September 20, 2024, 01:44:59 AM

Author Topic: 2011-05-04 - Richmond, VA - Innsbrook After Hours  (Read 11826 times)

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: 2011-05-04 - Richmond, VA - Innsbrook After Hours
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
The highlight was probably down, they always rock that tune. Scott talked very little in between songs but seemed a little out of it when he did.
I thought Down was kind of slow.  To me, Crackerman was the highlight.  They came out sounding really energetic, but in my opinion lost the crowd from when Hickory Dichotomy started until when Plush started.  I heard a fair amount of heckling in the area I was standing in during those songs, and Big Empty was used as everyone's opportunity to go get some funnel cake.  The crowd thinned out noticeably after ILS started.  Overall, I enjoyed it though.  I hadn't seen them live since '97.  They were better than the usual Innsbrook bands, and infinitely better than the opening act.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »
mmmm that funnel cake was good. I couldn't resist pre-show! Haha. Agree the start was strong - Crackerman, WG, Vasoline in succession were solid.

somexxxgirls

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »
Who spends this much time talking about "speakers" at a gig?  STP could play in a high school cafeteria and crush it.

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
two of my co-workers went to the show. Casual STP fans that like the band but never saw them live. One was satisfied and had a good time but thought "the vocals were weak" and the other thought the show wasn't very good. Thought it seemed "mailed in" and thought Scott wasn't impressive.

I've seen them so many times I didn't really notice much, I mean most of us know what to expect from the boys at this point... but I was disappointed to hear from them that they weren't impressed by STP. It's not like Scott had a horrible off night... he was a little weird in between songs but overall the band played similar or better to all the shows since 2008. I guess hearing that kind of brought me to terms with the realization that as much as I love this band their best days are now far behind them. Kind of makes me sad. Too bad they didn't see STP in the late 90's, they would have seen the best live rock band in the world at the time.

Would still go see STP anytime and I love the boys, but I think this is the first time it kind of hit me that they're going downhill. In some ways I've been kind of in denial. I mean, Scott's moves are nowhere near what the used to be, his voice is nothing like it use to be... and that was such a big part of the show 10 years ago. I still think the band is as good as ever, it's Scott's drop off that has caused the major shift in quality I think. Anyway, still love the boys and it was great, but kind of a bummer to hear two casual fans tell me they thought Scott was disappointing.

cagedtiger1640

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
turning into the rolling stones and its a sad sad site.  Those shows from the NO.4 and Shangri la days are like night and day compared to their shows since the "comeback."   They lost the fire and hunger that they once had.  I hope it comes back someday but i'm not holding my breathe.  I wonder if they know this?

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »
Would still go see STP anytime and I love the boys, but I think this is the first time it kind of hit me that they're going downhill. In some ways I've been kind of in denial. I mean, Scott's moves are nowhere near what the used to be, his voice is nothing like it use to be... and that was such a big part of the show 10 years ago. I still think the band is as good as ever, it's Scott's drop off that has caused the major shift in quality I think. Anyway, still love the boys and it was great, but kind of a bummer to hear two casual fans tell me they thought Scott was disappointing.

I kind of felt that way after I saw them in 2008. Slightly disappointed.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

foou33

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile

pjstp

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
STP: 2/19/2011 - Thackerville, OK; 4/30/2011 - Birmingham, AL; 8/16/2011 - Austin, TX; 8/17/2011 - Dallas, TX; 11/5/2011 - Concho, OK
SW: 3/27/2013 - Dallas, TX; 4/30/2014 - Dallas, TX; 5/3/2014 - Little Rock, AR; 9/20/2014 - Shreveport, LA; 11/9/2015 - Dallas, TX

SoftVinyl

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2011, 05:43:16 PM »
Anyone have an MP3 of this recording??
\'I\'m not paranoid...everyone is just out to get me!\'