September 30, 2024, 03:22:23 PM

Author Topic: Did the creativity of STP kill the band and their popularity?  (Read 4547 times)

robrhre

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Grab the hate and drown it out
    • View Profile
Did the creativity of STP kill the band and their popularity?
« on: August 26, 2013, 04:55:16 PM »
Before people reply, "no, it was Scott" just give this thought a chance. SLDD and S/T are albums that we, as die-hards, love but what about the rest of the casual fans. The creativity of STP helped build them into an arena rock band with Purple and Tiny Music, however, did they go too far with SLDD and S/T? A lot of tunes off of each record are tunes that after one listen one can tell they have no chance of being radio hits. For example, Wonderful, Hello It's Late, Bi-Polar Bear, A Song For Sleeping and many more off of SLDD and S/T. Should they have removed these tunes and gone more for hits? Keep in mind I'm speaking from the casual fan perspective not how I view the band. I love both records and I would not want them any other way. However, each of those records are COMPLETELY different than the first three that made them stars. Yes, the first three records sound completely different as well but the all have the common thread of potential hit sounding songs before the were released. Prior to SLDD and S/T being released what tunes could the band honestly invision being a hit? Look at Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains, they are not in the same league as STP in my opinion but have kept a similar format in terms of at least making sure they have a few familiar sounding tunes that are likely to be hits on each record. STP definitely did not do that with SLDD and S/T and that is where they lost their popularity to me.
MM 3/10/09 STP 10/6/09 EC 6/19/10 SP7/16/10
STP 10/19/10 3EB 5/11/11 B182 8/12/11
Godsmack 8/16/11 Incubus 9/17/11
Foo's 11/8/11 Bush 12/2/11 JA 3/10/12 Bush 8/1/12
3DG 10/27/12 SW 11/29/12 SW 3/11/13 SW 8-20-13 Pepper 9/14/13 CTE 10/25/13 AM! 1/15/14 Weezer 4/1/14

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
Re: Did the creativity of STP kill the band and their popularity?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »
Absolutely not. What hurt this band's chances of having a true legacy was Scott's stops in and out of rehab right as their fame was ballooning.  The first two albums are the most popular not because they are the least creative among their other works, but because this was a time in STP's camp that they could fully tour an album without someone needing to go to rehab.  This is just my opinion, of course, but I believe it plays into the equation a bit more than their creativeness.
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

Unglued812

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Jim Morrison is my God
    • View Profile
    • www.ungluedremains.blogspot.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
Well, first of all, "Wonderful" with the proper promotion would've been a great single. And i think that STP did what they wanted as artists....
They never went "too far" on the creative process... because the thing about STP is this: if they want to make a rock n roll record, they bring No.4
If they want to make an artsy record...they bring Tiny Music...

If they want to combine them, they bring SLDD.

If they are too lazy to even write the songs all together in a room...THEY STILL give you another awesome album as the self titled.

They are just amazing musicians and the actual situtation is just a shame. Waste of talent because of egos. Ill blame the whole band (yes, even Eric) because sure Scott can be a fuck up, but the
way the Deleos and Kretz have been managing the situation is awful.
Seems like you left me when you broke down

DELEO

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »
Absolutely not. What hurt this band's chances of having a true legacy was Scott's stops in and out of rehab right as their fame was ballooning.  The first two albums are the most popular not because they are the least creative among their other works, but because this was a time in STP's camp that they could fully tour an album without someone needing to go to rehab.  This is just my opinion, of course, but I believe it plays into the equation a bit more than their creativeness.

Ahhh maybe, but maybe Scotts issues made them and him a household name??? Maybe? MAYBE?

Humble Kidney Pie

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Hold on to something still.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 10:02:41 PM »
I think SLDD was undoubtedly a huge misstep for STP in 2001.  No question.  I love and adore the album, but there was room for a big, breakout rock album in the summer of 01, and that's just not what STP delivered. 
The expectation was there.  SLDD was going to be the Californiacation of 2001, and that's just not the record they delivered, so it fizzled out, along with their careers.
Picked a song, sang a yellow nectarine.

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 10:41:30 PM »
I dig SLDD but thought commercially they made some bad decisions.  First,  they never supported the album.  They put out the album, then left to tour Europe and by the time they got back everyone forgot the album.  Then in the US they toured festivals(family values) with the greatest hits setlist for the most part.  Was really confusing time.  I thought S/T was subpar for STP standards.  The only missing piece was Brendan O Brien.  Why they decided to self produce was another head scratcher for me.  Then they repeated the SLDD mistake of not supporting the album.  How many times did they play S/T live.  Not many.  To me, this was the reason their commercial success went down.  Then Scott went and did VR.  They had some momentum when they got back together but really butchered it with S/T as said.