September 19, 2024, 11:41:05 PM

Author Topic: 12 Bar Blues or Happy in Galoshes?  (Read 9831 times)

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
Re: 12 Bar Blues or Happy in Galoshes?
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »
Quote from: "StoneTempleBrett"
I love 12 Bar Blues it's an amazing trippy album, but this is far more focused and it has a bunch of different shit on it.  12 Bar Blues was the whole distorted heroin trip you know.  I love it, but Happy In Galoshes is something I can listen to all of the time.  12 Bar Blues is something I listen to when I'm pissed or sad.  Happy In Galoshes has a song for every mood.  It's just amazing, so I'm going with Happy In Galoshes, at least for the time being.  It's by far Scott's best work since Shangri LA DEE DA.

I think the difference is that Happy is a collection of songs that have been wriiten and recorded over a long period of time. That's why it may not have the 'vibe' that 12 BB had. However, I agree that it has a song for every mood.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2008, 05:40:16 AM »
As great as HIG is, 12BB will always have a special place.
I'm not kidding when I say that I feel like 12BB was one of the best albums of the last 10 years.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Piece_of_Pie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
As much as this sounds like a cop-out (although I don't think it is), you really can't compare the two... I mean, they were released ten years apart! Weiland really is isn't the same person he was ten years ago, musically or otherwise. Yeah I know that many of the tracks were written years ago... Still, I have a hard time comparing the two. Apples and Oranges.

rustic

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2008, 01:18:07 PM »
Quote from: "Piece_of_Pie"
As much as this sounds like a cop-out (although I don't think it is), you really can't compare the two... I mean, they were released ten years apart! Weiland really is isn't the same person he was ten years ago, musically or otherwise. Yeah I know that many of the tracks were written years ago... Still, I have a hard time comparing the two. Apples and Oranges.
Yeah, that's a cop-out alright.  ;)  You can do it, I promise.  You've already shown the ability to compare and contrast, specifically in the area of albums by the same artist.  You were able to do it when you picked No. 4 as your favorite STP album, even though STP really wasn't the same band they were a few years earlier when they recorded Core.

Oh, and by the way, I'm going to blow your mind right now.  I'm going into uncharted territory here.  Watch this.

Apples.  I like apples better than oranges.  Oranges are just too acidic for me.    ;D

Piece_of_Pie

• Contributors
  • Co-Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2008, 04:59:26 PM »
Quote from: "rustic"
Quote from: "Piece_of_Pie"
Yeah, that's a cop-out alright.  ;)  You can do it, I promise.  You've already shown the ability to compare and contrast, specifically in the area of albums by the same artist.  You were able to do it when you picked No. 4 as your favorite STP album, even though STP really wasn't the same band they were a few years earlier when they recorded Core.

Oh, and by the way, I'm going to blow your mind right now.  I'm going into uncharted territory here.  Watch this.

Apples.  I like apples better than oranges.  Oranges are just too acidic for me.    ;D

LOL good point. I guess I like them equally then.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »
The album took a while to grow on me - I have the 2-disc version and I find it much less consistent than 12BB plus there's not much really new soundwise imo.

In an ideal world, I'd have gone for a single disc with this tracklisting:

Paralysis
Tangle With Your Mind
Blind Confusion
Killing Me Sweetly
Big Black Monster
She Sold Her System
Hyper-Fuzz Funny Car
Crash
Blister On My Soul
Sometimes Chicken Soup
The Man I Didn't Know
Sentimental Halos

... 12 tracks, no covers.   ;D

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2009, 12:12:36 AM »
Quote from: "Stop That Pigeon"
The album took a while to grow on me - I have the 2-disc version and I find it much less consistent than 12BB plus there's not much really new soundwise imo.

In an ideal world, I'd have gone for a single disc with this tracklisting:

Paralysis
Tangle With Your Mind
Blind Confusion
Killing Me Sweetly
Big Black Monster
She Sold Her System
Hyper-Fuzz Funny Car
Crash
Blister On My Soul
Sometimes Chicken Soup
The Man I Didn't Know
Sentimental Halos

... 12 tracks, no covers.   ;D

that's actually pretty much how i feel now that i think about it except I'd replace sentimental halos with reel around the fountain and blister on my soul with beautiful day

oh yeah and I'd throw in I Know It's Too Late in there somewhere, shame it wasn't put on the album
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

Pingfah

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »
Agreed as well, i like the album, but after many listens I find it is far more messy and less cohesive than 12BB.

I probably wouldn't pick that track list, but I agree it should not have been released as a 2 disc. Or at least, Disc 2 should all have been extra content, they should not have broken the album up over 2 discs.