September 20, 2024, 02:13:14 AM

Author Topic: Robert isint bringing as many basses out on tour  (Read 4242 times)

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Robert isint bringing as many basses out on tour
« on: July 21, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »
Its probably the fact that I am a bassist that I would observe this but I have noticed Robert since STP regrouped in 2008 hasn't brought out as many basses as he has in past tours. If you look back to the late 90's and up to the breakup in 2002 Robert played a bunch of different Schecters. Now he seems to just rotate between 2 Sunburst Model T's, although I saw him playing a Schecter P bass during Hickory Dichotomy on the Kimmel Show. He has some beautiful basses it would be great to see him mix it up more.  Just an observation. 
If you should die before me ask if you could bring a friend.
Pick a flower hold your breath and drift away.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Robert isint bringing as many basses out on tour
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 07:40:19 PM »
I think he's always just brought 2-3 basses on tour.

Back in the Core, Purple, and I believe Tiny Music, days, he just had two Schecter J basses he played the Blue on with the Phillies sticker and a white one.

Then starting in with No. 4, he started using two Schecter Model Ts and one of his old J basses (usually, the white one.)

Now I think he just uses two or three Model Ts. Except at KROQ's Weenie Roast and Jimmy Kimmel live, where he used a Schecter P-bass, and I believe two Model Ts as well.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 09:12:50 AM »
Looks like Robert removed the EMG pickups that were in his schecters in favor of passive pickups, he also changed his amp rig from Eden to Ampeg, all of us bassist are allways looking for the perfect tone.

captainslovakia

• Pilot
  • (((in stereo where available)))
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
Maybe it's just because I like the sort of lo-fi raw sound of it but i think he had it pretty perfected in the Tiny era....I don't know if it was was the whole album, but for parts anyways I hear he used a guitar head with like an ampeg billion speaker cabinet...pretty much my wet dream...the one where I'm a bass player...

I do like whatever he used on down though too...
"That's hill-WILLIAM to you!" - cletus

captainslovakia

• Pilot
  • (((in stereo where available)))
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 09:34:49 AM »
i know...amps...but still...i think that's pretty rare, using a guitar head with a bass but it sounds crazy awsome...real 1960's
"That's hill-WILLIAM to you!" - cletus

MAJOR METAL

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 06:01:01 PM »
Yeah their vintage approach to gear and recording added something special to those albums. I actually prefer Robert's tone with the EMG PJ Pickups though.

Silvergun Batman

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »

For my money, my favorite Rob tone had to be on Purple, with Tiny Music coming in at a close second ... and I do like his sound on the new s/t one as well ...
I got a picture of a photograph ...