September 12, 2024, 06:03:38 AM

Author Topic: Live Tempos  (Read 5661 times)

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Live Tempos
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
Theres no doubt to me that through the years the band has played their material at different tempos.  I'm not exactly sure what influenced these tempo changes but I have my theories. Regardless of why, the different tempos definitely change the feel of the songs. 

For example compare Meatplow on the record to the performance at House Of Blues L.A. In 2000.  Way slower in this particular live performance, but I actually happen to prefer it slowed down like this.  It's just got an element of sexy to it that the album is lacking entirely. 

Take Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Heart from this same HOB live performance and compare it to the way they played it at Rolling Rock Fest in 2001.  Night and day difference!  It's super fast all the way through at Rolling Rock which gives the song the energy from the record and then some!

I think the tempos at Rolling Rock 2.0 were all consistently great, but I'd say what is also really good is their MTV spring break 97' performance.  The songs all have hopped up tempos which gives them that extra kick, especially Vasoline.  To me they just seem like such a well oiled machine musically at this  spring break 97' show.

Somewhere around 2009 I noticed they just started slowing everything down to the point where it was all ridiculously slow.  I felt it killed the songs.

I'm curious to know how everyone else feels about the tempo changes over time and what your preferences are.

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Live Tempos
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
I actually love meatplow at the House of Blues performance because it sounds better like that, and Robert's voice fits good with Scott's. And thats my favorite song for live performance. I love any version of Sour Girl, except when they got back together because I don't think they performed it like they used to. They did it kind of how it was on album version.

I like the tempo changes, but it only works for certain songs. Sex Type Thing unplugged and electric are great. Dead and Bloated sped up not so much. 

As for 2009 up to whenever Scott left I've never actually watched any of those performances because I know it wasn't the best for live shows. His voice just wasn't doing that well.
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 08:49:34 PM »

As for 2009 up to whenever Scott left I've never actually watched any of those performances because I know it wasn't the best for live shows. His voice just wasn't doing that well.

Oh you're not missing out on anything trust me... I was very fortunate to see them live for the first time in 2002.  That was one of the better shows I've ever been to in my life.  Weiland was ON, his voice was great, he was every bit the stage god that he's hyped up to be.  The songs were played at great tempos.  They were so on top of their game.

I saw them next in 2008, 2009, 2010 (the show they released on dvd), 2011, and 2012.  In my opinion NONE of those shows ever even came close in quality to when I saw them in 2002.  The band was always super late in starting, played okay musically, some technical troubles here and there which I can't dock them for; but Weiland was always disappointing.  He just always kind of stood there.  He didn't move like he used to, he didn't command the crowd like he used to, and his voice sounded weak, old, and weathered.  Something was always just lacking with the energy and a lot of it had to do with tempo.  The worst of those shows was in Rockford in 2011.  The songs were played SO slow and it was so bad that I really was tempted to just accept that I wasted $70 on a ticket and make the drive back to Chicago early.  I did end up making it through the whole set, but it was memorable only for the sense of how bad they were and how disappointed I was.  When you've seen first hand how good this band actually is, and what their potential is then you definitely know when they aren't living up to it. 

Also I wanted to say that I totally agree with what you said about Sex Type Thing unplugged.  Although that was more than just tempo, it was a totally different approach to the song overall. Great vision on their part! 

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 09:09:27 PM »

Oh you're not missing out on anything trust me... I was very fortunate to see them live for the first time in 2002.  That was one of the better shows I've ever been to in my life.  Weiland was ON, his voice was great, he was every bit the stage god that he's hyped up to be.  The songs were played at great tempos.  They were so on top of their game.

I saw them next in 2008, 2009, 2010 (the show they released on dvd), 2011, and 2012.  In my opinion NONE of those shows ever even came close in quality to when I saw them in 2002.  The band was always super late in starting, played okay musically, some technical troubles here and there which I can't dock them for; but Weiland was always disappointing.  He just always kind of stood there.  He didn't move like he used to, he didn't command the crowd like he used to, and his voice sounded weak, old, and weathered.  Something was always just lacking with the energy and a lot of it had to do with tempo.  The worst of those shows was in Rockford in 2011.  The songs were played SO slow and it was so bad that I really was tempted to just accept that I wasted $70 on a ticket and make the drive back to Chicago early.  I did end up making it through the whole set, but it was memorable only for the sense of how bad they were and how disappointed I was.  When you've seen first hand how good this band actually is, and what their potential is then you definitely know when they aren't living up to it. 

Also I wanted to say that I totally agree with what you said about Sex Type Thing unplugged.  Although that was more than just tempo, it was a totally different approach to the song overall. Great vision on their part!
Agreed, 2008-2012 were absolutely horrific. I don't think there was even 1 decent show that whole time. Scott does his stupid ass 'sway back and forth' movement on stage that looks stupid as fuck.

Slither

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 03:44:39 AM »

Agreed, 2008-2012 were absolutely horrific. I don't think there was even 1 decent show that whole time. Scott does his stupid ass 'sway back and forth' movement on stage that looks stupid as fuck.

I would say that's painting a canvas with an EXTREMELY broad brush. Were you even at any of the shows? They weren't vintage STP as these guys are not in their 20s anymore but they were far from horrific.
When STP had a cookout after filming the video for the Core single "Plush," Weiland made jerk chicken that was "spectacular," Dean raves.

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:42:42 PM »
I've noticed they have opted for slower tempos for most of the songs and they've gradually gotten slower over time. I don't know what the reasoning is, but I don't like it for the most part.

There are a few songs where the slower tempos work, as they give it a more dramatic feel: Big Empty, Down, maybe Lady Picture Show, but they don't really play that anymore.

The rest sound best either at tempo or even sped up a bit as you said, giving them more youthful energy. Songs like Crackerman and Trippin', which are supposed to be high energy songs, just sound silly slowed down.

moreSTPplz

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »

Are you drunk or having a bad day? Usually you don't post anything half this uneducated. I saw shows in 08-09 and 2010 that equaled 2002 STP for sure.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »

Are you drunk or having a bad day? Usually you don't post anything half this uneducated. I saw shows in 08-09 and 2010 that equaled 2002 STP for sure.

NO. Nothing has equaled 2002. If so, which dates? I'm sure there are videos out there to compare.
If you only knew..

JBattista

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Favorite Flavor: Watermelon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »

NO. Nothing has equaled 2002. If so, which dates? I'm sure there are videos out there to compare.
Man, if you think ANY show in 08-09 that equaled anything from 99-02 then I think you're the one that's drunk lol.

Blue

• Your Friend
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:53:48 AM »

The closest STP got to sounding like '02 around the reunion was '09 from July-October. They were really tight that tour. Scott was in great shape, voice and lifestyle, and the band was firing on all cylinders. It's a shame that didn't last, because we'd probably have the original line-up still if it.

http://youtu.be/CGvnzKHin80

http://youtu.be/TwP_HvkCQK4

Now, I can't honestly say that's as good as their best show in '02... But it's the best they were post-reunion, and it certainly isn't anywhere near "absolutely horrific'.
Grab the hate and drown it out...

littlelamb222

• my love is cool
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:27:02 AM »
Hey that actually wasn't that bad. Sin sounded okay as did Seven Caged Tigers. I mean obviously I wasn't at any of the 09 shows let alone any, but I know some parts during the tour his voice wasn't in top form.
I do give him credit though for going out there and doing what he loves.

P.S. I like how the Sin video was the Moghegan Sun one. Reppin Connecticut over here haha
"Where did Mary go... fluffy pillows... she swam away..." Ah shit!

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:33:24 AM »
Just to touch on some things you guys have said. 

1. You are correct, these guys aren't in their twenties anymore, but they also weren't in their twenties during the 99-02 run either.  ;)   In Weiland's case there are frontmen his senior who with the help of a personal trainer are in good enough shape to move around on stage with more energy than he had during the 08-12 run. (ie: Mick Jagger)  As for the rest of the band, I didn't think anything was ever lacking with their stage presence and I'm sure they would have no problem playing the songs at faster tempos.  Come to think of it; I haven't watched a ton of CheSTP videos but of the ones I have seen I have to admit, I haven't seen any where I've felt they've played something too slow. 

2. 99-02 are my favorite live performances hands down for a few reasons.  What a run they had!  Anyone who saw them live during this time period really saw something special.

3. When this band fires on all cylinders it's absolute magic.  There's no denying that.  The chemistry is unbelievable!

4. Back to tempos since that's the topic at hand.... I think the DVD that came with the original release of the "Thank You" cd is the best rock n' roll DVD I've ever owned.  If I want to reference what I feel would be perfect tempos for their songs I'd tell anyone to just watch the live performances on that DVD.