September 30, 2024, 08:26:48 AM

Author Topic: naked sunday  (Read 8897 times)

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
Re: Naked Sunday Lyrics
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 02:52:03 PM »
I'm with Suffer_Long (just because it isn't my language) but I do listened the video  ;) and I almost cracked up with "Señores y Señoritas"  :D
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

bigemptycreep

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 07:58:34 AM »
Quote from: "andrew"
It's typed like someone didn't edit that good.

"that well"

sorry, couldn't resist

it almost does sound like a 'j' in there, but I think he's just 'dragging' the d a bit.

first thing i do when i open a cd is take out the booklet read the thank yous and listen while i read along the lyrics. i can't really remember which songs but purple and core i seem to recall being frustrating to read along with lol.

one thing i would mention is several of the Core songs maybe have been re-written since the mighty joe young recordings which could have been the source of the booklet material. I don't know the exact timeline or anything, so maybe they didn't redo any of it.

ever listen to Scott sing lady picture show live, sounds like he can't make up his mind whether she's hiding behind a door or a wall.

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 10:10:34 AM »
Quote from: "bigemptycreep"
Quote from: "andrew"
It's typed like someone didn't edit that good.

"that well"

sorry, couldn't resist

it almost does sound like a 'j' in there, but I think he's just 'dragging' the d a bit.

first thing i do when i open a cd is take out the booklet read the thank yous and listen while i read along the lyrics. i can't really remember which songs but purple and core i seem to recall being frustrating to read along with lol.

one thing i would mention is several of the Core songs maybe have been re-written since the mighty joe young recordings which could have been the source of the booklet material. I don't know the exact timeline or anything, so maybe they didn't redo any of it.

ever listen to Scott sing lady picture show live, sounds like he can't make up his mind whether she's hiding behind a door or a wall.

So they did a well job instead of a good job?  ;D
Bleeda blooda

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
yeah hes definitely saying dust, the vocals are just really distorted so it sounds like hes got a speech impediment or something. and yeah i always wondered about the "angst" thing, i was kinda wondering if scott was making fun of himself. i guess thats the best representation of a guy screaming "aaaahhhh...oohhhhhh" he could think of

nicolecary

• BabyGurl:)
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
  • "Don't judge a man till you've walked his path"
    • View Profile
    • My Main Place Of Contact:
Re: naked sunday
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 02:45:22 PM »
Hey may I ask all of you something?

Some people were saying that lyrics for this song had to do with a religious view and it was Scott questioning god, do u all think this is true?

Because from where Scott stands Ive herd he believes in god?

If he dose not, this worries me....I mean...idk i'm sorry.

I'm just a really religious person when you come down to it...
~big*bang*baby~

Jim The Stimulator

• The Habs Fan
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2010, 02:52:23 PM »
Quote from: "nicolecary"

Some people were saying that lyrics for this song had to do with a religious view and it was Scott questioning god, do u all think this is true?

I think he doesn't like organized religion in general.  He does believe in God.
We like the cars...the cars that go BOOM!

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 02:53:05 PM »

I think it's about religion, but it's not Scott questioning God.  It's more about the way religion is used sometimes by individuals for control and power.  I don't believe Scott has an issue with personal faith, I think he was just pissed about people using religion as a means to command others.
Sin make me strong.

nicolecary

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2010, 03:17:07 PM »
Oh ok well thank you so much guys really, I was beginning to fear for the worst there for a minit .lol.
~big*bang*baby~

wickedgarden23

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
Yeah...they also thank Jesus Christ in the liner notes of Core...and Scott personally mentions God in the Contraband liner notes, and not to go totally off topic but here's a cool little tidbit: When I saw STP this past Saturday, during "Hickory Dichotomy" Scott pointed up the sky when he said "revel in the light of lights." Just thought that was interesting...gave some insight into what that line could mean
My STP shows: 8/10/2008, 7/19/2009, 10/10/2009, 5/22/2010, 4/26/2011, 4/24/2015   Weiland solo: 1/29/2009, 11/29/2012, 3/13/2015    VR: 8/5/2007

JugeSTP

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2010, 04:14:18 PM »
Scott was raised Catholic and still goes to mass on Sundays from time to time. He is a practicing Catholic. He believes in God, as A Song for Sleeping can attest to, and he's a huge fan of Notre Dame (Catholic school and catholic history). He also sings in HIG about how his dead brother "always went to mass". He also sings Be Not Afraid in HIG, a traditional Catholic hymn. Scott believes in God and I don't even think he really has an issue with organized religion. I can't speak for how he felt about religion when Core came out though. Naked Sunday definitely has anti God/anti religious lyrics... but remember "Sex Type Thing" off that record was another song not meant to be taken as literal feelings Scott had. He was putting himself in the mind of a macho alpha male pig. He easily could've been putting himself in "Naked Sunday" in the place of a man questioning his faith. That's what I think the song is about, ultimately, a person who had faith at one point but is now questioning it.

Interesting title, by the way, "Naked Sunday". Mass is on Sunday. We were created naked, but when Adam/Eve betrayed God they were shamed by this nakedness. It's possible Scott was questioning religion at the time he wrote the song, but a lot has changed in his life since then.

Five Star Edge

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2010, 05:57:24 PM »

Let go, let God they say
I do believe but not in yours or yours
I just believe it’s all the same

- Barbarella
I’m here to bleed for all the lust and lonely nights.

nicolecary

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2010, 06:33:25 PM »
Is that the lyrics from the song? .lol.
~big*bang*baby~

nroma05

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
sounds like it could be.

Jacob

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »
speaking of Naked Sunday, does anyone have or know where to find a video of the SNL performance of this song? I only saw it once years ago and since then I've been looking. it's not on YouTube, not on SNL's official site and nowhere else it seems. it's one of my favorite songs of theirs and from what I can remember, the performance was amazing.

jjbsn5192

• Pilot
  • 7 Caged Tigers
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2010, 02:32:57 AM »
i honestly cant say or know if Scott believes in god.. i bet he does.. he doesn't speak about his religion alot

i almost kind of think he believes in a Buddha kind of sense..

" I have to return some video tapes "