September 19, 2024, 11:58:15 PM

Author Topic: High Rise has leaked (aka my review)!  (Read 6346 times)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
High Rise has leaked (aka my review)!
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »
For a band that released its first album, Core, nearly 21 years ago to the day, it might otherwise be a tad optimistic for Stone Temple Pilots to close their new EP, High Rise, with a song titled "Tomorrow." Then again, this isn't the Stone Temple Pilots of your youth; it's a more youthful Stone Temple Pilots. In case there is someone who hasn't heard, Scott Weiland is out and Chester Bennington (Linkin Park) is in. This isn't the first time Bennington has contributed vocals to an STP track (he sang backup on a live version of "Wonderful," from the Family Values 2001 Tour companion album), but this is his first release of original material as the new lead singer of Stone Temple Pilots.

Like many of those who will purchase High Rise, Chester Bennington grew up a fan. Where his contributions, then, could have easily come off like a tribute to the band's legacy, this release (as an EP, it is only a taste of what is promised to come) is not only befitting of the band's legendary catalog, but the promise in the title of its closer will leave fans craving more.

The five tracks zip along--not one song rolls over to four minutes--and one can actually hear the progression as the songwriting becomes more cohesive by the end. "Out of Time," the first single, charms with repeated plays, but feels disjointed, as if the new incarnation of the band was trying to figure itself out. Instrumentally, it is vintage STP, so it’s jarring when Chester’s tenor blares out of the speakers, not Scott Weiland’s rich baritone. Whereas the rest of the album sounds like a band that has spent time collaborating, “Out of Time” comes across more like an existing piece of music that was handed to Bennington, who went right to his vocal comfort zone. Still, there are magical moments, such as the song’s pre-chorus, where Dean DeLeo’s descending guitar line is buoyed by his brother Robert’s freight train of a bass, which itself, as usual, is dragging drummer Eric Kretz along. Bennington’s vocals are melodic and understated in this fleeting moment--a hint of what is to come.

“Black Heart,” the EP’s second single, oozes the musical swagger that STP fans have become accustomed to. Kretz is the real star here, as his driving, pulsating thump takes this song from start to finish. The countrified riff recalls Columbia-era Aerosmith by way of The Knack, and Bennington’s vocal slithers around it in a way that will satisfy Scott Weiland fans, but still sounds new (despite a nod to The Beatles' "Get Back"). Where “Out of Time” is probably closer to what people might have expected with this collaboration, the band sounds as cohesive as ever here.

The standout track, though, is the album closer, “Tomorrow.” STP has always been a band greater than the sum of its parts, where each member’s talents fit beautifully together, like gears in a machine. The  interplay between Dean’s guitar and Robert’s bass is what is on display here. Like much of classic STP, if the two instruments were heard independently, it would seem as if they were playing different tunes, almost fighting each other, as brothers do. But the two are intrinsically and inextricably linked--two parts of a whole that together form perhaps the most fierce guitar and bass partnership of the last 20 years. Bennington tells us that tomorrow “seems so far away,” but the same could be said for “Out of Time,” which seems childish—so long ago—in comparison.

When Bennington sings “Do you know the answers?/Tell me how to find my/Happy ending,” in “Same on the Inside,” he sounds like a surrogate for the original members of STP. After years of heartache and a dramatic decline in the capabilities of Scott Weiland (whose demons continue to torture him) STP might have just found its answer. Bennington sounds more at home with the DeLeo brothers than Richard Patrick did in Army of Anyone, and his sense of melody is beautifully interwoven over the course of most of the EP.

Will this be STP's happy ending? I suppose we'll find out...tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:09:59 PM by lovemachine97 »

stp4

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Assistant Manager Strickland Propane
    • View Profile
Re: High Rise has leaked (aka my review)!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 08:03:45 PM »
Kick ass review! I love it after one listen, I'm on my break, so I'll drop back by for a quick review..and I'm the biggest Scott fan on the fucking planet...I loved AoA, so its no surprise that I love this.

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »
i cant find it :(

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 10:29:51 PM »
I agree about Tomorrow. It sounds like it was written for Tiny Music.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:06:08 PM »
All the songs sound quite good.  However, I miss the lush acoustic songs w'eve grown accustom to hearing from the Deleo bro's.  My guess is that they wanted a sort of "high energy" oriented EP.  Still, here's to the future! And I still have hope that one day soon, they'll have it in them to write & record at least one more song in Drop D!
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 02:53:19 AM »
What a well-written review!  I totally agree that "Tomorrow" is the song of the EP for me based on the 90 second version.  Can't wait to hear it all....
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 05:27:08 AM »
Nicely written. "Same On The Inside" is my fave.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

The Legacy

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »
great review. i love all the songs, tomorrow is the best though. i needed time for same on the inside to grow on me but its a good one for sure

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 03:54:35 AM »
Now that I've heard High Rise in its entirety... Tomorrow is by far the best song.  Same On The Inside is good.  The other 3 songs are very generic and probably wouldn't have made the cut on any other STP album.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 06:23:18 PM »
Thanks, guys. At least in one thread we like it!

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 07:33:29 PM »
^ Very much enjoyed your review, thanks.

Anyway, downloaded, listened a few times then deleted - it's on order anyway. I really enjoyed the EP and I feel Chester did an excellent job for the most part.

Then, a weird thing happened. I felt compelled to play S/T a few times. I guess that, since I would never compare the new EP with the first 5 albums (nothing compares to those), I was looking for a reference point.

And, you know what? S/T has a ton of charm. I've been frustrated with it and critical of it for so long but I have to admit it - I miss the warmth, the daffy backing vocals and certainly the slightly off-kilter lyrics.

So now I'm totally conflicted. I thought I was over this whole thing but I'm not. I don't know how to feel tbh.

What I do know is that I've been a total prick on this board and I apologise sincerely for that. I'm going to disappear and get on with my otherwise very happy life. I just don't have the right personality for this sort of thing.

Take care everyone. I hope the EP does well and the band gets recognition for positive reasons. I hope Scott gets healthy and produces something worthy of his gifts.

And, maybe one day, we'll be charmed again...

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 07:36:28 PM »
^ Very much enjoyed your review, thanks.

Anyway, downloaded, listened a few times then deleted - it's on order anyway. I really enjoyed the EP and I feel Chester did an excellent job for the most part.

Then, a weird thing happened. I felt compelled to play S/T a few times. I guess that, since I would never compare the new EP with the first 5 albums (nothing compares to those), I was looking for a reference point.

And, you know what? S/T has a ton of charm. I've been frustrated with it and critical of it for so long but I have to admit it - I miss the warmth, the daffy backing vocals and certainly the slightly off-kilter lyrics.

So now I'm totally conflicted. I thought I was over this whole thing but I'm not. I don't know how to feel tbh.

What I do know is that I've been a total prick on this board and I apologise sincerely for that. I'm going to disappear and get on with my otherwise very happy life. I just don't have the right personality for this sort of thing.

Take care everyone. I hope the EP does well and the band gets recognition for positive reasons. I hope Scott gets healthy and produces something worthy of his gifts.

And, maybe one day, we'll be charmed again...

Who are you and want have you done with Stop That Pigeon?
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Silverman Supergun

• Thetan level 7
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:41 PM »
I think the reviews from the Below Empty "regulars" about covers all angles.  My review is for the banter now on this site.  2 thumbs down.  I want no part of this STP Civil War.  Good health and long life to all.  Out.
Trampled under sole of another man's shoes cause I walked too softly.  But in my defense, he was a Macho Pendejo.

StoneTempleBrett

• AlternativeNation.net & STPfans.com
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Pooper Scooper
    • View Profile
    • AlternativeNation.net
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:13:07 PM »
I love self-titled too, that's why it's sad that Scott's issues had to prevent him from staying in the band, because even with recording separately and not getting along they still had great musical chemistry with Scott's lyrics over the DeLeos music.  But the bottom line is it wasn't working out, maybe someday, but for now I really enjoy the new EP.  Is it better than the classic albums?  No, but it's a very good EP.

STP Shows: 5/1/08, 6/24/08, 12/31/08, 7/1/09, 5/25/10, 6/5/10, 10/29/10, 9/22/12, 5/30/13, 9/1/13
Velvet Revolver Shows: 7/22/06, 9/15/07
Scott Weiland Shows: 12/14/08, 12/8/11

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
The thing about Brendan O'Brien is that he is very demanding of songwriters. I think artists can have a hard time with him as he doesn't act as a member of the band, but as someone demanding more and better out of people. Sometimes bands want to move away from that for a bit, like Pearl Jam. I think Backspacer and what I have heard so far from Lightning Bolt (Sirens is a great song, and there is a ton of energy, reminiscent of Backspacer, in Mind Your Manners) are both better than Binaural through Pearl Jam (Avocado). But it is a journey they probably needed to take.

Other bands, who prefer to surround themselves with collaborators and yes men, like Aerosmith, can't handle working with O'Brien. He wants you to work on what you have, flush it out, and if you can't, it's dismissed. With him, the best songs are going to make it. And he's a stickler for keeping songs tight.

The DeLeos probably learned a lot from Brendan, but what I don't think they have learned is that it helps to have someone saying, "That's nice; I think you can do better," as opposed to a band member saying, "I like that, let me put vocals to it now." Brendan may not have thought some of the self-titled or EP songs were ready or good enough. That's just my guess based on what I have read about him or heard about him.

I really think his absence is what hurt self-titled. We probably would have seen some better ideas forced out, and I think Weiland would have been well served to work with him. He sounded so great on Libertad and really wrote some great vocal lines for that album. Left to his own devices on self titled he sounds like he worked until he was content and that is it.

Let's hope that this EP was, as they say, a way for them to get to know each other and work together. I hope they bring some discipline in when they decided to do a full length album.