September 27, 2024, 03:19:38 PM

Author Topic: Six months later  (Read 7983 times)

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
Re: Six months later
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2016, 08:10:36 PM »
I posted this to my facebook & is a good live performance of song 'Piece of Pie'.  I personally believe that his vocals were fine until he joined VR & while I was impressed, I think his vocals were just not made to tackle that genre cuz if you think about it, that's when his vocals started to decline.  I know that drugs, alcohol, smoking, yada, yada, yada plays a role but his voice was not made for metal.

Funny, he introed it as a hippy song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGXP0zLkQ2w

8) :-* :(
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave

Virgojams

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2016, 04:00:09 AM »
      I was just thinking that the other day that it has been already six months. Realized this was going to be the first summer since 92' not really following what Scott was up to or reading any new news about him. On top of that for myself barely been able to listen to any Scott related music. Before he passed he was in my music rotation almost everyday even when there was a long period of time where STP nor Scott was putting out any new music. I was able to listen to Tiny Music earlier this year when it was the anniversary of the album coming out. Just still hard to swallow. I could only imagine what his family is going through. Lately I have been singing STP songs in my head or outloud and have been thinking about listening to those songs again.
               For some when Scott passed away people just played his music 24/7 to remember him. I definitely remembered him but it was too painful for me to even listen to 1 of his songs. I might be just at the start of being able to listen to any STP/VR albums or his solo stuff. He definitely had a deep impact on me when he passed. I couldn't even bare to listen to his holiday album when he passed away last December. I will listen to his music though if I hear it played on the radio.
           Just frustrates me the most that he passed away the way all the naysayers expected him to pass. Like he didn't get to prove everyone wrong and come out of it successful. He was successful in my eyes though musically just not the way we or anyone else wanted him to go. I always was hoping he would be like Keith Richards and be the sole survivor. Always wondered what kind of music he would be playing into his 50's and maybe even 60's. I think the way he was going that he would have had many many more albums out if he lived to his true golden age. Many solo albums and maybe a few STP albums here and there. So the fact that the rug was pulled from under himself and us all gives you a continued story that never got finished and that's the story we have to deal with. But at the end we all have to move on and just remember and appreciate all the great music he put out while he was on this colorful earth.

8)

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2016, 04:19:57 PM »
      I was just thinking that the other day that it has been already six months. Realized this was going to be the first summer since 92' not really following what Scott was up to or reading any new news about him. On top of that for myself barely been able to listen to any Scott related music. Before he passed he was in my music rotation almost everyday even when there was a long period of time where STP nor Scott was putting out any new music. I was able to listen to Tiny Music earlier this year when it was the anniversary of the album coming out. Just still hard to swallow. I could only imagine what his family is going through. Lately I have been singing STP songs in my head or outloud and have been thinking about listening to those songs again.
               For some when Scott passed away people just played his music 24/7 to remember him. I definitely remembered him but it was too painful for me to even listen to 1 of his songs. I might be just at the start of being able to listen to any STP/VR albums or his solo stuff. He definitely had a deep impact on me when he passed. I couldn't even bare to listen to his holiday album when he passed away last December. I will listen to his music though if I hear it played on the radio.
           Just frustrates me the most that he passed away the way all the naysayers expected him to pass. Like he didn't get to prove everyone wrong and come out of it successful. He was successful in my eyes though musically just not the way we or anyone else wanted him to go. I always was hoping he would be like Keith Richards and be the sole survivor. Always wondered what kind of music he would be playing into his 50's and maybe even 60's. I think the way he was going that he would have had many many more albums out if he lived to his true golden age. Many solo albums and maybe a few STP albums here and there. So the fact that the rug was pulled from under himself and us all gives you a continued story that never got finished and that's the story we have to deal with. But at the end we all have to move on and just remember and appreciate all the great music he put out while he was on this colorful earth.

8)

I agree with much of what you said. Once he made it through his 20's and 30's, I too expected him to just be one of those guys that survived it. You mention Keith Richards...that was my exact thought.

Listening back to his stuff is bittersweet. After he passed, I tried to jump right in and listen and watch. Celebrate his legacy. But there are still moments when reality kicks in.

I too hate that he lost his battle with addiction. But even more, if nothing else, I hoped that in death he would be admired and given his due. I feel that it hasn't happened. Maybe in time, it will. I also know this year has had a crazy number of high-profile deaths (Bowie, Lemmy, Prince, etc - just to name a few).

I hope that his (and their) musical legacy is rediscovered again and again for future generations. At this point, that's what I REALLY wish for.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CoconutBackwards

• Sky Captain
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2016, 01:09:55 PM »

8)

I agree with much of what you said. Once he made it through his 20's and 30's, I too expected him to just be one of those guys that survived it. You mention Keith Richards...that was my exact thought.

Listening back to his stuff is bittersweet. After he passed, I tried to jump right in and listen and watch. Celebrate his legacy. But there are still moments when reality kicks in.

I too hate that he lost his battle with addiction. But even more, if nothing else, I hoped that in death he would be admired and given his due. I feel that it hasn't happened. Maybe in time, it will. I also know this year has had a crazy number of high-profile deaths (Bowie, Lemmy, Prince, etc - just to name a few).

I hope that his (and their) musical legacy is rediscovered again and again for future generations. At this point, that's what I REALLY wish for.

It happened.  He was given his due.  He made millions upon millions of dollars in one of the most popular bands of the 90s.
Hr308: "Cuatro, i nearly did this because 5 g's is nothing to me."

Vaporized - "I can confirm that it's neither Gutt or Borja."

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2016, 03:38:57 PM »
He also had a resurgence with VR that really pushed his brand into a new direction
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

STPDRU

• Flight Attendant
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2016, 12:38:26 AM »
I don't have much to say except that it still makes me sad too. Someone mentioned earlier that it's as if Scott is on a long, much needed break from music and that he will return soon and do his thing. Yep, it does almost feel like that; but he really never is this time. Scott was the best.

Also, this site has been very helpful; I'm grateful it's still around.
First Show: November 4, 1996 Universal Amphitheater-Los Angeles
Last Show: November 4, 2015 Anaheim House of Blues

Had the time of my life in between. Thank You Scott

Comatose Commodity

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 12:19:40 PM »
I've accepted his fate long ago, but obviously it still bums one out that he's gone forever and that he never was able to change his destructive lifestyle. For his kids sake if for no one else. Probably often wanted to, but just couldn't.

It truly seems he was offered all the imaginable outside help in the world, but towards the end it was a constant battle and he ran out of luck. Even if he took some meds to help with bipolar disorder or whatever, it goes without saying you shouldn't be getting wasted with hard liquor and dope at the same time.

My opinion is that he didn't die a happy man and I won't change my opinion on that.Whatever mental issues, financial issues and stress he had, in the end he'd always go for the booze and drugs to try and cope, sadly.

While sobriety (and that means from everything, including alcohol) automatically wouldn't have fixed everything, it would have been absolutely necessary for someone with Scott's history, in order to get his life together.

.On the other hand, I feel that at last he's found some peace that he probably didn't have in the last few years. I'm not religious like that, but fuck it, I hope he's in heaven, playing in a good band...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:34:21 PM by Comatose Commodity »
I had the midwife naked and alone

Westenn

• Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2016, 09:14:15 AM »
I posted this to my FB on July 7, 2010.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond.  It says it's from a 2002 bootleg.

You were caught in the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhphET6-s0#t=58

8) :-* :'(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:17:51 AM by Westenn »
And I Got U 2 Paint the Roses on My Grave