September 28, 2024, 11:10:15 PM

Author Topic: Self Titled 2010 (Peace) Vs. Self Titled 2018 (Butterfly), which do you prefer?  (Read 1589 times)

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I think most fans would agree that these 2 records are the weakest in the bands catalogue (not including High Rise), not to say they are bad records by any means but certainly not on par with the first 5 ‘classic’ albums.
Both self produced by the Deleo’s and one being Scott’s last and the other being Jeff’s first, I wondered which of these 2 self Titled records the fans here prefer?
I didn’t think it was fair to run this poll straight after the release of Butterfly but think now is a good time.

I think it’s very close personally, I’m not a huge fan of either record but both have a few tunes I like and some I just find kinda boring. Whilst being initially very disappointed with ‘Peace’ upon its 2010 release I think now since Scott has passed and I’ve revisited it, I have a new found liking for some of these tracks. I always loved ‘First Kiss On Mars’ but lately I’ve found myself jamming to more of the songs like ‘Between The Lines’, ‘Take A Load Off’ etc.
Regarding ‘Butterfly’ I think Jeff’s voice is strong and he’s got some good melodies but overall the record is kind of dull, I always loved ‘Meadow’ though and a few of the slower songs.

Peace edges it for me, but only just.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

lovemachine97

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I like both, 2010 has more standout tracks.

The problem isn’t that the DeLeos can’t produce, it’s that a producer’s role is different than the band or song writer’s goal. I’d love to see them continue to produce other bands. But they should bring someone in to produce STP’s.

No way someone in charge of directing the band to its fullest potential let’s Scott get away with “Come on come on now, yeah,” as a chorus lyric or hook.

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
One things for sure, the Army Of Anyone album is far superior to both of these... I’m still hoping they get together to make a follow up one day.
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

gblogical

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
IMO, The peace album is great, great songs and great mix. I couldn’t listen to the butterfly album, it’s mixed too loud and I got ear fatigue quick. I put it down quickly. Plus I’m at the point in my life that i listen to production more than the songs.

loungefly90

• Pilot
  • You're The Wonder In Everything That's Wonderful..
    • View Profile
For me, Butterfly absolutely destroys the first self-titled album. I will say the same thing that I have said time and time again on this site: I am glad some people don't mind that 2010 album, but for me it was a complete miss with not even one single song worth remembering or mentioning.

The band was completely disjointed on that album, all doing different things. Scott's melodies were terrible and the music was just a sloppy mess. Then, you have the current lineup not playing a single song from that album live since Jeff joined the group. This says a whole lot!

Take Butterfly. I don't "love" it either. It didn't change my life the way SLDD or Core did. But, Finest Hour, The Art of Letting Go, Thought She'd Be Mine, and Reds and Blues are all pretty good songs.

I think the reason why these albums are falling a little flat (at least for me) is the standard I personally put on the band to make great music and I put this standard on them because they are my favorite band and have proven they could make great music in the past. To me, Butterfly easily wins over the 2010 album. The music is better, the melodies are better, and the band was a cohesive unit.

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I really hoped that they would return to working with a producer. It’s unlikely with them having their own studio, but hell, at least bring in Nick DiDia to engineer it, if Brendan is out of the budget.

Don’t get me wrong, I like both Peace and Butterfly (and High Rise too), but as noted here before, the production isn’t elite.

I’d be willing to bet that the upcoming “acoustic” album is also self-produced.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

Stiff Toilet Paper

• Arrival
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile

Dean's guitar work is the only reason I'd listen to each (I rarely do though). I really wish I could have instrumental only version of both albums. ;)

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
I like Butterfly but Peace is better
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
The 2018 self-titled wins for me. The only good song on Peace is 'First Kiss on Mars'.
I had the midwife naked and alone

RhettButler

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Peace has some great songs and nothing really bad, but something just isn't right, and I can't put my finger on it.

Overall, Peace is a stronger, more cohesive album.