September 19, 2024, 11:53:36 PM

Author Topic: 2011-08-16 - Austin, TX - ACL Moody Theater  (Read 11073 times)

Sinnamon Toast

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-08-16 - Austin, TX - ACL Moody Theater
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 05:08:29 AM »
Wow! What a kick-ass show!  Just got home from the best concert of my life! 

First things first, Jetstream, the opening band.  These kids were great!!!  Ben is 18 and drums better than Eric, the bassist, Kevin, is only 14 and played almost like a mini Flea (no lie!).  The singer/guitarist named Garrett is about 17 and could shred the hell out of a guitar!  Got lucky to run into these guys after the STP show and they were just so psyched to be touring with STP.  After speaking with their dad, it turns out that Rob heard them playing in the same studio that he was in not too long ago.  Rob was so thrilled that he had Jetstream open up for STP for the last 14 or so shows.  It turns out that these kids all met at a music academy and they are like mini prodigies!  Kids are ultra-talented they just need the incentive to begin touring and doing this for a living and they have a shot at getting huge. 

Now on to STP.  Front row center!!!  The Moody Theater was really adamant about no cameras but I did get Trippin' along with the final bow!  Scott sounded great, was sporting the leopard belt, and was a lil incoherent between songs (but I have come to expect this) but overall was vocally on top of his game.  My step-dad ended up getting the slider, along with BOTH drum sticks!!!  Eric and the band defiantly respected that the my mom and step-father and I knew all the lyrics so he defiantly hooked us up!  No Bipolar Bear  :(  but they more than made up for it by playing flawlessly.  Scott sang "Down" differently than I ever have heard by singing at one point, "Will you follow me up now".  Kinda weird but he defiantly did it on purpose. 

Scott dissed on Glee because they took the number 1 spot on the Billboard top 200 when the self titled album came out last year.  At one point I noticed Scott flipping the right side of the stage off, but it did not seem to tick him off too much other than that.  Got to slap Scott's hand which was really cool (first time he did that although I was front row center two other times), and also got some love from Rob when he strutted his way over to me.  Another thing worth noting is that Scott was wearing a wedding band on his left hand  :o .

After the show we waited outside the busses to see the guys.  We missed ole Scooter, he must of shot out of there right after the show like he usually does.  Eric had his family with him so he didn't say much.  I did think it was cute, however, that his boy was smiling at the mini-crowd shouting for Eric.  We also missed Dean, but when Rob came out he defiantly showed some love to the fans who waited until 1:00 for him to come out to his bus.  (It turns out that they all had their own bus)

Right after Rob left, Jetstream came up on their skateboards and my mom had a huge crush on the drummer so she got her drumstick signed by them (yes, she also got their drumstick).  Tomorrow in Dallas is the last show they will be doing with STP before they go back to California for school.

Trippin' on a Hole/Bow-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MafEIGH2Bjk    (At about 1:40 Rob gets super close to me)

Rob coming out to meet us after the show-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMVQ52-wsdE   
What a class act, the only one of the four to stop by for the fans.  My mom hugs him first, then step-dad, then my uncle gets in on the act!

What a night!!!  ;D

I was there last night and I agree with your review.  It was my very first time to see STP live and it meant the world to me!  They sounded and looked so great!  I was on the floor a little less than a 1/4 back, middle a tad to the left.  At the very front, straight ahead of me, there was a tall dude, (maybe in his 40's?), wearing the STP T-Shirt with this year's tour dates listed on the back.  I went to this show alone and was really hoping to meet some chilled out, cool people.  Sadly, and due to a very long, difficult drive from East Texas, I did not get to the venue as early as I had planned.  What happened instead:  I arrived and took my spot on the floor just in time to hear the last few songs played by Jetstream.  To my left were people toking on so much weed that a very noticeable but hilarious smoke cloud floated right above them.  To my right was a small group of drunk fools, spilling their beer everywhere, attempting to turn such an awesome show into a mosh pit a few times.  With the exception of those idiots  ::) , I had a really great time!   :)  However, I must admit, it would have been a PERFECT experience if I had been at the very front where everyone seemed really amped, as well as respectful.  Last night was a prime example of what a difference it makes to be surrounded by chill folks vs. obnoxious folks. 

I, too, noticed what appeared to be a wedding band on Scott's finger.  I wonder what that is all about?  The only thing that I would add is- of the whole band, I felt that Robert was really "connecting" with the crowd the most!  He just oozed charisma and he was on fire!  I had the biggest smile on my face and it was awesome to see Rob smile in my direction several times.   ;)   It's nice to see that I wasn't the only one that noticed how cool he was being.  After watching your vid where you guys were able to greet Rob, I am so happy for you all and envious!  Since I am a bit of a concert newbie and I am not at all familiar with Austin or Moody Theatre, I had no clue where to go to even attempt to catch a glimpse of the guys and their tour buses.  Thanks again for sharing your experience and your vids.  I really liked seeing the love Rob was showing you guys. 

That sucks you were near those people.  Next STP concert we need all the Below Empty peeps to stand right up front and center together.  It would be fun!

D-mn right, txgirl6927!  As I was standing there, would you believe that I was thinking that?  After the opening band before STP started, I asked about 6 or 7 folks if they were BE peeps and I was met with either blank expressions  ???  or looks of "WTF is this chick talking about?"  hahah! 
Are you good and lubed up?

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
Yeah we all defiantly need to be close to each other for the next show.  I have short dark brown hair and was right in between the dude with the wavy hair and the short guy that wanted the setlist.  I think your friend tried more than a few times to pull a quick one and get on the front row  :P
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »
Wow that vid of Rob playing that bass line so close up is probably the coolest thing I've seen in ages!

Yeah, I know right?  I took the vid on my ipod touch but don't know how to make it bigger and clearer on youtube.  He was defiantly showing off for the camera lol
"I can sit there and feel a deep hatred for Dean and Robert, but when I hear them play guitar, I'm deeply moved." - Scott Weiland '94

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2011, 03:16:37 PM »
A qwicky

"Scott Weiland stood on top of a stage monitor, the microphone close to his lips, as he wrapped his strong voice around "Wicked Garden," the second number during the nearly sold-out Stone Temple Pilots concert Wednesday night at Palladium Ballroom. Early on Weiland proved what a great frontman he is. When the music was blazing thanks to bassist Robert DeLeo, guitarist Dean DeLeo and drummer Eric Kretz, Weiland was a commanding presence. He's transfixing.
STP put on a solid show lasting about 95 minutes, and the crowd responded with rock horns, mini-moshing, air guitar playing, fist pumping and plenty of singing along. The group delivered tunes from six studio albums, including 2010's self-titled comeback effort. On that platform there were no signs of the tumultuous behind-the-scenes issues that created rifts among the members. Weiland's well-documented battle with drugs and legal troubles seems like yesterday's drama. However, every time Weiland spoke to the crowd his speech was measured and slightly slurred.
Plus, sometimes he would launch into a topic that felt plucked out of thin air. He rambled about being a Notre Dame football fan, and how Texas also has good players. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the point of that was. He sounded genuinely grateful to still have a career regardless of the disappointing sales of rock CDs lately. And he made it a point to praise Lone Star folks: "People have soul. They care about the community. They care about each other. That's what makes Texas a beautiful place." "
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

DeadAndNotForSale

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Would you even care?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 09:55:46 PM »
A qwicky

"Scott Weiland stood on top of a stage monitor, the microphone close to his lips, as he wrapped his strong voice around "Wicked Garden," the second number during the nearly sold-out Stone Temple Pilots concert Wednesday night at Palladium Ballroom. Early on Weiland proved what a great frontman he is. When the music was blazing thanks to bassist Robert DeLeo, guitarist Dean DeLeo and drummer Eric Kretz, Weiland was a commanding presence. He's transfixing.
STP put on a solid show lasting about 95 minutes, and the crowd responded with rock horns, mini-moshing, air guitar playing, fist pumping and plenty of singing along. The group delivered tunes from six studio albums, including 2010's self-titled comeback effort. On that platform there were no signs of the tumultuous behind-the-scenes issues that created rifts among the members. Weiland's well-documented battle with drugs and legal troubles seems like yesterday's drama. However, every time Weiland spoke to the crowd his speech was measured and slightly slurred.
Plus, sometimes he would launch into a topic that felt plucked out of thin air. He rambled about being a Notre Dame football fan, and how Texas also has good players. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the point of that was. He sounded genuinely grateful to still have a career regardless of the disappointing sales of rock CDs lately. And he made it a point to praise Lone Star folks: "People have soul. They care about the community. They care about each other. That's what makes Texas a beautiful place." "

He said this in Dallas, not Austin :)

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 08:15:55 PM »
Ok, here are all my pics: http://s1084.photobucket.com/albums/j406/STPfan98/?start=all
Theres a few blurry ones but considering that I was using a small little handheld digital camera, I think most of them turned out pretty good.
I usually use flickr but I decided to use photobucket for my concert pics, I use flickr to post my travel pics. Anyway, enjoy. I'll post the Dallas ones soon.  :)
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 05:17:14 PM »
Since you may not wanna look through all those pics, here are my personal faves:

EDIT: Nevermind, for some reason my computers being stupid and won't let me do anything so sorry, i'll try again later
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:19:52 PM by pjstp »
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

hawk900

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 05:07:08 PM »
 Has this been posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2YFh6JJvE8   HD BBB and more from youtube poster

hawk.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:23:41 PM by hawk900 »

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

RailBrews

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »

Sinnamon Toast

• Contributors
  • Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:22 AM »
Has this been posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2YFh6JJvE8   HD BBB and more from youtube poster

hawk.

Thanks for that link, Hawk.  That is a great vid that captures nearly my exact vantage point.  It feels great to be able to watch this and feel like I am there all over again. 
Are you good and lubed up?