September 30, 2024, 05:26:38 AM

Author Topic: Nick Maybury is the Wildabouts New Guitarist  (Read 3732 times)

Ajax11

• Flight Attendant
    • View Profile
Nick Maybury is the Wildabouts New Guitarist
« on: April 23, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
Looks like Scott Weiland and Co. have found a replacement for the departed Jeremy Brown. Glad to see they are moving forward despite this tragedy, and that they intend on playing the shows they have scheduled.

Per Scott Weiland's facebook:
"Jeremy had big shoes and no one can fill them.  He was my best friend and my collaborator.  But we have to soldier on.  Nick is an incredible player and is a great fit for the Wildabouts."
 Nick Maybury came to Los Angeles as a member of the Australian band Mink.  His first L.A. gig was with Perry Farrell, and he’s gone on to play on stage and in the studio with a wide variety of artists including Debbie Harry, Michele Branch, The Madden Brothers, the Sayers Club, Alice Cooper, the Veronicas and Dave Navarro.
 The tour dates begin this weekend in Jacksonville, FL and continue into summer... more dates on scottweiland.com or the tour dates page here on Facebook."

DankoJones

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Nick Maybury is the Wildabouts New Guitarist
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 08:07:46 PM »
Looking forward to seeing the new incarnation of the band in a couple of weeks
"There's a dusty rose where the promise of love used to be"

Sklashboombash

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 08:52:05 PM »

New band photo.
STP: 07.31.00 | 08.04.01 | 10.24.01 | 04.23.02 | 10.11.02 | 05.31.08 | 09.05.10
SW: 11.30.11 | 03.12.13 | 08.29.14 | 03.10.15
VR: 05.28.04 | 05.18.07 || AoA: 02.01.07
CheSTP: 09.06.13 | 04.25.15 | 09.20.15 || JeffTP: 07.28.18 | 09.15.19

CagedTiger

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 12:38:35 AM »
Since I hadn't heard of this guy before (despite watching countless 'Camp Freddy' videos over the years!) I thought I'd check him out on YouTube.
The guy can certainly play and he looks the part too...

http://youtu.be/2Aqdy0rY578
Nothing matters again, I didn\'t think we\'d last that long

Manxita

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Sour girl / happy girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 03:12:51 AM »
Nick Maybury posted this photo today:

https://instagram.com/p/15qDOfiVcY/

Can someone please explain Scott's moustache? xD
"I am trampled under sole of another man's shoes...Guess I walked too softly"

EyesOfDisarray

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 05:41:22 AM »
http://youtu.be/2Aqdy0rY578

Cool video! Nick sounds and looks great. Hoping he turns out to be a good fit for the Wildabouts. Happy for them.

Rik

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
    • http://www.belowempty.com
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:07:54 PM »

Even though this is from another topic, I think the quote fits here. Didn't want to reply in the other one.

I'm glad to hear you liked the performance.  I really think this new guitarist has some spark in his playing. I first noticed it on Vasoline actually. He didn't sound like someone putting their own spin on it making it a cheesy cover.  His tone was great and at least to me it sounded as close to Dean's playing on the song as anyone else I've heard Scott use in that role.

I hate judging YouTube videos (and I believe there are way too many assumptions/judgements made based upon them these days), but from the bad quality they deliver, I was at least able to hear that Nick really tries to get different tones and feels. The first video I watched was one of Meatplow and I noticed that he used the chorus/flanger effect behind 'they got these pictures of everything' to contrast it with the next section, much like on the studio recording from 'Purple'. I really wonder how it translates live in the actual environment of the show,instead of a crappy YouTube video.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:34:58 PM by Rik »

STP92

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
  • Don't let the living die yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 05:02:56 PM »

Even though this is from another topic, I think the quote fits here. Didn't want to reply in the other one.

I'm glad to hear you liked the performance.  I really think this new guitarist has some spark in his playing. I first noticed it on Vasoline actually. He didn't sound like someone putting their own spin on it making it a cheesy cover.  His tone was great and at least to me it sounded as close to Dean's playing on the song as anyone else I've heard Scott use in that role.

I hate judging YouTube videos (and I believe there are way too many assumptions/judgements made based upon them these days), but from the bad quality they deliver, I was at least able to hear that Nick really tries to get different tones and feels. The first video I watched was one of Meatplow and I noticed that he used the chorus/flanger effect behind 'they got these pictures of everything' to contrast it with the next section, much like on the studio recording from 'Purple'. I really wonder how it translates live in the actual environment of the show,instead of a crappy YouTube video.

There's just no comparing being there live to seeing it on YouTube, especially when the video is low quality.

Nick had great tones on all the STP songs, the intro part of Amethyst, and the bridge/outro of Parachute. The main riff of Amethyst was a bit muddy, but Nick sounded awesome overall. He really stole the show with some of those solos. At one point, he played a solo with his mouth and got a big reaction from the crowd, which made Scott and Tommy smile.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:08:46 PM by STP92 »

Txloungefly

• Co-Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 05:26:53 PM »
After seeing him in Houston, I was really impressed too.  I went to follow his FB page and the only option was to send a friend request.  A few days later he posted that he was at his max friend number and to go to his musician page to follow.  Last week, I got a personal message from him thanking me for the request, but he was at capacity.  He was super nice and responded back to me a few times.  Glad to see he's not only really talented, but humble and appreciates the new fans he has!

BillMurraylovesSTP

• Im streets ahead
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
After seeing him in Houston, I was really impressed too.  I went to follow his FB page and the only option was to send a friend request.  A few days later he posted that he was at his max friend number and to go to his musician page to follow.  Last week, I got a personal message from him thanking me for the request, but he was at capacity.  He was super nice and responded back to me a few times.  Glad to see he's not only really talented, but humble and appreciates the new fans he has!

same here, he responded on twitter and and Instagram after i asked him a few questions

very cool down to earth person. at the 4-26 -15 show  i walked up and he was like you are the guy I have been talking to on twitter.. I was shocked he remembered...

he and Joey C. signed a old guitar of mine, and I some how got Mr Weiland to sign it too at the end of the Show Birmingham,AL show

follow me on
@Jrlthinks on instagram
@lakethinks twitter

sbuxreg

• Contributors
  • Pilot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/sbuxreg
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2015, 01:31:27 AM »
he responded to me on FB that his requests were maxed out. Met him at Rock on the Range and he shook my hand. nicest guy ever! I was really impressed with his playing at ROTR. He even played the guitar with his teeth for a breif period of time!  I wrote him back on FB thanking him for the autograph and told him what a good job he did on stage and he replied back and thanked me.!