October 01, 2024, 05:51:37 AM

Author Topic: let me introduce myself  (Read 6867 times)

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: my new band
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 03:40:35 PM »
well i guess mainly rocking songs. i like that thought on art school girl. i have already brought it up. we are working on interstate love song, crackerman, sex type thing, wicked garden, and down right now. and yes hopefully if things go as planned i will share it with you.
i am smellin like a rose that somebody gave me on my birthday deathbed

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 04:03:07 PM »
i forgot to add that we are trying sour girl. i guess any suggestions of any type from soft to hard will work. we will just edit the set list concerning each venue.

Somba Nova

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cobhammar.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 04:21:24 PM »
i think down and maybe sex type thing would be your best bet for starting out. as you go on try out interstate and plush. if you want more, maybe try dead and bloated? meatplow would be cool to hear as a cover too. theres tons of songs you could try out. another great one might be unglued.
In Here, We\'re All Anemic.

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »
Quote from: "Somba Nova"
i think down and maybe sex type thing would be your best bet for starting out. as you go on try out interstate and plush. if you want more, maybe try dead and bloated? meatplow would be cool to hear as a cover too. theres tons of songs you could try out. another great one might be unglued.

ok thank you. for some reason im having trouble with the vocals of down but sex type thing is coming nicely. we already decided to work on ils i brought up plush. i forgot to mention we did talk about dead & bloated and i am pushing for it. i think meatplow is a good idea or unglued might not be too bad.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
Quote from: "Art School Boy"
i forgot to add that we are trying sour girl. i guess any suggestions of any type from soft to hard will work. we will just edit the set list concerning each venue.

I think if you guys are just starting you're biting off a lot going straight for sour girl. 

Try Crackerman or Unglued and then work on the harder ones.  STT and Sour girl have are much more punishing on screwups for guitar and vocals. 

So what kind of range do you have?  Can you compare your vocal range to another singer?  I'm guessing you're more of a mid/upper tenor if sour girl is more comfortable for you than STT.  Also which parts of STT are you struggling with.

Be sure you're doing some vocal exercises/warm ups on your pipes before you start. 

Also just some general advice, unless you are specifically an STP cover band, don't play more than one cover by the same artist at a show.  Its tacky. :)  Really, once you are playing out, unless you are a coverband playing at a bar, you should be playing 90% original works.  In the long run, you'll gain more fans that way. 

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »
well i stated i was having trouble with the vocals to down. stt isnt that for me. sour girl was something the guitarist played when it was just the two of us. i cant really hit all those notes but im training my ass off. i dont really know proper training technique but i do my best. i would say on a perfect day im a scott weiland from core. we are 95% stp. im working on original stuff but its rough. just adding we are all 17.

AdhesiveLove27

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 06:15:20 PM »
I suggest to do what your voice (and ur band) can handle.. Just test a bunch of songs out in reherals and see what fits well... Then get yourself a pair of bright green pants and do a few shows :D
\\\"If You Don\\\'t Stop Thinkin\\\' Soon You Will Be Drinkin\\\' And You\\\'re Better Off Just Stay

Atlantic

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 05:39:59 AM »
Maybe you and your band could try out some songs that STP will likely NOT play on this tour, like Adhesive! Haha, that'd be pretty neat.

Uh, I suppose you could pull anything from Core and rock out on it. I think that if I were in a band I'd go for a Core/Purple setlist and avoid everything from Tiny Music and No. 4. SLDD is up for grabs. You guys should do Vasoline. Ah, there are way too many songs to consider here.

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
yeah thank you. we are kinda doing exactly what you are saying.

Olivia

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2008, 07:03:40 PM »
Have you downloaded the Wicked Sync Sampler? The instrumentals would be great for you to practice a lot of your vocals on your own with - you could record yourself and listen back, too.

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2008, 11:39:53 PM »
i have actually been doing that. it is a really big help. im gonna start recording myself. thanks a whole lot.

stpnj2008

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 03:19:40 AM »
Big Empty would be an amazing track to cover if you have a guitar player that can hold his own on slide.

Art School Boy

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 04:38:43 AM »
yeah i can play that one myself but i have a very hard time doing both playing guitar and singing at the same time.