September 24, 2024, 04:24:15 AM

Author Topic: Scott Interview - July 16, 2014 - leSoleil (in French)  (Read 5964 times)

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
Re: Scott Interview - July 16, 2014 - leSoleil (in French)
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 07:09:29 PM »
Ya Strat , I was thinking the same thing . Just saw him put on an incredible show in Saskatoon ( Canada ) to maybe 150 people . It was the best  show of his I have seen . Perhaps he has burned a few bridges with fans because of previous messed up shows , but can't see how they could possibly be making money playing to such small crowds . Hopefully he can stay on course and win back some of his fan base !

Just a quick back-of-the-napkin analysis. Some of you know more about touring than I do, so feel free to adjust.

150 x $40 = $6000. Not sure what kind of arrangement Scott has with the venue, but let's assume 50/50 split, leaves $3000. 10% to the promoter = $2700. After food, gas, tolls, lights, sound etc. probably $2000 left. I'm assuming they sleep on the bus, hotels would take most of the $2000 (need to sleep even if the band isn't playing that night). I imagine Scott gets half, and the band splits the other half. That's a lot of work and trouble for $1000, though I imagine other nights are more lucrative.

The best solution would be to open for a bigger act to gain exposure for the new music and build the fan base. Like Slash opening for Aerosmith. Trouble is, would a big act trust Scott to show up sober and on time every night? It's bad enough when the headliner takes the stage an hour late, but nobody will tolerate that from an opening act.

Stop That Pigeon

• Contributors
  • Sky Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »
Getting out there and getting some positive momentum was a must.   No matter how small.  Hopefully, he can follow up this with a solid album that gets him back in the game so that...gulp STP can even consider him as an option.       

Strangely, I find myself in total agreement with you. Have a recommend!  ;)

Strat

• Pilot
  • Arrivals
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2014, 08:02:02 PM »
"His recent solo activities have to be seen as an investment.  Getting out there and getting some positive momentum was a must.   No matter how small.  Hopefully, he can follow up this with a solid album that gets him back in the game so that VR and gulp STP can even consider him as an option." -C.P.

Definitely an investment. If Scott continues to perform well, he'll be invited to festivals where he can reach a bigger audience. STPwCB might be at some of those festivals too. Both bands need exposure, best way to get it is via festivals or as an opening act on a big tour.