September 27, 2024, 08:18:48 PM

Author Topic: Gavin Degraw's "I Don't Wanna Be" guitar riff a "Vasoline" Ripoff?!?!?  (Read 8535 times)

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETt65SA31-w

^^^ Gavin Degraw's "I Don't Wanna Be"

so i heard this song on the radio today ( one of the main reasons why i dont normally listen to the radio  ) and of course its been years since i heard it but i couldnt help but notice the guitar sounds EXACTLY the same as Vasoline.. its just played a little slower.. has anyone else noticed this?

Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Degraw's "I Don't Wanna Be" guitar riff a "Vasoline" Ripoff?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 07:51:00 AM »
Haha yes!! I remember when this song first came out that was the first thing I thought of. I've always thought the riff in U2's "Vertigo" bares a resemblance to Vasoline as well
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

stpunderground

• Sky Captain
  • Clean a politician and wash him with everpure
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 08:11:03 AM »

nah doesnt sound much like vertigo... theres more to the riff on vertigo... vasoline is basically a simple 2 note riff.. super easy to play but sounds good!
Dead fish don't swim around in jealous tides

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »
refrain from posting stuff that's already here, saw you do in the SW section too
I had the midwife naked and alone

therealcaptain40

• Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:29:15 PM »
refrain from posting stuff that's already here, saw you do in the SW section too

If it bothers you so much then "refrain" from reading it.

RangerJim

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • My band website:
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:49:37 PM »
Yes this does have the same riff has Vasoline.  But then again Dean was the pioneer of that back and forth riff.  You can see that other bands "grunge" or "post-grunge" records post STP's Purple, that many bands used this riff either tuned down half a step or just played higher on the fretboard.   Examples:  Tonic's "Bigot Sunshine" & "Roses", Our Lady Peace's "Consequences of laughing" and "One Man Army"(occurs after the second chorus and after the guitar solo), and even Alter Bridge on their new record AB III after the quiet intro of Slip to the Void, it kicks in with Mark Tremonti's vasoline riff tuned down to drop C.  So many examples of Dean's riff being used but hey it's a wicked simple effective riff.
Sophisticated yet different, without making a fuss about it.