, it’s totally fair to compare the range of complexity in a 5-song EP -- created over a few months -- to the range of complexity in six albums -- created over about 20 years.

Nobody told the DeLeo's to rush out this EP (well, maybe their lawyers)...

EVERY release by any band will be compared to their previous material.  Unfortunately for these guys, the comparison isn't positive.  They could have released 5 very different songs... a pop song, a ballad, an acoustic style song, something uncharacteristic, or at the very least, some variety...  But no, they all had the same feel (likely to being rushed, and the DeLeo's poor production). 
"Hey there... how's your steak?"

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »

Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now
Yeah come on come on now

Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me
Here me can you hear me

My opinion about the lyrical debate is that Weiland wrote about a wide variety of things over the past twenty years that weren't all the run of the mill "I'm dead inside" teenage angst thing, which is the vibe that I get from Chester on the EP. I've only heard a few Linkin Park songs, and they seemed to have the typical rock lyrics. And I realize that's a huge generalization on my part considering I haven't heard everything Chester's written. I just think that Weiland found other ways to convey similar feelings without saying them outright, rather using metaphors. I just can't relate to the self deprecating lyrics like I could when I was in my teens. The whole thing just feels very rock radio to me.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 04:46:56 AM »

My point is that High Rise is NOT a lyrical low point for the band. Not saying Cinnamon is a bad song, just that it's weaker lyrically than anything on High Rise.

i gotta disagree, just because the chorus isnt crazy complex doesnt mean the whole song is a lyrical low point. the verses and prechoruses paint a picture and can really draw you into Scott's feelings. i like high rise but only Out Of Time and Tomorrow draw me in lyrically

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 04:35:43 PM »
My opinion about the lyrical debate is that Weiland wrote about a wide variety of things over the past twenty years that weren't all the run of the mill "I'm dead inside" teenage angst thing, which is the vibe that I get from Chester on the EP. I've only heard a few Linkin Park songs, and they seemed to have the typical rock lyrics. And I realize that's a huge generalization on my part considering I haven't heard everything Chester's written. I just think that Weiland found other ways to convey similar feelings without saying them outright, rather using metaphors. I just can't relate to the self deprecating lyrics like I could when I was in my teens. The whole thing just feels very rock radio to me.

Thank you for saying what I haven't had the patience to put together myself. I've typed out several posts like this one but then just got frustrated and ended up deleting them because they didn't convey my thoughts how I wanted them to. This sums it up perfectly though. Weiland's lyrics may not make sense all the time, but that's the beauty of them. They're metaphorical and enigmatic, they keep you guessing.

I related perfectly to Chester's lyrics growing up. Hybrid Theory and Meteora came out when I was between the ages 12 and 15. They're so specific to one type of feeling and emotion. Maybe that's why now, I prefer Weiland's lyrics. They're intentionally vague and ambiguous so you can apply them to just about whatever you're going through in life. I really have to be in a specific mood to listen to Chester.

This is just my opinion though. You don't have to be an adolescent to appreciate and relate to Chester's lyrics. That's just the time in my life I connected with them the most, and associate them with when I hear them today.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
Honestly, I never connect with any lyrics. I could hardly tell you what a single favourite song of mine is about. I know a lot of Scott's lyrics to sing along to, but I get so wrapped up in the vocal melody, the flow of the words, and the music that I don't even notice what songs are actually about.

Scott was such a master of vocal timbre, melody and the actual metre of the words, there's sooo much going on before you even get to his lyrics, I never get that far!! I like Chester well enough, but I'm not kidding myself he's ever going to achieve the sort of style Weiland had.

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 06:21:31 PM »
100% agreed with evrything you said Ping' .. and t/smartest thing Fred Durst ever said was "Scott Weil' the melody man, if he cant sing it nobody can" ;)
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"