September 19, 2024, 04:28:15 PM

Author Topic: Kretz and Kinney and the like  (Read 6611 times)

wickedpilot

• Co-Pilot
  • STP is kewl.
    • View Profile
    • www.stonetemplecopilots.com
Re: Kretz and Kinney and the like
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:25:40 PM »
Well I'm glad this topic came up, I agree with most of you on your stance with Eric.  But I have been playing drums professionally for about 15 years, and in that time of me playing I've learned the best musicians know when NOT to play. This means that you don't have to be a Joey Jordison of Slipknot to be considered good (the only reason I bring him up is because many think he is a god on drums, you wanna see a god on drums search for Thomas Lang on YouTube.)  I think Jordison is incredibly overrated as a drummer, and when you put an STP song in front of him to play, chances are it would sound like shit.  Kretz plays behind the beat a lot-he's lazy on purpose, that's his signature sound.  He also doesn't record with a click in the studio, nor does he play with one live.  His playing has a lot to do with the 'sonic' quality of STP's music.  
Also, I have always loved Chamberlain's playing, he is a VERY solid drummer with smooth, quick hands, and a good ear for parts.  Again, he's a drummer that only plays what is needed without feeling the need to "show off" like someone like Jordison.
"Let's all fake happiness, we'll put on a good show."
"They hold for ransom all the watered down truth's that splintered your-faith."

zackrandal

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 11:05:39 PM »
Quote from: "wickedpilot"
Well I'm glad this topic came up, I agree with most of you on your stance with Eric.  But I have been playing drums professionally for about 15 years, and in that time of me playing I've learned the best musicians know when NOT to play. This means that you don't have to be a Joey Jordison of Slipknot to be considered good (the only reason I bring him up is because many think he is a god on drums, you wanna see a god on drums search for Thomas Lang on YouTube.)  I think Jordison is incredibly overrated as a drummer, and when you put an STP song in front of him to play, chances are it would sound like shit.  Kretz plays behind the beat a lot-he's lazy on purpose, that's his signature sound.  He also doesn't record with a click in the studio, nor does he play with one live.  His playing has a lot to do with the 'sonic' quality of STP's music.  
Also, I have always loved Chamberlain's playing, he is a VERY solid drummer with smooth, quick hands, and a good ear for parts.  Again, he's a drummer that only plays what is needed without feeling the need to "show off" like someone like Jordison.

i agree. im not really a drummer but whenever i have a discussion with someone about guitar theyre always like "well how fast can you shred???"  to me, excessive fireworks and showing off kind of take away from the peformance, on any instrument. whatever youre playing you need to just go with the song, do what sounds right, and the only time i think technical skills really matter is when youre soloing (and even then you can still pull off a simple solo and make it sound good). so i like that eric doesnt do a lot of crazy shit like the slipknot guy, because it just doesnt fit their style. but still.....hes fucking good anyway. the only thing i have to say about him is "naked sunday". holy shit.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 11:04:08 PM »
Quote from: "wickedpilot"
Kretz plays behind the beat a lot-he's lazy on purpose, that's his signature sound.

Very well said - plus holding it back like that, being almost late on the beat, adds power & texture. Sean Kinney does much the same thing, live especially. It's an almost hypnotic quality imho.

VelvetLounngeFly

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 01:15:36 AM »
Heres the thing...someone like Ray Luzier who is an amazing talent plays drums to the song unlike others like Kretz, Sorum, or Kinney who play for the song. If you watch videos of Kretz during the Core/Purple his drumming was heavier and technical same thing with Sorum during GNR days and as yrs went by they made their sets smaller because that actually challenges you more. If you have a bunch of toms and a ton of shit you can sit there and bang shit like Animal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_%28Muppet%29) people are gonna think you're fuckin amazing but if you play with a more in the pocket style people tend to miss how hard it actually is.

Kretz is an amazing drummer and his beats from Vasoline to Down just show you how strong his back beat and how much he thinks of how he can shape a song into something really amazing.
If you only knew..