September 25, 2024, 10:15:53 AM

Author Topic: STP is not as good as it used to be  (Read 12196 times)

Chris Pepper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: STP is not as good as it used to be
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2011, 09:50:42 PM »
Not sure I get the argument.  My expectations are much lower these days than the days of No.4.  They had something to prove back then.  Setlist has been a topic for years now.  It's something I've come to expect.  They're definitely not bringing it like No. 4 days opening for RHCP.  Some really great shows back then.  I've been pretty pleased the past 6-7 years now.  Scott has been on a tear.  SLDD, 2 VR albums, double solo album and tour, book, new STP album.  It's been pretty sweet.  They've even played some deep cuts I thought I'd never hear.  TCQ, SCT, Heaven Hotrods, Dancin Days.  It would be cool to hear Meatplow or Dumb Love, but at this point not sure I care.  I'm cool with a couple of deep cuts a show.  Would be cool if they stuck with them and eliminated something else, ie Wicked Garden or something when time is running short.

Although I must say I'm not wasting my time/money for a show I've already seen.  But seeing STP once a year doing some new tunes and the old hits works for me at small venues.  It was cool seeing them sell out the Hollywood Bowl a couple of years ago but it was much cooler seeing them at the House of Blues.     

Brad

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 02:59:06 AM »
I have to say there is definitely something that bothers me about Scotts singing style these days. It's hard to describe but it's like he has to put an upward inflection to every word. Like he's trying to overcompensate for his loss of some vocal power. Its completely understandable that he is older now and lost some vocal ability but I really wish he would chill and sing without those dramatics. I know he changes his singing style often so I'm still clinging to hope that this will be a short lived phase. :(

Casper

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 03:56:50 AM »
I've seen STP pre and post reunion, a total of 11 shows, and even drove over 500 miles one way for the Ohio gig in '08. I know their catalog back and front. Love all the songs (except S/T Fast As I Can). I've seen greatness opening for Chili Peppers, I've seen mediocrity which I'll leave up for debate, and I've seen disaster at PNC.

I think it's just hard for some people to see (and in some cases believe) that the greatest live rock band in the last 20 years got old. Remember Willie Mays playing with the Mets? Sinatra towards the end?

STP aren't what they used to be. Hell, they can't be what they used to be. It's not physically possible. It happens to all great bands who don't quit, fizzle or die in their prime. Mother nature catches up... on some faster then others.
adhesive love

rocker rockstar

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 06:06:30 AM »
I have to say there is definitely something that bothers me about Scotts singing style these days. It's hard to describe but it's like he has to put an upward inflection to every word. Like he's trying to overcompensate for his loss of some vocal power. Its completely understandable that he is older now and lost some vocal ability but I really wish he would chill and sing without those dramatics. I know he changes his singing style often so I'm still clinging to hope that this will be a short lived phase. :(

I think you may be hearing what I was complaining about too.  I think it is a choice.  I wonder if it has to do with the slower tempo since he has more time to do something different.  Anyways, I don't like it.  I was hoping it would be a short lived thing and he would get bored with it but he has been doing it for at least two years maybe more.  I wounder why he does it too.  I guess he likes it for some reason.  I don't.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:09:52 AM by rocker rockstar »

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
We do realize we are talking about a band where the members aren't too far from being 50 and a lead singer who shot smack for 10+  years and amazingly still breathes?

This reminds me of when I saw The Rolling Stones in 2005 at Madison Square Garden and I heard people complaining they weren't as good as they used to be.. it's like really? no shit
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

DergaDoodle

• Ground Personnel
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 04:48:26 PM »
We do realize we are talking about a band where the members aren't too far from being 50 and a lead singer who shot smack for 10+  years and amazingly still breathes?

This reminds me of when I saw The Rolling Stones in 2005 at Madison Square Garden and I heard people complaining they weren't as good as they used to be.. it's like really? no shit

Rolling Stones are a much better live band as it stands now. It's not even a contest. STP's problem goes beyond just age. There's a significant lack of passion on Scott's part.