July 01, 2024, 02:55:43 AM

Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers full album "The Getaway" streaming on Spotify  (Read 5159 times)

leocal79

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers full album "The Getaway" streaming on Spotify
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 01:46:48 AM »
Never disliked or questioned but enjoyed the changes in vocals and style from STP from one album to the next.I just feel RHCP have run out of steam
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 02:27:43 AM by leocal79 »

loungefly611

• The Other Scott
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • Scott 'The Madness' Stessl
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 05:06:35 AM »
Enjoyed the album. By The Way is my favorite album of theirs. It seems like The Getaway is the spiritual successor.
Dedicated. Disgusting. Disturbing.

I'm just sittin' on this merry-go-round, and the music is too loud..

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2016, 05:15:06 AM »
Haven't heard the whole album, but every song I've heard so far is kinda mehhh except for Dark Necessities, which I dig.

I might buy a CD to play in the car since loungefly611 enjoys it and we have the same favorite Chili Peppers album....
Bleeda blooda

Down-Plush

• Chameleon
  • Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sing the song, or keep it inside.
    • View Profile
    • My bandcamp
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2016, 04:28:14 PM »
Haven't heard the whole album, but every song I've heard so far is kinda mehhh except for Dark Necessities, which I dig.

I might buy a CD to play in the car since loungefly611 enjoys it and we have the same favorite Chili Peppers album....
Go Robot is dope, if you haven't heard it yet.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2016, 03:41:17 AM »
Enjoyed the album. By The Way is my favorite album of theirs. It seems like The Getaway is the spiritual successor.
Same here man.  Its not quite as great as By The Way (also my favorite) to me, but its really close. 

Go Robot is dope, if you haven't heard it yet.
Totally my favorite on the CD, but there are a lot of good songs. 

If By the Way was your favorite, you should absolutely enjoy this album, in my opinion.

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2016, 04:41:37 AM »
Still jamming this record. This and new James Blake are in constant rotation for me lately.

"Go Robot" is great, and "The Hunter" gets better and better each time I listen to it.

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »
Saw this info regarding The Getaway on wikipedia.  Pretty interesting!
Kiedis in a May 9, 2016 interview on BBC Radio 2 said of the album that lyrically many of the songs were influenced by a two-year relationship that fell apart like a nuclear bomb and that his favorite song is "The Getaway".[11] Chad Smith discussed the album in a May 17, 2016 radio interview said the band loved Rick Rubin but they wanted to work with someone different this time, how it was important to change producers and be inspired in a different way. Smith also said "We Turn Red" was one of his favorite songs and that "Go Robot", another song he loves, which is very funky, likely would be a single.[12] In an interview with Pearl Jam's Mike McCready which was recorded in late April 2016 however aired on Sirius XM on May 18, 2016, Flea said that "Go Robot" was going to be the first single and described the song as a funny, funky, up-tempo jam and inspired by the Prince song "Controversy". In that same interview, Chad said that Josh Klinghoffer plays bass on "The Hunter" and that it was the only song on the album where Flea did not play on. Smith described Klinghoffer's playing as sounding like Paul McCartney.[13][14] The band confirmed during an album preview show on May 26, 2016 that the previously reported information of Elton John appearing on the album was true and that he plays piano on "Sick Love". Anna Waronker, best known for being the singer of That Dog, provides vocals on "The Getaway". In a June 7, 2016 interview, Kiedis said that Danger Mouse was the reason "Dark Necessities" became the first single. The band had pushed for "The Getaway" to be the first single while management and the record label wanted "Go Robot".[15]

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 03:48:19 AM »
Hmmm. So I bought the album today which is the first album I bought since Deftones' Gore and before that Weiland's Blaster.

Damn thing was almost 17 dollars, on a rack of new releases most of which were being sold for $9.99.

Didn't have a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but Dark Necessities has so far been the only song that really sticks out and I dig. I thought I would like Go Robot because you all like it and we all have good taste and listen to STP, but even that one I didn't really get.

The one thing that really stuck out during the first seven tracks is the production. I wish the chili peppers would have gotten rid of Rick Rubin two or three albums ago....

Danger Mouse is a stupid name, but the guy behind the name can get some real cool sounds out of the bands he's producing.
Bleeda blooda

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 02:22:00 PM »
Hmmm. So I bought the album today which is the first album I bought since Deftones' Gore and before that Weiland's Blaster.

Damn thing was almost 17 dollars, on a rack of new releases most of which were being sold for $9.99.

Didn't have a chance to listen to the whole thing yet, but Dark Necessities has so far been the only song that really sticks out and I dig. I thought I would like Go Robot because you all like it and we all have good taste and listen to STP, but even that one I didn't really get.

The one thing that really stuck out during the first seven tracks is the production. I wish the chili peppers would have gotten rid of Rick Rubin two or three albums ago....

Danger Mouse is a stupid name, but the guy behind the name can get some real cool sounds out of the bands he's producing.

Wow.  You paid almost $17 for an album???  And it was this new RHCP album?   :o
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 06:39:51 PM »
Wow.  You paid almost $17 for an album???  And it was this new RHCP album?   :o
That's what you get for buying CDs at the Sharper Image.

NickLorenza

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »
I have no clue what Sharper Image is, but it almost sounds like it would be the name of a men's salon.  Is it a mall-punk store similar to Hot Topic?

Aaron

• Global Moderator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2016, 12:54:04 AM »
I have no clue what Sharper Image is, but it almost sounds like it would be the name of a men's salon.  Is it a mall-punk store similar to Hot Topic?
It's pretty much the retail version of Skymall.  Grossly overpriced crap. 

andrew

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • I'm the milk man
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2016, 02:34:22 AM »
Nah no Sharper Image, I bought the CD at the Fred Meyer which is just some big grocery store owned by Kroger. Kind of a Walmart type store, but less Walmart-y..... I actually looked at Walmart the day before but didn't see the new album.

I guess I can call it a grower because it for sure gets better with more listens. Go Robot is mostly cool, but there's one part of it that is really ehhhhhh nah. The breakdown/solo is totally rad. I like This Ticonderoga a lot, and Encore.

The thing I miss is John Frusciante's backing vocals. I noticed in the credits that they have some female backing vocalist & a choir on different songs, and they're mostly parts I can hear John singing in my head.

Bleeda blooda