October 03, 2024, 07:23:01 PM

Author Topic: So Rolling Stone Critics.......  (Read 7209 times)

randallanddarcy

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: So Rolling Stone Critics.......
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2010, 07:27:26 AM »
It may be the internet, and I guess it's each to our own on how we represent ourselves on-line and in the real world.

To answer your question, I am a fan. I got Core when it was first released-I was about 16. And I've purchased every album since on the day they were released.

I also taped the 2 STP shows I attended:

2001 08 22: Rock City, Nottingham, England (it has a small cut in 'Trippin...')
2001 08 23: Barrowlands, Glasgow, Scotland (complete)

I've never made them available, but maybe other sources are in circulation. Pearl Jam are my main band though.

In addition, I've seen Velvet Revolver 3 times, too.

2005 01 12: The Point, Dublin, Ireland
2005 06 08: Odyssey Arena, Belfast, Northern Ireland
2008 03 13: Ambassador Theatre, Dublin, Ireland

I'd have seen STP more often back in the day, but I only moved from Australia to Europe in 2001 and, as we all know, STP never toured Oz.
STP: August 21 and 23 2001. June 14 and 16 2010.
VR: Jan 2005, June 2005, March 2008.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2010, 07:52:14 AM »
Quote from: "randallanddarcy"
It may be the internet, and I guess it's each to our own on how we represent ourselves on-line and in the real world.

To answer your question, I am a fan. I got Core when it was first released-I was about 16. And I've purchased every album since on the day they were released.

I also taped the 2 STP shows I attended:

2001 08 22: Rock City, Nottingham, England (it has a small cut in 'Trippin...')
2001 08 23: Barrowlands, Glasgow, Scotland (complete)

I've never made them available, but maybe other sources are in circulation. Pearl Jam are my main band though.

In addition, I've seen Velvet Revolver 3 times, too.

2005 01 12: The Point, Dublin, Ireland
2005 06 08: Odyssey Arena, Belfast, Northern Ireland
2008 03 13: Ambassador Theatre, Dublin, Ireland

I'd have seen STP more often back in the day, but I only moved from Australia to Europe in 2001 and, as we all know, STP never toured Oz.

I'm actually studying abroad in Sydney right now, here's to hoping they add some dates the next few months!

As far as rolling stone goes, fuck them, seriously...they lost all credibility when they slapped the jonas bros on one of their covers
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 04:58:13 PM »
Quote from: "tumbleintherough"
i have a rolling stone mag from 96 with stp on the cover and im actually suprised there not bashing them but stp always got a bad rap from the start but you know the funny thing stp is the only surving band from the 90s nirvana is dead soundgardens gone alice in chains not the same with out layne blind melon dead pearl jam sucks so i think my point is proven stp is the best band out of the 90s period they already proved themselves to everyone

You have an interesting take on the word "proven".

Not that I don't think STP are the best band of the 90s, I do. But throwing out a list of people who died, split up, or bands that you think are crap doesn't prove shit.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2010, 09:04:38 PM »
i love all the 90s bands i grew up with all of them im a musician and those bands are in my blood all the songs i write have that inspiration but all im trying to say is stp are really the only surviving band left from that era and that proves that they have amazing chemistry and can hold it together unlike these other bands from that time plus stp is the only band to that kept the same 4 people and never changed there lineup so that to me is chemistry so yes i think its fair to say they proved themselves in a lot of ways

randallanddarcy

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 12:35:46 AM »
i love all the 90s bands i grew up with all of them im a musician and those bands are in my blood all the songs i write have that inspiration but all im trying to say is stp are really the only surviving band left from that era and that proves that they have amazing chemistry and can hold it together unlike these other bands from that time plus stp is the only band to that kept the same 4 people and never changed there lineup so that to me is chemistry so yes i think its fair to say they proved themselves in a lot of ways
They broke up for years because they didn't get on! I'd hardly call that "hold(ing) it together". Let's not forget they admit that Weiland recorded his vocal parts without the rest of the band for this album: that is not what I'd call an example of 'chemistry'.
In addition, Weiland's only alive through good luck, not good management. He was lucky. Plenty died from doing less than he did.
STP: August 21 and 23 2001. June 14 and 16 2010.
VR: Jan 2005, June 2005, March 2008.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »

But half the bands you mentioned split up because someone died, that has nothing to do with chemistry, well not the musical kind anyway. Somebody dying doesn't prove that they aren't as good a band.

Again, it's not that I disagree with your conclusions, but your method of reaching them is idiotic. STP are the greatest band out of all the ones you mentioned in my opinion because they are the most diverse and eclectic, and because over their highly troubled career they have produced 5 albums (probably 6, we'll see) that all have completely different personalities yet retain a signature that is unmistakably STP. They consistently innovate and evolve from album to album. This had nothing at all to do with very luckily managing to avoid anyone snuffing it.

And the only thing that separates STP from bands that have had lineup changes is that when they have been left without a singer and had record with someone else, they had the good sense not to call it STP.

As others have pointed out, of all the bands from that era, STP are one of the bands that have held it together the LEAST. Extended periods of inactivity, drug and arrest problems that have consistently cancelled tours, fights that have led to a 9 year gap between albums. I'm as happy as the next guy that we are FINALLY getting some new music from these guys, but you seem to have your head in a cloud about them.