September 25, 2024, 05:21:28 PM

Author Topic: STP helped killed the guitar solo ...  (Read 10056 times)

PhoenixFiles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: STP helped killed the guitar solo ...
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2010, 03:24:42 PM »
Quote from: "Piece_of_Pie"
Quote from: "TLee05"
I think John Frusciante once said, "Music isn't the olympics."  And keep in mind, that guy can shred if he really felt like it.  Just do what the song calls for.

Agree 100%

I hate it when people try to argue that a certain musician or group is "better" than another because they have more technical skill.

In terms of guitar solos.... I'm all for crazy shredding every now and then. But it has its place. Sometimes less is more (artistically speaking).

Agree as well... especially for me as a struggling guitarist, it seems some of the shredding is so technical it's rare to find guys who bring soul into it.  What I love about STP is that you just can't put them into a neat category, especially such a musically useless term like "grunge"...
We have art in order not to die of the truth.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

ArnoldLayne

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2010, 04:25:13 PM »
Dean's solos are amazing. He has this very "anti-solo" thing going on. He's not playing to show off etc. He just burns. If I had to choose one style as a guitarist, or maybe a combination of two, it'd be Dean/Frusciante.
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
Stone Temple Pilots - 2001-08-21
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24

PhoenixFiles

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 05:27:41 PM »
What I noticed after listening to a bunch of STP, then some VR is that Dean can insert himself into songs in all kinds of ways, some in your face, some subtle.  Love 'em or hate 'em Slash is all over the VR songs with a fairly consistent style.  Dean may put 5 separate 5 second solo splashes on a song, or a ripping 30 second burner....

Why I like his style...
We have art in order not to die of the truth.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

morcegohoman

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 03:25:21 AM »
Some of the best songs don't even HAVE (or need) solos. Sex Type Thing, Plush, and Wicked Garden to name a few.

tumbleintherough

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2010, 04:18:57 AM »
ya i agree some songs dont need any solos my favs from stp with no solos would be Big bang baby, Still remains, Pretty penny, I got you, Sour girl. Oh and of course Atlanta either way Dean is a genius and my favorite guitar player