October 04, 2024, 07:16:56 AM

Author Topic: Finally graduated with my BA!  (Read 4344 times)

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Finally graduated with my BA!
« on: June 23, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
I figured  this is a good place to share this since I have been part of the online STP community since probably 1995 or so.

I started junior college way back in 1997, but the music bug bit me and I got caught up in being a few bands for about 5 years.  I had a great time, and with my last band co-wrote about 15 or 16 songs, even recording a few of them (in pretty decent quality for a garage, I might add), but it pretty much kept my focus away from school.

In 2005, I hit "rock bottom" with a DUI.  I got my act together, finished JC, and transferred to California State University San Bernardino in the Fall of 2006.  After initially majoring in Political Science, I changed to English (with a focus on linguistics), and finally walked on June 20th.

Now I am a member of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honors Society.  I know so many people who don't get their life turned around when they are directionless.  I am glad I had a support system around me to help me do exactly that.

Now, for my celebration, I am spending a few days in Vegas, as well as seeing STP at the Hard Rock!  I am excited.

Now I just have to get rid of all the weight I gained going to school 4-5 days a week, and working 2-3.  Ugh.  Oh well, just another challenge!

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
Re: Finally graduated with my BA!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 11:34:48 PM »
Well damn. Congratulations! Sounds like you definitely deserve the trip to Vegas.

I need to get my butt into gear and figure out what I want to go to school for. I thought about learning how to work on computers, but that class was soooooooooooooooosososososo boring. I'm envious of people who know what they want to do when they graduate. I'm 21, and I'm no closer to figuring it out than I was when I was 18.  :-[
Bleeda blooda

Rocketboy

• Cardinal
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 03:52:35 AM »
Congrats!
I hope to someday finish my BFA (A little over a year to go, which seems impossible for the foreseeable future.

Quote from: "lovemachine97"
Now, for my celebration, I am spending a few days in Vegas, as well as seeing STP at the Hard Rock!  I am excited.
See The Hangover first and take plenty of notes for what you should NOT do (or is that what you should do?)  ;D

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 05:19:43 PM »
Quote from: "Rocketboy"
See The Hangover first and take plenty of notes for what you should NOT do (or is that what you should do?)  ;D

LOL. Nice.

Congrats Love Machine! That's awesome news!
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Shangri

• Bad Girl-La Dee Da
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • "It's like playing in front of 40 000 drummers"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 06:33:58 PM »
Congratulations!!  ;)
"We grew with the speed of light but crashed in the night"

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
Thanks, all!

everylilwhore

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 05:10:45 AM »
I figured  this is a good place to share this since I have been part of the online STP community since probably 1995 or so.

I started junior college way back in 1997, but the music bug bit me and I got caught up in being a few bands for about 5 years.  I had a great time, and with my last band co-wrote about 15 or 16 songs, even recording a few of them (in pretty decent quality for a garage, I might add), but it pretty much kept my focus away from school.

In 2005, I hit "rock bottom" with a DUI.  I got my act together, finished JC, and transferred to California State University San Bernardino in the Fall of 2006.  After initially majoring in Political Science, I changed to English (with a focus on linguistics), and finally walked on June 20th.

Now I am a member of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honors Society.  I know so many people who don't get their life turned around when they are directionless.  I am glad I had a support system around me to help me do exactly that.

Now I just have to get rid of all the weight I gained going to school 4-5 days a week, and working 2-3.  Ugh.  Oh well, just another challenge!

Sweet man. Congratulations, and I am sorry you hit a bump in the road but it looks like you came out on the other end a better person.

Christ, I spent approx 7-8 yrs on and off at PSU and Northeastern and never finished. I want to someday, but I just don't have the time or money. Glad you got it done man. Better man than I.

Hope you are well.

cosmicpilot

• Flowery Bad Girl
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:52:33 PM »
Well done on your BA, I got my BSc a few years ago now and it is wierd looking at all them people!  ;D
"Robert DeLeo is right there with him in the pocket, accenting the groove with his thick baselines (while exuding a stage presence midway between CIA agent, Mafia hit man, Latin gigolo and dance instructor, thanks to his slicked-back hair, ever-present shades and fluid moves)"
Darryl Sterdan - The winnipeg Sun

TLee05

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 12:25:15 AM »
Congrats!  It seems like we've been through similar experiences.  I bet you feel extremely relieved right now.  The funny thing is, although it's been a long road for me as well, I don't really feel satisfied.  It seems like it was all over just as I was getting good at it haha.  Oh well, there's always a Master's program...

Congrats again!

hurtstotalktoyou

• Contributors
  • Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 04:32:39 PM »

Congrats!  This must be an exciting time for you... so enjoy it!
my trading list[/url]
[url=http://comebac