October 02, 2024, 05:37:33 AM

Author Topic: Schoolhouse Rock  (Read 4182 times)

filthyrich

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Schoolhouse Rock
« on: January 19, 2010, 01:17:28 AM »
Hey all,
  I joined this forum specifically because I can't find info about this ANYWHERE on the Net, and I figured if anyone would know....
  Back in the early '90s (I'm guessing the era between Core and Purple, although I could be wrong), my local alt-rock station played a cover of "Conjunction Junction" from the old "Schoolhouse Rock" cartoons that sounded EXACTLY like Stone Temple Pilots. If it wasn't Scott Weiland, it was his vocal doppleganger.
  Of course, when the Schoolhouse Rock "tribute" CD appeared, Better Than Ezra were doing "Conjunction Junction" instead. Does anyone have ANY info about the STP version? Was it ever released? Am I losing my mind?? (I swear I'm not crazy... I remember hearing this several times on the radio...)

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance/etc...
Rich

Suffer_Long

• Super Magic Robot
  • Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Schoolhouse Rock
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 10:34:03 PM »
You're not crazy.  I remember hearing that STP was supposed to be on the album, and I think they were even supposed to cover Conjunction Junction.  I remember being very excited about this, but when the album came out, STP wasn't on it.  I don't know if any of this was official or just rumor, but I definitely heard this info from somewhere back in the day.

However, I never heard a recording nor am I aware that a recording exists.  My knowledge is only of the rumor before the compilation was released.  Sorry that I can't help you identify the version you heard, but at least I can verify that there was a rumor that STP was supposed to be on the album.
Sin make me strong.

filthyrich

• Arrival
    • View Profile
Re: Schoolhouse Rock
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
Thanks for the info. I guess I apparently heard a VERY rare STP recording on my local radio then! At the time I wasn't on the Internet, so I had no way of tracking the recording down... but I guess I assumed it was on an import single or something. It's very odd that a recording made it all the way to radio--meaning someone MUST have sent out promos to at least a few stations--but it's never surfaced.

Now I really want to track this down. I remember it being a very cool version... same tempo as the original but heavier, Scott doing his kinda "growly" voice, and the guitars not especially overdriven. A bit closer to the Tiny Music sound than Core. (Definitely better than the released Better Than Ezra one!)

--Rich